Stornoway - how long in port and is the tender long

Radar boomer

Hi

Planning a get together with family from the isle of Lewis that I have not seen in over 30 years, wondering what time would I get to shore and when last tender back would be.....and is there any possibility the port could be missed

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't help with the length of the tender but you are shown in port from 8am to 6pm.

There is always a risk of missing a port, even more so for a tender port. There is also a chance of not being able to start tendering as soon as you arrive or having to suspend tender operations if the weather deteriorates.

Stornoway is only an occasional port stop for Cunard and I couldn't see any posts about missing it.

Good luck for your family get together.

Edited by Host Hattie

I was in Stornoway two weeks ago when a Seaborne Cruise Ship came into port. It was anchored approx 5 mins by tender away from the port harbour. If you are on Victori or Elizabeth you probably will be in a similar position. If it is QM2 that may be more difficult. If you are not doing any particular excursion just a few hours is enough to walk around visit places in Stornoway itself. Do try and do the walk up to the Lighthouse for some great views. Hope you enjoy!

I spent every summer as a kid there at my grans in south dell...have 2 aunts, an uncle and several cousins I have not seen since the late 80s..time spent will be visiting...my cousin is now with the coast guard worker..I will do ask her about it !!!

Should add sailing all the way from nyc first on QM2, them QE,, can’t wait, trip starts 1 week today

• 4 weeks later...
Waiting to hear if we will get there now..going there next port but ship having an issue with thrusters. May skip port..very upsetting as this is why we booked this cruise.

Any further update about this from on board? I can tell you AIS is showing your next destination as Killybegs, Ireland (ETA Aug 21, 7:45). Not sure what to make of that.

Where is that...?.. we were going to Belfast after Stornoway. No news yet still awaiting...

I'm seeing that on the marinetraffic and vesselfinder web sites.

Marinetraffic shows "Destination KILLYBEGS [iE] ETA: 2018-08-21 08:45 LT (UTC+1)".

Vesselfinder shows "Destination KILLYBEGS ETA Aug 21, 07:45" (that's probably UTC rather than local time).

I am very upset about this. K to try and book for next year and the cost is much much more..ok if I was British $3800 vs $5700 for the same cabin which we paid $4k for this room now..I understand weather issues, but this is the result of mechanical...any suggestion who I can escalate too who may help..my family is very upset too. All planned to meet with us on the 21st after 35 years....still no announcement on board, but the Stornoway port authority wrote to my friend late yesterday saying it was cancelled.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

ffd7e24d128e2d50afc4660a763f9616.jpg

7079a1ffa7a66c97fabf5e408c16c7f6.jpg

Not sure where you are heading too - The QE information page on Marine Traffic states you are heading to Killybegs which is in the North West of The Republic of Ireland. However, the destination map shows that you are heading directly to Belfast which is in Northern Ireland U.K. around 80 miles apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So sorry you are not going to get the stop you'd been looking forward to. I know these things happen an it isn't anyones fault but it is such a shame when you had plans that relied on being in a certain place at a certain time. I had a similar problem with US friends visiting Dublin but finding it impossible to get (affordable) flights to fit with their visit, so disapointing to be so near yet so far. Hope you still manage to enjoy your cruise but totally get your frustration

I understand from friends on board that they also missed a port in Iceland as a result of the thruster issues it is experiencing. No mention if they are still going to Belfast though. Appears they got a complimentary bottle of wine for the missed Icelandic port!

As has been said, you cannot guarantee a port destination on a cruise especially a tender port. You just have to grin and bear it, annoying as it is. We missed Minorca on our cruise in June as the sea was too rough for a safe tender. Have to say never heard a bad word on board about it. People just got on with it and enjoyed the cruise.

Pity they couldn't have stopped at Greenock instead, but with thruster issues it might not be possible to make a port docking.

We are on board at the moment. We did also miss Isafjordur in Iceland and yes there was a complimentary bottle of wine. The ports we have missed have been tender ports. We are missing Stornaway because they are unable to provide tug assistance for us. We are still going to Belfast after Killybegs.

Most of the people we have spoken to on board are disappointed for obvious reasons. There are a large number of Australians on board who may not get a chance to visit Iceland again.

Interestingly, the ship was listing for a short time when we left Olden last week. Not sure if the current issue arose due to that or if they are related. Very disconcerting though. The Captain did apologise the next day and reassured everyone that the ship was safe.

The QE has a problem with the Engine Management System.

In Reykjavik they got some external Experts on Board, but they still don’t really know where the Problem is and how to fix it.

In the Harbor we can maneuver without help, but just really slow.

Looks like they get a power overload if they switch too fast between different power levels. So they have to do everything slow and maybe more manuell than normally.

After departure in Olden we got a power outage in the Kitchens during dinner.

Took about 30 minutes until they where able to continue cooking.

Depending on where you are on the ship, there are very heavy vibrations and the ship is moving in the calm waves much more than normal - both more than the last time and more than on the other queens.

The ship is looking forward and really needs the small refit in France in November.

Gesendet von iPad mit Forums

Oh dear that doesn't sound promising for out honeymoon cruise next week, it's the longest cruise we've ever done & first time on Elizabeth. Really hope they can get it fixed between the end of this cruise & the start of ours. I think I'd rather they cancel it than start off knowing it has problems and be stuck with it for an extended period...

The QE has a problem with the Engine Management System.

In Reykjavik they got some external Experts on Board, but they still don’t really know where the Problem is and how to fix it.

In the Harbor we can maneuver without help, but just really slow.

Looks like they get a power overload if they switch too fast between different power levels. So they have to do everything slow and maybe more manuell than normally.

After departure in Olden we got a power outage in the Kitchens during dinner.

Took about 30 minutes until they where able to continue cooking.

Depending on where you are on the ship, there are very heavy vibrations and the ship is moving in the calm waves much more than normal - both more than the last time and more than on the other queens.

The ship is looking forward and really needs the small refit in France in November.

Gesendet von iPad mit Forums

whatever the problem it appears her speed is not affected AIS has her doing a constant 20-21 knots since leaving Iceland

whatever the problem it appears her speed is not affected AIS has her doing a constant 20-21 knots since leaving Iceland

That’s right, we don’t seem to be slow when we are out at sea, just when we manoeuvre into/out of harbour.

I had forgotten about the kitchen power outage earlier in the cruise which Matt4711 mentioned. And he’s quite right about the amount of movement felt on board. The sea is flat calm sometimes but the ship is moving more than it should.

Oh dear that doesn't sound promising for out honeymoon cruise next week, it's the longest cruise we've ever done & first time on Elizabeth. Really hope they can get it fixed between the end of this cruise & the start of ours. I think I'd rather they cancel it than start off knowing it has problems and be stuck with it for an extended period...

I heard rumours on board that these issues have been going on for a while but they are just rumours and there is no way of knowing the truth. The experts are now on board and I don’t think it’s fixed yet so it’s unlikely to be fixed by Friday, but it could be I guess.

I can’t imagine they would ever cancel a cruise...but perhaps I’m wrong and someone will enlighten me.

I heard rumours on board that these issues have been going on for a while but they are just rumours and there is no way of knowing the truth. The experts are now on board and I don’t think it’s fixed yet so it’s unlikely to be fixed by Friday, but it could be I guess.

I can’t imagine they would ever cancel a cruise...but perhaps I’m wrong and someone will enlighten me.

we were on her in late June no problems whatsoever, cruises can be cancelled if immediate repair is needed happened to us once

I am puzzled to your comment ref slowing down in harbour, that is quite normal plus as you say there are only rumours

was the movement you mention rolling or pitching?