Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:49 AM.
Pennsylvania
51 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
"Best bet about whether or not it is worth it for the OP is to do what a few folks have recommended, check out the current drink prices, average out how much you think each of you would drink of the various beverages each day and see where you land. "

I like this idea, but I do not know where to find drink prices. I sailed last summer and I cannot remember how much they cost. My wife and I always get the Cheers package because I like the cost certainty and I drink quite a bit. Sailing on the Horizon out of NYC this summer and I do not think Cheers starts until day 2 of the cruise if you sail out of that port. I am wondering whether or not to buy Cheers or Cruise Cash. Any suggestions or can you show me drink prices? Thanks.
1,239 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by ParrotRob
Do not listen to the people that tell you to avoid it if your wife doesn't drink. The bottom line is to add up all your anticipated drink costs for both of you, and if it exceeds $750 it's worth it. If not, it isn't. It's really pretty simple. And it doesn't take that long to get to $750 if you're drinking $10.95 Alchemy drinks and $12.50 bloody marys

How dare you bring logic and common sense to this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Baton Rouge
971 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by LJN22
I am wondering whether or not to buy Cheers or Cruise Cash. Any suggestions or can you show me drink prices? Thanks.
IIRC, all the drinks at Alchemy were $10.95 in November 2017. Well drinks run $6.95 to $9.95. Top-shelf (which is what you want if you have Cheers) will run $9.95 to $16.95. There are a few things scattered here and there that run $19.95, but you have to search for them. Beers start at $5.95. Sodas, I think are $2.95. Those prices are before gratuity.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
11/18/18: NCL Breakaway (Coz, Belize, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya)
5/23/19: NCL Jade (European Cruise)

Past Cruises:
7/28/18: RC Majesty of the Seas (KW, Cuba)
6/10/18: Carnival Dream (MoBay, GC, Cozumel)
11/19/17: Carnival Dream (KW, Freeport, Nassau)
6/3/17: NCL Escape (St Thomas, Tortola, Nassau)
5/28/16: RC Adventure of the Seas
10/26/14: Carnival Dream
11/9/13: Carnival Conquest
10/1/11: Carnival Ecstasy
5/15/11: Carnival Victory
2/7/10: NCL Spirit
3/2/08: NCL Spirit
5/20/07: RC Adventure of the Seas
5/30/04: Carnival Conquest
7/7/02: Carnival Elation
5/27/01: Carnival Destiny
1,413 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by LuckyZ
So is the limit still $10 per drink using Cheers ? Can I get a martini at Alchemy using Cheers ?

Limit is $50, quoted from Carnival:

Please note: The following beverages are included in the price of your cruise and are served in the Main Dining Room and available 24/7 in the Lido Restaurant: non-bottled water, lemonade, unsweetened iced tea, hot chocolate and non-specialty coffee and tea.
The following beverages are available within the CHEERS! program:
  • All spirits, including cocktails, cognacs, whiskies and other spirits, as well as beer and wine (and Champagne) by the glass, with a $50 USD or lower menu price per serving
  • Zero-Proof frozen cocktails (including smoothies), sodas (including specialty sodas) and juices
  • Specialty coffees and hot tea served in the main dining rooms, specialty restaurants and coffee bars
  • Milkshakes, where applicable
  • RockStar energy drinks, Powerade, Vitamin Water, Coconut Water and Honest Tea
  • 500ml bottled water and other non-alcoholic bottled beverages served in bars and lounges
  • Large format (1 liter and 1.5-liter) bottles of water in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants
  • 25 percent discount off the menu price for any spirit, cocktail or wine by the glass, costing above $50 USD per serving
  • 25 percent discount off the menu price for wine and champagne by the bottle and larger format water bottles purchased outside the main dining rooms or specialty restaurants
  • 25 percent discount off beverage seminars and classes
Please note
  • Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise (starting at 6:00am) for voyages departing from our Texas and New York home ports.
  • Program only applicable for onboard purchases.
  • CHEERS! is not offered on 2 day cruises, charter cruises, on ships sailing from Australia (Carnival Legend, Carnival Spirit and Carnival Splendor) and beverage purchases made at Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays in The Bahamas.
Beverages excluded from the program are:
  • Beverages promoted and sold in souvenir glasses
  • Bottles of liquor
  • Beverages offered at the gangway
  • Beverages offered through room service, mini bars and/or other in-stateroom beverage programs
  • Sharing cocktails, floaters, pitchers, tubes and buckets
  • Beverages offered through enomatic wine machines and self-serve beer stations
  • Freshly squeezed orange juice served in the Havana Bar
  • All other beverage-related programs including merchandise, cigars and cigarettes
  • Food items
The Motor City
937 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Thanks. Did it used to be $10 per drink ?

I believe other cruise lines the limit is $10. Also try this Beverage Package Evaluator. Just fill out the yellow spots and it should auto calculate. You can change the prices such as; price p/drink, price p/package ect....... When you are done it will say YES-green or No-red simple to use. FYI this was made for Princess cruises but again you can change prices/drink names ects.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Carnival Beverage Package Evaluator rev0 posted 5-7-2014.xls (68.0 KB, 9 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Valor 6/30/13 Southern Caribbean *sailed*
RCCL Oasis of the Seas 6/30/2012 Eastern Caribbean *sailed*
NCL Pearl 6/12/10 Alaska *sailed*
Carnival Miracle 7/3/2005 Western Caribbean *sailed*
Baton Rouge
971 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Yes, I believe when it was first rolled out, there was a $10/drink limit. NCL has a $15/drink limit, but they don't limit the number of drinks you can get in a 24 hour period. Of course, NCL's "nicer" liquor is $16.95 to $19.95.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:

Past Cruises:
1,847 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Originally posted by Alaskan Joe
What's wrong with being hammered the entire cruise??....LoL
Besides, that's total bull****. $840 is 33 alchemy drinks per person over the course of an entire week. Who in the hell gets hammered for an entire week on 33 drinks? And if you buy Cheers ahead of time with a gift card discount, 38 becomes 28-33.

Two premium bloody Marys and two alchemy drinks a day makes cheers worth it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Glory - 5/19/18
Carnival Victory - 6/16/15
Carnival Fascination - 12/24/07
Carnival Triumph - 3/10/07
Carnival Victory - 7/15/06
USS Abraham Lincoln - CVN72 - 2001
New Jersey
1,531 Posts
Joined Jul 2011

Close it used to be $15 max price when they rolled out the program fleetwide. It may of been $10 during one of the testing phases.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NYE 17/18 CCL Pride
Dec 2017 CCL Pride
May 2017 -X- Summit
Nov. 2016 CCL Vista
Sept. 2016 CCL Pride
June 2016 CCL Pride
Mar. 2016 CCL Pride
Oct. 2015 NCL Breakaway
Sept 2015 CCL Splendor
Feb 2015 CCL Dream
May 2013 CCL Splendor
Apr 2013 CCL Splendor
Sept 2012 RCI Explorer of the Seas
May 2012 CCL Miracle
July 2011 CCL Glory
Oct 2010 CCL Pride
Sept 2010 CCL Glory
Aug 2003 RCI Sovereign of the Seas
July 1992 Premier Oceanic
June 1992 Premier Oceanic
May 1990 Premier Atlantic
OH
1,088 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by ParrotRob
Two premium bloody Marys and two alchemy drinks a day makes cheers worth it.
You've almost broken even for one person, on one day.
Southern NJ near Philly
7,942 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by maryred
Close it used to be $15 max price when they rolled out the program fleetwide. It may of been $10 during one of the testing phases.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app
It was 10.00 max when we had it on the Breeze in January of 2013 and it was still maxed at 10.00 two years later on the Freedom. At that time it was only good on alcohol, soda and juice. When the price increased to 50.00 per drink maximum, all of the other non alcoholic items were added.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Bliss 2/2/19 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Horizon 8/24/19 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Edge 1/5/20 Western Caribbean
32 Trips 26 Ships 7 Cruise Lines 40 Ports
21 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Worrying About Cost: (My primary motivation to buy Cheers). I love to drink. I like fancy mixed drinks and fine wines. I also love to not waste money. When I cruised without Cheers, I may have had a drink or two a day. Not because I don't drink much, but because I get cost conscious. When pre-purchasing Cheers, I don't even think about the cost anymore, as the money is spent. I will drink as much as I want, and sometimes a bit more. If I want to try something new but pricey (like something at the Alchemy Bar), my brain just processes it differently. Instead of "$13 for something I might hate," I think "That sounds interesting, I might like it. If not, I will just order something else in five minutes." I am a worrier when it comes to each individual purchase. When I buy Cheers, that decision is already made, so I can just order what I want, and not worry about it. The same goes for having a fine wine at dinner, ordering something at the comedy club, etc. So for me, and my habits, as long as the wife and I have the budget to pay for it, Cheers is a no-brainer for us. BUT once again, that is for us.

[/quote]

This right here just convinced me that Cheers is the best option for us. I relate a lot to what you posted. Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Baton Rouge
971 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by momto3girls
worrying about cost: (my primary motivation to buy cheers). i love to drink. I like fancy mixed drinks and fine wines. I also love to not waste money. When i cruised without cheers, i may have had a drink or two a day. Not because i don't drink much, but because i get cost conscious. When pre-purchasing cheers, i don't even think about the cost anymore, as the money is spent. I will drink as much as i want, and sometimes a bit more. If i want to try something new but pricey (like something at the alchemy bar), my brain just processes it differently. Instead of "$13 for something i might hate," i think "that sounds interesting, i might like it. If not, i will just order something else in five minutes." i am a worrier when it comes to each individual purchase. When i buy cheers, that decision is already made, so i can just order what i want, and not worry about it. The same goes for having a fine wine at dinner, ordering something at the comedy club, etc. So for me, and my habits, as long as the wife and i have the budget to pay for it, cheers is a no-brainer for us. But once again, that is for us.
this!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:

Past Cruises:
Michigan
354 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by momto3girls
This right here just convinced me that Cheers is the best option for us. I relate a lot to what you posted. Thanks!
Though I am long winded, I am glad you found my post helpful. Maybe Carnival will give me a small commission as an OBC (kidding of course)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Dream, Western Caribbean, 2018
Carnival Breeze, Western Caribbean (featuring Hurricane Harvey), 2017
Carnival Conquest, Bahamas, 2016
Carnival Dream, Western Caribbean, 2015
Carnival Liberty, Eastern Caribbean, 2014
Carnival Breeze, Eastern Caribbean, 2013
Carnival Victory, Southern Caribbean, 2012