Charter Music Cruises selling out

Chyna3032

So glad to help, Dees! Our favorite 'Sweet Sixteen' cabnis are the ones that I call 'corners' --6030 & 6035, respectively. they are not so far forward, and they don't have so much 'super-structure' in front of the balcony, as some of the other "SS" cabins do. I went back into the X board archives, and found a picture of the exterior of a 'Millie-Class' ship -- which includes Infinity. The person who posted it numbered the 'Sweet Sixteens". So, you can see what I mean, about the more forward cabins having 'superstructure'-- and the 'corners' having a GREAT view! We've never had a problem with excessive motion, or with any noise, from the Theater, downstairs. And, you are on a very quiet hallway. Anyhow -- hope this photo helps explain:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=19698018&postcount=13

Thanks so much for the photo WWCruiser! Looks like a great spot. I can't wait to see what will be available to us when the actual cabin booking opens up.

Been checking out the photos/video of the 2018 SJC and they are phenomenal. Has me beyond excited and I have 3 cruises to go on before it. LOL

I will keep you posted on what cabin we are assigned. Will you and hubby be on the 2020 too? It would be so awesome to meet you in person and any other CC folks going as well.

Dees -- my DH and I are planning to book the 20.2 cruise (we always do the second one). From what's been posted on the SJC website, it looks like we'll be able to get the cabin that we currently have booked for the 2019 SJC. Although we LOVED our 'corner Sweet Sixteen', on our last SJC -- we got really lucky, this last year. With a little effort and patience, we were able to snag one of the cabins that I like even more: one of the over-sized balcony cabins, on the stern (aft-facing). Celebrity's 'Millie-Class' ships have some lovely, unique cabins -- if you know where to look! ;)

I DO keep hoping that HATTACK will pop up and post again, soon. He was my guru, on this board -- back when we booked our first SJC. I seem to recall that he was planning an extensive 'land cruise' this summer -- so, maybe we'll hear from him, when he returns. In the meantime, if you pull up some of his old posts, on this thread, there is a gold-mine of information there -- about how jazz cruises work (and how they differ from 'regular' cruises). :cool:

And, of course, I'll be happy to try to answer any questions you have -- especially about X and Infinity. :)

I dug out my crystal ball today after looking at the dates of the SJC 2020 sailings.

The first sailing is 18-25 January 2020. Celebrity Infinity has a hole in her published sailings from 18 January (the end of a 5-night cruise) until 10 February (the start of a 5-night cruise) in a period when she is generally doing alternating 4-night and 5-night cruises.

That suggests that The Jazz Cruise and Blue Note at Sea will be on 25 January and 1 February respectively (or perhaps the other way around), leaving the ship with a further 9 nights to be filled either with one further pair of 4-night and 5-night cruises, or a further charter.

The second SJC sailing is 14-21 March 2020. At the moment, the published sailings over this period have not yet been taken off sale, but given past form I don't expect any SJC sailings to get cancelled!

I dug out my crystal ball today after looking at the dates of the SJC 2020 sailings.

The first sailing is 18-25 January 2020. Celebrity Infinity has a hole in her published sailings from 18 January (the end of a 5-night cruise) until 10 February (the start of a 5-night cruise) in a period when she is generally doing alternating 4-night and 5-night cruises.

That suggests that The Jazz Cruise and Blue Note at Sea will be on 25 January and 1 February respectively (or perhaps the other way around), leaving the ship with a further 9 nights to be filled either with one further pair of 4-night and 5-night cruises, or a further charter.

The second SJC sailing is 14-21 March 2020. At the moment, the published sailings over this period have not yet been taken off sale, but given past form I don't expect any SJC sailings to get cancelled!

Hopefully, X will notify the folks who've already booked that time slot, SOON -- and comp them for their troubles. But, yeah, X has NO problem chartering ships, with even closer sailing dates. I'm sailing on Eclipse in October, 2019 -- and the Pacific Coastal cruise, right after ours, just went 'poof'! Glad that we didn't book THAT one!

Dees -- my DH and I are planning to book the 20.2 cruise (we always do the second one). From what's been posted on the SJC website, it looks like we'll be able to get the cabin that we currently have booked for the 2019 SJC. Although we LOVED our 'corner Sweet Sixteen', on our last SJC -- we got really lucky, this last year. With a little effort and patience, we were able to snag one of the cabins that I like even more: one of the over-sized balcony cabins, on the stern (aft-facing). Celebrity's 'Millie-Class' ships have some lovely, unique cabins -- if you know where to look! ;)

I DO keep hoping that HATTACK will pop up and post again, soon. He was my guru, on this board -- back when we booked our first SJC. I seem to recall that he was planning an extensive 'land cruise' this summer -- so, maybe we'll hear from him, when he returns. In the meantime, if you pull up some of his old posts, on this thread, there is a gold-mine of information there -- about how jazz cruises work (and how they differ from 'regular' cruises). :cool:

And, of course, I'll be happy to try to answer any questions you have -- especially about X and Infinity. :)

Well I guess we'll just have to get the ship warmed up for you second sailing folks. Hahaha

The cabin you snagged...was it one like 6053 (balcony in a triangle shape)? I would love to snag one of those for us as well but I'll just be happy to get a 2B or 2A somewhere mid-ship.

I'm going to go hunt down Hattack's old threads and read up on all I've been missing. Have a lovely weekend.

Dees -- those triangle balconies are nice -- but I definitely prefer the 'Sweet Sixteen's. Interestingly enough they are 2C's -- the cheapest verandah cabins on the ship -- and you get a double-deep balcony! Oh, and what we moved to was an aft-facing C-1, on the stern.Those have balconies so big that you could play Frisbee, out there! I LOVE the aft wake -- to me, it sounds like a waterfall. And, the aft-facing view is amazing. You get to watch every port that you've been to, as it slowly fades into the distance! Of course, you can get the exact same effect at the Sunset Bar, with a nice libation in hand! ;)

The second SJC sailing is 14-21 March 2020. At the moment, the published sailings over this period have not yet been taken off sale,

When I checked the X website last night, that 5-nighter (3-14-20) is still showing up. So, I posted the Smooth Jazz 2020 charter dates, over on the X boards. I also pointed out that there may be more Infinity charter dates in the works, in that same general time frame. I know from experience how frustrating it can be, to spend all that time picking a cruise date, only to have it go 'poof', due to a charter. :eek:

Dees -- those triangle balconies are nice -- but I definitely prefer the 'Sweet Sixteen's. Interestingly enough they are 2C's -- the cheapest verandah cabins on the ship -- and you get a double-deep balcony! Oh, and what we moved to was an aft-facing C-1, on the stern.Those have balconies so big that you could play Frisbee, out there! I LOVE the aft wake -- to me, it sounds like a waterfall. And, the aft-facing view is amazing. You get to watch every port that you've been to, as it slowly fades into the distance! Of course, you can get the exact same effect at the Sunset Bar, with a nice libation in hand! ;)

I'm happy you were able to get your cabin of choice again. We got our first ever aft wrap balcony for our cruise out of NOLA next year so like you I'm beyond excited. It pays to book well in advance.

Just waiting and hoping I pre-saled a good place in line to get a cabin let alone one I want. SJC is sooo popular it almost is like a "fit in where you can get in" because so many past guests return year after year. Now my sister wants to come too so to say we are planning an epic mother/daughters girl's trip is an understatement. Lol

Just curious as to why you always book the 2nd sailing?

I'm happy you were able to get your cabin of choice again. We got our first ever aft wrap balcony for our cruise out of NOLA next year so like you I'm beyond excited. It pays to book well in advance.

Just waiting and hoping I pre-saled a good place in line to get a cabin let alone one I want. SJC is sooo popular it almost is like a "fit in where you can get in" because so many past guests return year after year. Now my sister wants to come too so to say we are planning an epic mother/daughters girl's trip is an understatement. Lol

Just curious as to why you always book the 2nd sailing?

Dees -- if you want to see a jazz charter that fills up FAST -- just try to book a Dave Koz cruise. Those invariably book up in DAYS! I talked to folks on the last SJC, who have been trying to get onboard a Koz cruise, for years, now! But, for the SJC, I think that you got in line, plenty early. And, you are doing your research -- so, you'll have a list of cabins ready, when your turn comes up, in the booking queue. Hope that you Sis is able to join you -- see lots of family and friends traveling together, on the SJC's.:cool:

And, the way we ended up on the second sailing was -- the year that we signed up for our first SJC (2018)-- they weren't sure that they would be adding a second sailing. Which had me breaking out into a cold sweat, since the first cruise was close to sold out, already. When the SJC folks announced that they were adding a second sailing, they suggested to those of us on the 'pre-sale' list that the second sailing might have a better selection of cabins. And, since I was shooting for our favorite corner "Sweet Sixteen", I figured that the odds might be in my favor, going withe the 18.2 sailing. Also, my DH and I prefer cruising the Caribbean, later in the year. We've had a couple of COLD sail-aways from Florida, in the late Jan /early Feb time frame!

Thank you for being such a wealth of information.

You are so right about the cold Jan/Feb and I normally cruise in December my preferred month of choice. However, I've booked 3 cruises already with one leaving in September and the other next June. The NOLA cruise is the first week of December and then SJC in January. Maybe next year we will book the 2nd cruise just to try it.

Dees -- although it's not impossible to switch your time slot, from year to year -- it is a little more work. The way the system works is: My DH and I are booked in XYZ cabin, on the second sailing of the 2019 SJC. When the 2020 dates/lineup were announced, we were given until sometime this September to book that very same cabin -- on the very same (second) sailing, for the 2020 cruise. Now, if we wanted a different cabin (or different sailing) we would have to wait until AFTER that date in September, to request a change. What we did last year was: we went ahead and booked our corner Sweet Sixteen for the 19.2 SJC. After that, we checked back periodically to see if any of the aft C-1's had opened up -- and, we got lucky. But, we DID have a cabin that we liked nailed down, just in case! OK -- so, reading this, it DOES sound confusing. But, once you've actually gone through the process, it starts to make sense!;)

Not confusing at all WWC. You picked a cabin you knew you'd be happy with no matter what but still kept your eye out for a desired upgrade. That's me as well. Persistence and patience. Lol

Yes indeed -- you're going to fit in just fine, on he SJC! ;):cool:

• 1 month later...

I see that ECP has now confirmed that Blue Note at Sea will be on 25 January 2020 and The Jazz Cruise will be on 1 February 2020.

Celebrity Infinity's hole has actually grown to 24 February 2020, ie a further 16 days after the end of TJC. No idea what's going to happen then, or who's taking the ship!

We are booked and ready to go for SJC 2020 first sailing. Very excited. Even though being a newbie I had to go through pre-reservation, I was still able to get one of the rooms I was eyeing because I was worried knowing how popular these cruises are. Hope this thread will bring back others who are sailing in 2019 and/or 2020 as well. Happy travels.

Congrats on getting the cabin you wanted, D! Did you end up going with one of the 'Sweet Sixteen' cabins? Sad to say, I recently saw a post from KatieKatie (who usually books the first SJC of the season) that she's decided to take 2020 off. She mentioned maybe trying for the 2020 Koz cruise instead, when it's released. Back when you originally posted about your interest in booking the 2020 SJC, my thought was that, between me and Katie, you'd have someone to chat with -- who would actually be on your sailing. Unfortunately, roll-call threads don't seem to work too well for charter cruises (believe me -- I TRIED, last year.:loudcry:) Personally, I don't do F/B -- but, I have been told that there are usually F/B pages for the SJC's. And -- of course -- you can always come here, to chat, and ask questions! :cool:

Congrats on getting the cabin you wanted, D! Did you end up going with one of the 'Sweet Sixteen' cabins? Sad to say, I recently saw a post from KatieKatie (who usually books the first SJC of the season) that she's decided to take 2020 off. She mentioned maybe trying for the 2020 Koz cruise instead, when it's released. Back when you originally posted about your interest in booking the 2020 SJC, my thought was that, between me and Katie, you'd have someone to chat with -- who would actually be on your sailing. Unfortunately, roll-call threads don't seem to work too well for charter cruises (believe me -- I TRIED, last year.:loudcry:) Personally, I don't do F/B -- but, I have been told that there are usually F/B pages for the SJC's. And -- of course -- you can always come here, to chat, and ask questions! :cool:

Hey there my SJC Guru:D!

Thank you so much for all the info and support. No Sweet 16 but I did get a Veranda with an angled balcony mid/aft on Deck 7 not too far from the elevators so no complaints. They even gave me a great insurance quote for us 3 which was pretty reasonable. The overall cost was less than I thought as well for our cabin category 2A Deluxe OV with balcony so I'm pleased about that too. I already know the hotel we want to stay at even though I don't know if it will be the host hotel for SJC. Then it will be the hunt for decent airfare to Miami and we are set.

Now remind me....will you be on the 2019 sailing and 2020 or just one or the other?

Hey there my SJC Guru:D!

Now remind me....will you be on the 2019 sailing and 2020 or just one or the other?

Both the 19.2 & 20.2 sailings, D! I'll be sure to bring back info on our Feb (19.2) cruise!

The 20.2 cruise will bring some changes, since we always fly into Ft.L. (Hollywood). We'll need to arrange a car service to Miami, as well as finding a place to stay. If you find a good pre-cruise hotel in Miami, let me know. We also might check out whatever hotel the SJC folks designate as 'pre-cruise', there'. We don't do that in Ft.L, because we prefer the Embassy Suites, near the port.

Seems like a long way off -- but, trust me -- it will be here, before you know it!:cool:

• 4 weeks later...

Rick Braun (smooth jazz) had his first charter on a river cruise this past Aug 2018.  Sold out in 3 weeks, over 2 years in advance.  He has one planned for 2019 (sold out) and 2 for 2020.   The first week is full, but second week is taking advance deposits.  Lineup: Rick Braun, Peter White, Kirk Whalum and Marc Antoine - should be magnifique sailing through Provence Wine region in France.  Oui Oui!

• 2 months later...

We are doing 70’s rock and romance in March totally sold out for a while 60’s flower power which is the next week sold out really quick, suites sold out in first couple of days. Both are on celebrity infinity. Loved the rock and romance last year. 

The Smooth Jazz cruises will also be on Infinity, this year (and next). Last year, they were on Summit. It was a nice transition for me, into charter cruising -- since my DH and I are long-time X cruisers. The Millie-Class (including Infinity & Summit) are our favorite X ships! 🙂