Travel Pass phone usage by Verizon

claudia814

Has anyone used Travel Pass by Verizon on a cruise? Supposedly it's only $5 per day phone usage when used in Mexico. If so, aside from having it on your account, how'd it work once off the ship? Did you need to change any settings or did it just start working for you? Thanks very much.

I haven't used Travel Pass but you might want to look into whether or not your phone can do WiFi calling. I used it in Canada at hotels. I was in airplane mode but turned WiFi back on and was able to call as I would normally but at no cost.

I did no TravelPass activation prior to arriving in Stockholm...and my Verizon iPhone produced a text message saying I was “on”the system. It worked throughout the Baltic...cost was $10/day. Last month I experienced the same messages in Shanghai and in Nagasaki. I hope you have the same ease of use that I did.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I used it once... in Italy. Basically before I leave on a trip I go to Verizon's website and check the countries I'll be in to make sure they are covered. I jot down how to call locally within the country and also how to call home. Maybe there is an easier way to figure out the country codes but I don't know it.

I use it all the time when in Canada. Never had another charge other than the daily one. It takes a little longer to find the service when we initially get there and it is intermittent. According to my daughter that is standard service with Rodgers Communication up there.

I have used travel pass in both Mexico and Canada, it was $10 a day and worked great. No additional charges at all other than the $10 per day. It uses your regular data plan. Of course I always have my phone on airplane mode while on the ship so as soon as we would get into port I would take it off of airplane mode and I would receive a notification that my travel pass was working. It was good for 24 hours, so good for the whole day we were in port. Just remember to put it back in airplane mode when you reboard the ship.

I haven't used Travel Pass but you might want to look into whether or not your phone can do WiFi calling. I used it in Canada at hotels. I was in airplane mode but turned WiFi back on and was able to call as I would normally but at no cost.

So Thrak, do I understand you correctly? If you are connected to WiFi and in airplane mode, you can make international calls at no cost? I hope that's what you are saying, that would be awesome. We used Travel Pass when in Canada the past couple of years, but it's gone up from $2 per 24 hours last year to the $10 rate now. Being gone 3 weeks, that adds up.

So do you only get charged for the days you turn your phone off airport mode (days your in port) or if you were gone on a 7 day cruise would it be $10 a day? = $70

I need to check into this either way:)

Thank you so much for all your replies but can you explain why phone should be on airplane mode on the ship? And what features can I utilize when it's in airplane mode? When on Travel Pass do you get all your voice mail messages when in port and what about emails? Is that part of my data plan? Or should I purchase the internet plan on the ship? You are all so helpful!

So Thrak, do I understand you correctly? If you are connected to WiFi and in airplane mode, you can make international calls at no cost? I hope that's what you are saying, that would be awesome. We used Travel Pass when in Canada the past couple of years, but it's gone up from $2 per 24 hours last year to the $10 rate now. Being gone 3 weeks, that adds up.

You can make the calls but you are using wifi minutes from the ship. You have to have bought a plan or be Platinum/Elite and using those free minutes.

Thank you so much for all your replies but can you explain why phone should be on airplane mode on the ship? And what features can I utilize when it's in airplane mode? When on Travel Pass do you get all your voice mail messages when in port and what about emails? Is that part of my data plan? Or should I purchase the internet plan on the ship? You are all so helpful!

If you are not in airplane mode you will pick up the ship's satellite signal and it will cost you $$$$$. When you are onboard and want to use your phone for anything you have to have it on airplane mode and then turn on wifi. You will need to have some internet minutes and then you can use your phone via wifi. I do know when I used my phone on wifi I got some text messages. As for Travel Pass... if it is activated it is like you were at home using your regular plan (calls, text, data).

Corporate Greed.

You are so right, I pay £21 a month for unlimited minutes, texts and 25 gb data, I can use my phone in all of Europe, USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand at no extra cost. £21 a month is $29 all inc.

So do you only get charged for the days you turn your phone off airport mode (days your in port) or if you were gone on a 7 day cruise would it be $10 a day? = $70

I need to check into this either way:)

When you contact Verizon, make sure to ask about their travel pass for a month. When we were in Europe in November, the plan would have been $40 for the whole month instead of $10 per day.

Lynn

When you contact Verizon, make sure to ask about their travel pass for a month. When we were in Europe in November, the plan would have been $40 for the whole month instead of $10 per day.

Lynn

That is another plan ($40 for a month and includes a small amount of minutes and data). Travel Pass is $10/day when you use it. You just ask Verizon to add it to your plan. No cost to have it on there. Only cost is when you use it.

I used Travel Pas while on my British Isles cruise. It was $10 a day only for the days I used it. You can also play it time a little. It wasn't actually a day, it was 24 hours. So if you used it one afternoon in one city and the next morning in another city, it was still within the 24 hour window and only one charge of $10.

I was in Canada when I discovered that Delta had totally trashed my flights for an upcoming cruise. I spent an hour or so on the phone with both Delta and Alaska Airlines and incurred zero cost as I made the call using the hotel WiFi. I simply enabled "advanced calling services" on the phone and it worked just like a normal phone call. I had entered airplane mode but then turned WiFi back on to connect to the hotel system.

to just receive text while on ship, the cost per Verizon was nominal. but do I also need wifi thru ship internet?

I plan on using travel pass when in port, don't care about internet or email when on ship. Just want to be able to receive text from son if necessary

$10 a day! My goodness. With T-Mobile we pay nothing above our regular monthly payment...except that phone calls in some countries do cost us 20 cents a minute. Consider that we travel internationally about 200 days a year. If we had Verizon it would cost us a mere $2000 extra. With T-Mobile...it generally costs us zero And by the way, T-Mobile and many ATT plans include free usage in Mexico.

Hank

If I have Wi-Fi access, I simply use What's App or Viber to call or text people in another country or to call home when travelling. I was in Canada for several months this past summer and paid Verizon$25/month for unlimited calling which made it easy which was great because I was on the phone quite a bit.

Yes, communications in the US is extremely pricey from cell phones, internet, cable....you name it.

We have used Travel Pass on several International cruises, including Mexico, and it works well. You will be notified when entering each country where you will be charged $10 per 24 hours (if you use your phone) which gives you access to the same voice, text and data plan you have at home. If you also use their service on-board ship, you will be charged for all talk, text and data at per-usage pricing. If you want to be available for messages while at sea and not face exorbitant charges, simply disable data roaming instead of placing your phone in airplane mode. The charge for incoming texts (at least on our plan) is only .05 each, and no charge for voice unless you actually connect. Service, however, is not the best so you may not receive the texts until you get in range of a land-based tower.