1st time cruising-need help with packing

jennerjen

Hi, Im going on a 5 day cruise on the Inspiration towards the end of June.

I have read on a couple of different posts about how easy it is to overpack. I am wondering if some of you could give me suggestions how much clothing I should bring. One outfit per day okay? something dressy for formal night, and my swimsuit? Do you think I should bring a jacket-I know we will be in very warm weather, but I imagine it gets quite breezy. Thank you!

P.S. Anything that you can think of that I may not think to bring would be good to know as well.

I would definitely bring a light jacket or sweater. This is more for inside in the air conditioning than outside.

A swimsuit and outfit for elegant night are a must. The rest of the cruise is up to you. I may bring a few pair of slacks a few pair of shorts and some tops to change into. This way you can mix and match. If it gets very humid you will probably want to change your top before dinner. Remember there is a self serve laundry facility if things don't got the way you planned.

P.S. Anything that you can think of that I may not think to bring would be good to know as well.

It is SO easy to overpack, especially when you are a new cruiser and don't have any idea of what to expect!! My mom and I went on our first cruise on the Ecstasy back in Oct. 06 and between us, we had 3 large suitcases!! :eek: We didn't use 3/4 of the stuff we packed!

My 4yo grandson and I just got back from our cruise on Ecstasy, and we never ate in the dining room, so that made it way easier to pack! Look for ways to consolidate your clothes-wear the same pair of slacks to dinner on 2 different nites, 2 different shirts, etc. of course, if you have one color theme, less shoes, etc. If you plan on spending most of your days by the pool, you might need shorts, a coverup, an extra swimsuit, etc.

Bring a power strip if you have things you will need to be charging, etc. Very few outlets on ships, and none in the bathrooms. Bring $1 and $5 bills to tip porters, room service deliverers, etc.

Good luck with the packing! There are SO many lists out there, it can be hard to figure out what to take! Just try to plan your days and your outfits for dinner each night, try to mix and match whenever possible, etc.

I tend to overpack... I always make a list to make sure I never forget anything... :rolleyes: A few things I can think of off the top of my head are... Ibuprofen, Pepto Bismol, Dramamine (or some other motion sickness medicine), shorts, jeans, light jacket, plenty of undies, sunscreen, camera, sunglasses, hat, and a whole lot more! The cabin will have body wash and shampoo, however, if you are picky about your shampoo, bring your own.... cough drops, sock and shoes, don't forget dress shoes for your formal outfit! LOL!

Worst case scenerio, you can wash clothes on board. There are laundry areas, but it does cost extra to use them.... ;)

Do you have any pets that someone will be watching? I always call my Vet's office and let them know I will be out of town and someone will be watching my animals. I also give the person watching them permission to treat them while I am gone (let the vet know they can), and ask if you can settle the bill when you get back....

I usually pack three changes of clothes for each day. :eek: I have one outfit that I wear during the day, going into port/shore excursions, an outfit for dinner, and then another outfit to change into after dinner. I also pack several different swim suites. I have been known to have one suitecase with nothing but shoes in it.

I usually do overpack a few outfits from doing this but I cannot stand it when I sweat a lot from the heat :( so I shower and I like to change. I have usually always worn every pair of shoes that I brought. :D: (at some point)

I didn't overpack my first cruise. Well, maybe but we wore everything we brought. We drove down so we had two road outfits each way (after 12 hours sitting in a car you just need to change your clothes.) We were in Daytona Beach for two days before so we had clothes for those days. Then we sailed for 5 days out of PC so clothes and formals for all of those!!! We had a Large suitcase a medium suitcase a small suitcase and a couple of carryons for two of us!!

Hi, Im going on a 5 day cruise on the Inspiration towards the end of June.

I have read on a couple of different posts about how easy it is to overpack. I am wondering if some of you could give me suggestions how much clothing I should bring. One outfit per day okay? something dressy for formal night, and my swimsuit? Do you think I should bring a jacket-I know we will be in very warm weather, but I imagine it gets quite breezy. Thank you!

Definately a light jacket, sweatshirt or long sleeve sweater. My DW always has one with her in the dining room and for the show in the show lounge.

Yes, we do tend to overpack. Our last cruise in April on the Glory we had for 4 people, 4 large suitcases and a garment bag.

Here the issue; I wore the same stuff twice, I'm a guy I don't need something different everyday...but....let me explain.

My DW always does wash on the ship. She picks a sea day and does 2 or 3 loads. We normally come back with very little dirt laundry. Most people will not do that including myself but she doesn't mind at all. Realistically i could get away with 4 changes of clothes on a 7 days cruise because she does do laundry. She hates coming back from vacation and us having to do wash the entire day.

I think 1 change per day plus your business casual and formal wear will do just fine. I would take some "flat tire" clothes just in case you have too many DOD's on the ship and spill one.

The thing is, I could get away with one small suitcase and a garmet bag. I only have shorts and tshirts.

I hope you have a great time on your cruise and try to keep those DOD's off your clean clothes.

If you hit Platinum then they will do the wash for you, from what I hear so you'll be able to take two changes and have them cleaned everyday...:rolleyes:

As many have said - pack then remove half the clothes and take double the money.

Coordinate is the best way to pack less.

Overdoor shoe holder is wonderful thing.

Pack your mind with having a wonderful time.

I try to be very effiicient in terms of packing. My family consists of myself, husband and young son. We always wear our sneakers and take shoes for the dining room, swim shoes and flip flops.

We wear each pair of shorts twice, clean shirt for each day. 2 swim suits ( we don't do a lot of swimming on the ship...mainly snorkeling).

Dining room....2 pair of neutral slacks each, elegant nights...one suit but change out the tie and shirt, one dress that I can change out the jacket or wrap and jewelry.

For me this would be for a 7 night cruise. Always take a light jacket or sweater.

So it comes down to one large suitcase, one medium suitcase, a carry-on and a back-pack (used for excursions).

Hope this helps!

I always overpack. On my last cruise for NYE I took a couple of things out of my suitcase and on the cruise those are the things I felt like wearing. I will continue to overpack and be happy I have choices.

Really though you can watch the shoes, shorts, tops and take a couple of pari fo black pants. I like dresses though. That way they still fit if you gain any weight. ;)

Archived