Prescription Meds

I'm bringing prescription meds on board in a pill sorter. I have so many that adding the bottles would mean packing an extra bag. I can do that if I HAVE to, but I was thinking of taking pictures of the pharmacy labels on my phone instead.

Anyone experience this? Are pictures sufficient?

None of the meds are controlled dangerous substances. We are talking heart and lung meds.

Edited by GiftieEtcetera

We were advised by a friend to get the " blister packs" that the pharmacy can do up. The labels are on the back of the card. I'll try to find a photo or link and add it to this post. Have never tried doing that type of thing on a tablet so may be trial and error.....

Not can't get image to save but if you type prescription medications blister packs several photos will come up. Sorry..........

Edited by Shih-tzu
Added sentence

I always put my meds in a sorter EXCEPT my controlled pain med. It comes in the real bottle. I'm sure they have a drug book where they can look up which pill is what if they are curious. I'm sure no body wants to smuggle my heart meds on for their own personal pleasure!

It might be wise to have a list of your meds with you, not for Customs, but for health reasons, esp. if they are cardiac and lung.

If you are unfortunate to have a health issue come up, 1st responders on an isle or the health crew on board won't have to guess at what meds you are on.

I know that in times of stress it can be difficult to recite meds and dosage from memory, so a list of some sort can save time for the health attendants and insure accuracy.

It seems almost every cruise I've been on lately there has either been a heli med evac, an ambulance pulled up to the port or someone is in an accident in port and can't return to the ship.

Being on vacation doesn't insulate one from your health issues.

I'm bringing prescription meds on board in a pill sorter. I have so many that adding the bottles would mean packing an extra bag. I can do that if I HAVE to, but I was thinking of taking pictures of the pharmacy labels on my phone instead.

None of the meds are controlled dangerous substances. We are talking heart and lung meds.

Pictures not needed, I to take many prescription pills and I always take them in a week type pill sorter, morning and night, and for my pain meds (should I need them), controlled substances I leave them in their pharmacy pill bottle.

never had any issues.

If you have a I-phone the health app can be used to list all you meds, emergency contacts and allergies, Works great at the doctor office too, when asked what med are you on, just pull up the app and hand to the nurse:)

No one on the ship cares what meds you take!

No one in customs cares either when you return.

IF you are flying to your cruise they also don't usually care about any of your meds. They would only care if you are bringing large quantities of heavy duty pain killers .

I doubt if you are going to any countries like Japan which have stricter rules but other than that you can take the meds however you choose.

My pharmacy gives me a paper with instructions and warnings for each scrip. The top of each page has the drug name, information, and such. I cut off the top of each of these and make copies to carry with.

My pills are in one or two weekly holders.

I never had to prove what I had with me.;)

No pictures needed.

Any controlled substance, ie narcotic, should be in its original container. Are you going to get stopped? Unlikely. If you are stopped, however, you can be in legal hot water. Also, if you are on narcotics, take just enough for a few days longer than your trip, as you do not want appear to have significantly more than you need for your time away from home.

We always take what prescriptions we have in the original containers and carry them on the ship when we board. Our reason for doing so is simply because once on a cruise, dh got dizzy, felt sick, & passed out on me, outta the blue. They called the medics, they asked me what all he took, I went to the room to get his pill bottles only to find, he had put the different meds he took into a pill sorter, and I had no way of knowing the dosage of what he took, the names that you can't pronounce of what he took or anything. When I went back to the infirmary where he was, thankfully he was awake, and it turned out to be dehydration according to them. He couldn't name off but 2 of the 4 he takes, but after a day of rest and lots of rehydration, thankfully, he was fine. My point being, it's not a question of being questioned about the meds and whether or not they're yours, but what if in an emergency situation? Will your significant other or other family members be able to tell paramedics what they need to know? Will they know you took a pic on your phone of the labels? Will they know you brought a printout of the pharmacy instructions? Something definitely worth thinking about.

Edited by bubbles1209

As a health care provider, there is a lot, that people just are not considering, having the meds in the original container clearly identifies the med. NO emergency personnel is going to take your word or a "list" of meds in critical care. The pill bottles have a lot of information on it, officially, and easy to confirm through several sources. You have no idea the numbers of "med errors" involved in today's heath care.

The past means nothing, and it lulls people into naive thinking. All that has to happen, is one "incident", and bad habits could come back- with negative outcomes.

We always take what prescriptions we have in the original containers and carry them on the ship when we board. Our reason for doing so is simply because once on a cruise, dh got dizzy, felt sick, & passed out on me, outta the blue. They called the medics, they asked me what all he took, I went to the room to get his pill bottles only to find, he had put the different meds he took into a pill sorter, and I had no way of knowing the dosage of what he took, the names that you can't pronounce of what he took or anything. When I went back to the infirmary where he was, thankfully he was awake, and it turned out to be dehydration according to them. He couldn't name off but 2 of the 4 he takes, but after a day of rest and lots of rehydration, thankfully, he was fine. My point being, it's not a question of being questioned about the meds and whether or not they're yours, but what if in an emergency situation? Will your significant other or other family members be able to tell paramedics what they need to know? Will they know you took a pic on your phone of the labels? Will they know you brought a printout of the pharmacy instructions? Something definitely worth thinking about.

Sorry you had that situation and glad it worked out okay.

This is exactly the point of my post #6 above. Since the OP states he/she brings heart and lung meds, it is helpful to have a list of those meds and their dosage.

It might be wise to have a list of your meds with you, not for Customs, but for health reasons, esp. if they are cardiac and lung.

If you are unfortunate to have a health issue come up, 1st responders on an isle or the health crew on board won't have to guess at what meds you are on.

I know that in times of stress it can be difficult to recite meds and dosage from memory, so a list of some sort can save time for the health attendants and insure accuracy.

It seems almost every cruise I've been on lately there has either been a heli med evac, an ambulance pulled up to the port or someone is in an accident in port and can't return to the ship.

Being on vacation doesn't insulate one from your health issues.

This is THE answer. I would vote for this answer instead of everyone saying that no one care. the first responders WILL ABSOLUTELY CARE when they need to give you help and have NO CLUE what you are taking and if any of your meds will conflict with what they are giving you. YOU SHOULD CARE what will happen in this situation. Better safe than sorry.

As a health care provider, there is a lot, that people just are not considering, having the meds in the original container clearly identifies the med. NO emergency personnel is going to take your word or a "list" of meds in critical care. The pill bottles have a lot of information on it, officially, and easy to confirm through several sources. You have no idea the numbers of "med errors" involved in today's heath care.

The past means nothing, and it lulls people into naive thinking. All that has to happen, is one "incident", and bad habits could come back- with negative outcomes.

A simple laminated "ICE" card, the size of a credit card which lists medications, dosage, and emergency contacts comes in real handy while on a cruise. Any competent medical professional won't be doling out medicine from the supplies I carry with me, in case of emergency, without verifying the pill they are giving me is actually the medication I need....grabbing a labeled pill bottle is no more safe...they need to verify that the pill is what it is labeled as.

I was going to say the same thing as sweet Dutch girl. But, I have a ice app on my phone . Works great you can update your prescriptions on it . I carry all my bottles ( 15 of them) just in case. Something happens and I get stuck a couple of days extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We take all our meds in a weekly pill organizer including; narcotics and even prescribed synthetic THC (Marijuana) pills. No original containers needed the pharmacy gives us a print out of what pills/dosage we have with us if there are any questions.