Drs. on board services.

Yehootu

Nice! So good of you to offer your unsolicited, uninformed opinion.

Generally, isn't that why one comes to cruise critic?

Actually, the patient makes the decision whether or not to travel

My experience has been -- the doctor makes the decision whether the patient can travel, or not;

and the patient usually (but not always) follows the doctor's advice.

Additionally, there may be other airline or cruise regulations for some conditions.

My question is - what is the purpose of the PICC line? If the guest is going to be receiving medication or nutrition through it during the cruise, who is going to administer it? And if not, why can it not be removed before the cruise? EM

My question is - what is the purpose of the PICC line? If the guest is going to be receiving medication or nutrition through it during the cruise, who is going to administer it? And if not, why can it not be removed before the cruise? EM

In the original post, OP said that her mother would be receiving antibiotics thru the line. Logically, if the physician has OK'd the travel, either the poster or her mother would have been trained to administer the meds.

In the original post' date=' OP said that her mother would be receiving antibiotics thru the line. Logically, if the physician has OK'd the travel, either the poster or her mother would have been trained to administer the meds.[/quote']

Nothing to administer, the line generally goes in at the inside of the elbow and ends near the heart, the antibiotic is in a pressurised container and can hold up to a months worth of antibiotic. You carry the can (about the size of a can of fly spray) in a bag, I used a bum bag (fanny pack).

Even if the can needed changing it isn’t really a major task. Likewise removing the line isn’t really a major, if it is stitched in at the elbow remove the stitches and then gently pull the line out. Some may require a stitch to sclose the hole, I got away with a butterfly bandage.

I had a choice of PICC line or port for chemo when I had a trip to europe booked. Port needed less maintenance and we were able to schedule the "servicing" of it in London which I felt good about being an english speaking country with reciprocal medicare. The PICC line needed more frequent "service" but as most Alaskan cruises are in the 7-10 days I would seriously discuss with her own doctor leaving it in a few extra days.

As it turned out I got a DVT from the port and had to have it removed after only one chemo and also had to cancel the trip to Europe. 12 months later we went and again a year later, and have cruised 2-3 times a year since. Prior to my cancer diagnosis hubby wouldn't travel overseas so I went with friends. After chemo he gave in and agreed to go on a cruise to NZ with me to give me something to look forward to. That was it he was addicted.