A Few Random Freedom Questions (mostly about alcohol)

A few random questions I'm curious about for my upcoming cruise on Freedom in mid-september:

• What have your experiences been with children on cruises in September? Our usual vacations are at adults-only all inclusives. At a resort in Mexico about a year ago, the beach and our building were adults-only, but the main buffet (especially at lunch) was not and it was not ideal. I'm hoping that most families won't take their kids out of school in the first few weeks.
  • Where are the best places/tips to lounge in the shade on Freedom? We both try to completely avoid the sun as much as possible and have 2 days at sea. We took a Carnival cruise (my first and only) about 6 years ago and on the 1 sea day, shade was difficult to find, unless we wanted to be inside or sitting at a table.

Obviously, we've already booked, so I'm stuck even if the ship is crawling with poorly parented kids and has no shade to speak of. But, it'll be nice to know what I'm getting into.

:tropical-drink: However, I haven't yet shelled out for the unlimited beverage package. I'm a big drinker and as mentioned, am used to vacationing at all inclusives where the sky's pretty much the limit with alcohol. I will most likely purchase, since I will absolutely drink more than $42/day worth of drinks. But the following would be great to know:

• Can any of the bars make an espresso martini? I got hooked at a resort in Jamaica about a year ago, where all the bars had Nespresso machines. They were so refreshing without all the sugar of most tropical cocktails.
  • How early/late do bars serve alcohol? Can you get alcoholic drinks at Cafe Promenade or Sorrento's? We're in a hump balcony on deck 6, I'd love to be able to bop down and grab a drink while we get ready for dinner, late night before bed, or a mimosa in the am before going to breakfast.
    • It looks like Cafe Promenade serves spiked coffee drinks - if nothing else is available, are those made on-the-spot? Can I create my own decaf coffee cocktail?

[*]Will a bar give you beer unopened? I'd love to stock up to have a few in the room.

[*]Has anyone noticed if Freedom has Absolut Pear Vodka? I was introduced to it on that Carnival cruise and years later, it still tastes like vacation to me.

[*]Can I take a drink in a disposable coffee cup off the ship and into port? What about in a water bottle? We will be stopping at St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Aruba & Curaçao.

[*]Can you order Sabor margaritas without eating there?

[*]In the main dining room, is there a specific cocktail menu available in addition to wine? We've stayed at resorts where all the restaurants, including the buffets had access to a full bar and others, where only wine was available (unless you really wanted to send a poor server jogging to the closest bar). Is it easier on the servers to simply drink wine?

These questions, I know, make me sound like a total lush. I am. But, I really enjoy drinking on vacation, it's part of the fun since drinking different cocktails all day is just not something you can do in real life! And, in case you're concerned, I usually down a bottle of water with every drink and I always wake up bright eyed and early on vacation, despite the previous day of drinking ready to do it again!

Thanks in advance everyone!

... Will a bar give you beer unopened? ...

Yes, if you are paying for the beers individually.

However, if you have an unlimited drink package, they may tell you they have to open the beers.

Unfortunately, I cannot answer all of your questions, but I can address a few things.

Can I take a drink in a disposable coffee cup off the ship and into port? What about in a water bottle?

I assume it's not permitted, but I have done it plenty, though.

In the main dining room, is there a specific cocktail menu available in addition to wine? We've stayed at resorts where all the restaurants, including the buffets had access to a full bar and others, where only wine was available (unless you really wanted to send a poor server jogging to the closest bar). Is it easier on the servers to simply drink wine?

My understanding is the MDR galley has a full bar. It is not always the fastest, but I have never had a problem getting any drink there. Granted, I generally drink vodka/soda with dinner, so it's not that complicated. Also in my experience, the MDR has always had additional cocktail servers roaming the floor specifically for drink orders, so while you can ask your waiter or asst. waiter, it's not generally an issue of creating extra work for them.

And, in case you're concerned, I usually down a bottle of water with every drink

This is honestly one of the best parts about the deluxe beverage package. With every drink order, you can just add on a bottle of water, no charge.

Side note, if you haven't purchased the deluxe beverage package yet, but are seeing it in your cruise planner at $42 right now (that's how I read your post anyway), I would jump on that. That's a pretty good price for it. Not sure I have gotten it cheaper than that, but even if you do see it lower at a later date, you can cancel and repurchase at the new price.

Last side note, it's been years since my wife and I cruised on Freedom, but it was our first RCI cruise, and ever since then we were hooked. I still remember the first time I saw the Royal Promenade in person, and I was just in awe that I was standing on a ship. We've not made it back to Freedom, but she'll always be special to us. Have a great time!

• What have your experiences been with children on cruises in September? Most are in school...however our school district (and surrounding districts in our state) have our fall break beginning the end of September, since we start school the third week of July. So just a heads up that not everyone starts school in late August, any more. There will be kids, for sure, but probably not as many as a summer cruise or a spring break cruise. Honestly, we always cruise the first part of October and we always see kids and don't ever have an issue. I don't ever remember thinking they were a pain to be around, or misbehaving, or having parents ignore them.

• Where are the best places/tips to lounge in the shade on Freedom?We found plenty of shaded places all around...or check out the Solarium pool area.

• Can any of the bars make an espresso martini? I've never been told they by a bar that they simply "can't" make a drink...now what you receive may not be what you had in mind when you ordered (haha!)...but they'll usually try!! And trust me, you'll find your favorite bartenders around the ship that will create fun drinks just for you! And they always remember you by name...which always blows my mind. Some of our best times have been chatting with the bartenders and listening to their stories from home.

• How early/late do bars serve alcohol? Can you get alcoholic drinks at Cafe Promenade or Sorrento's? They'll be open late. There was also a bar by Cafe Promenade on Liberty (Freedom's sister ship) that served regular drinks, not just alcohol coffee drinks.

• Will a bar give you beer unopened? If you ask, they will usually give you one, but not more than one. Then you can just bar hop on your way back to your room and order one from each bar. Not sure if they still do beer buckets at the pool, but you can for sure ask if they do, then take the bucket back to your room (which is what we did). Worst thing they can tell you is no. You can also take two bottles of wine on board into your room for free. I like to enjoy a glass while getting ready for dinner.

• Has anyone noticed if Freedom has Absolut Pear Vodka? I believe yes, I've seen Pear on two other RCI ships as well as several other Absolut flavors.

• Can you order Sabor margaritas without eating there? From Sabor, no. But I'm sure one of the other bars can duplicate it for you.

• In the main dining room, is there a specific cocktail menu available in addition to wine? You can order whatever you want from the bar and they'll go get it for you in the dining room.

Definitely go for the beverage package at $42! If you drink a lot it's a steal and includes all your fresh squeezed OJ, specialty coffees (alcoholic and not), unlimited bottled water, etc. in addition to your adult beverages! There are so many bars and bartenders on board at all times of day or night, you are sure to find a few who can make exactly what you want!

We are also sailing on Freedom and are waiting for our package to come down to $42. It's been sitting at $48 since we booked. It will be worth it at that price, too, but of course we would prefer to pay less if possible.

I get beers unopened all the time. Just ask my pool server to bring it to me unopened. Also ask the bartenders to give it to me unopened. Most times they will, sometimes not, but rarely.

No luck for us on Adventure last month, multiple bars.