What's your preferred table size ?

Host Hattie

What's your preferred table size ?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What's your preferred table size ?

• More

Aside from a couple of times when I travelled in a party of three, I've always requested - and been allocated - a table for two. We therefore book early and pay the Cunard fare so that we can request a table for two on the second sitting. We've also been fortunate on recent trips with requests to sit in specific parts of the Britannia restaurant.

We've had a couple of uncomfortable experiences with strangers at meals, and my DH is more than a bit shy, so we request a table for 2. But in the Grills, we have enjoyed some (not all!) conversations with tables next to us. It sort of gives us an option, sit by ourselves, or chat with the neighbors. Works for us. And then we have assembled groups of friends, sometimes new friends, to have dinner together in the pop-up restaurants in KC at night.

We always request the biggest table they've got (8 or 10).

Great way to make new friends, swap stories and find out things about the ship and its activities that maybe we didn't know or had forgotten.

Now and again it doesn't work but mostly, it's a hoot.

It highly depends. If it's a short trip of two or four nights, then we prefer a table for two. On a long run (i.e. 7 nights or longer) we prefer a table for 10. The nicest tables on QM2 are the big ones right next to the Captain's table.

I do remember having some rather unpleasant conversations - mostly with people who lacked the necessary etiquette. On the other hand, I met interesting people who had god stories to tell.

My last few cruises have been just my wife and I at dinner .We had some very bad experiences at a table with strangers in the past.

For breakfast and lunch we generally sit at large tables where the questions always are:

Where do you live ?

What do you do (job) ?

Do you have children ?

I’ll be traveling solo next November on a Westbound TA from Hamburg; first-time ever on a ship. I’ve always enjoyed meeting people on various types of tours when traveling. I’ve opted for a table of 8 at the late seating, hoping it’ll be the best way to meet some interesting people. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll simply take advantage of the Veranda and/or the KC specialty restaurant dining. Or, I could always request a new table after Southampton.

Always table for 2, that’s for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Had too many bad experiences with large tables at breakfast, takes far too long by the time the orders for every specific requirement has been taken (oj, apple, cranberry, prune juices, breakfast tea, green tea, decaf coffee, regular coffee, white toast, wheat toast, bagel, srambled, fried, egg white omelette etc) you get the idea.

As for dinner I cannot stand the 3 question interrogation to size up your worth. Where are you from? What do you do? Where do you live? And the worst, what type of cabin are you in and how many times have you sailed?

My last few cruises have been just my wife and I at dinner .We had some very bad experiences at a table with strangers in the past.

For breakfast and lunch we generally sit at large tables where the questions always are:

Where do you live ?

What do you do (job) ?

Do you have children ?

That's why we avoid large tables at breakfast & lunch and on other lines with "anytime" dining, the same conversation over and over again. Sharing with the same group you quickly move beyond the tedious to much more interesting conversations.

We must have been lucky, we've not yet had a bad experience on a Cunard shared dinner table.

We usually cruise rather than cross so if all else fails there is always the ports as a topic of conversation.

I guess it depends who I am sailing with.

Usually just me and Mrs Gut table for 2, unless we are din8ng with folk we’ve made friends with during the cruise, then it might be more as a one off.

Or sailing with Miss Gut, which needs a bigger table, so robably an 8, unless we can get a 4 just for the three of us.

We usually request large tables, but on one cruise (not Cunard) we were given a table for four and sat with a couple from another country. We couldn't speak their language and one of the other couple just just manage a few words of ours. It started off to be a very quiet week at the dining table, but by the end of the week with a combination of sign language and gestures, we were having a really enjoyable time with our new friends!

Usually a table for 8 at dinner, table for 2 at breakfast and either a table for 2 or sharing a big table for lunch, depending on how we feel. We have met some wonderful people on large tables at dinner, including on our Norwegian Fjords cruise last week, and have forged some lasting friendships.

We like a table for 8 at dinner but don't mind what size table for breakfast or lunch. Quite often my OH will not bother with lunch so I often get sat with strangers but don't mind this as it is usually nice to meet and talk to new people.

Making our first Cunard crossing later this summer and looking forward to sharing a table for 6. While neither of us are outgoing and feel more at home in the background, it's a good way to meet a few people and the obligatory interrogation is fine with us. Table choices have ranged from 2 to 8 on other cruises with the worst experience being sitting with a family of four (parents with two teenagers) who argued the entire cruise. Little awkward for us and our two younger kids but we get a good laugh at it still to this day. Best being a table of 8 with such diverse backgrounds that we enjoyed every minute with our table mates and looked forward to the evening meal and catch up (or continue) on whatever topic was being discussed.

We were a party of 3 allocated a table for 6 and received a table for 4. Still, just us 3 sat at it. I wonder if a 3 dynamic does not fit a table of 6 to well. Maybe 8 would have been better? We did enjoy our own table of 4 though and made good acquaintances with the table of 4 next to us and were even joining in the pub quiz together by the end of the week. I did watch the two tables next to ours avidly during our dinners and the table of 6 was painful to watch, you could just tell half of them hated it. Yet the table for 8 was having a whale of a time by the end of the week singing we'll meet again! TA QM2