Southeast Asia cruise port shopping...

Bruin Steve

So...we're going on a Southeast Asia cruise in December...We've booked shore excursions in each port each day (my wife refuses to do private tours on this one)...I am assuming that there will be some free time somewhere on these--either after the excursion or during the excursion...

Assuming we'll end up doing some souvenir shopping in some of the ports--nothing extravagant--more in the realm of knick-knacks, t-shirts, bags, costume jewelry...you know, assorted junk to either give as trivial gifts to friends and family or to leave in odd locations around the house or for casual personal use--no expensive jewelry, no major pieces of art or home furnishings, etc.

So, the question is "What can we expect to find/shop for in the various ports?"

Here's the basic itinerary and what we're doing:

Hong Kong: we have, basically, three days here but have been before--staying in Kowloon and then have an "overnight" on the ship and are taking an "island tour" that ship day...

Hanoi: First day, full day Hanoi tour, second day boat trip on Ha Long Bay...

Da Nang: Full day tour to Hue

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon): Full day tour

Bangkok: First day full day city tour, second day Pattaya and floating market.

Singapore: Half day city tour.

Thanks...

I don't usually do souvenirs - we get an ornament (or something to use as an ornament) and I like to go to grocery stores or drugstores to bring stuff back. In Bangkok, one place we visited was a flower market and I got some dried keffir lime leaves (for cooking). Also got a couple of foot/leg massages and tons of cheap scarves. I think I got some food in Singapore (we were there 6 days - I did some work while we were in town- might have found something at Mustafa center?) And I know we got something at the Hong Kong night market (in addition to clay pot chicken for dinner ;-) but my brain has totally shut down. Oh - what we got as an ornament was a cloisonne fish from Hong Kong, but that wasn't from the night market.... Don't think we bought anything to bring home from HCMC.....

On a ship's tour I'm not sure you're going to have much choice where to shop - one reason we don't take ships' tours unless there's no alternative is that all-too-often they stop at stores of their choice - jewellery workshop, carpet shop, Batik printer's etc - that earn the cruise line commission.

Perhaps you can talk about that to 'er-indoors about the freedom of doing your own thing. Then concede to a degree and offer the compromise of taking ship's bus transfers from Laem Chabang to Bangkok and Phu My to Saigon (a pretty good way to get from port to city at those places anyway)

But if you can't charm 'er-indoors, I suggest you use your time in HK.

Places like Stanley Market (by bus from Victoria on the island) for good quality crafts and antiques (scenic drive too), or Hollywood Road (by the Central mid-levels escalators on the island) for seriously expensive antiques, or Temple Street night-market (off Nathan Road in TST) for locals' stuff, tourist tat, luggage & such, or the independent shops in Wan Chai (on the island). I wined and dined my other-half in a "restaurant" at the night-market - sat on orange-boxes under a tarpaulin but treated like royalty. She still talks about my taking a nice girl to a place like that :D

Prices won't be as keen as Saigon, but quality is likely to be better and HK has a huge range.

If you get the chance, eclectic range of stuff from souvenirs to live chickens in Bangkok's Chinese quarter (near Royal Palace)

Lots of ......errr......... "adult"...... souvenirs in Pattaya's Walking Street.:D

Best of all Ben Thanh indoor market in Saigon. Huge range, seriously cheap.

But whether you'll end up in those places on a ship's tour ........ :confused:

JB :)

In Vietnam, I regret not having bought one of the interesting pop up greeting cards from a street vendor. They had the price marked as USD 1 in Hanoi and USD 2 in Saigon. The Vietnamese are pretty business savvy. I would be surprised if your tours did not leave some time for shopping. Read the tour descriptions carefully. Bathroom break in a large shop? Small manufacturer of some kind? (pottery, reed mat weaving, silk weaving etc.) I love and use everything I bought in Vietnam.

Agree. We were in Hanoi for five days. We bought some of those cards just about every day we were out and about. Brought home a stack of them. So much more interesting and personal than you standard Hallmark card!

One thing you will discover. All that stuff they sell on the ship for those $9.99 sales can be picked up for about half that in SE Asia if you bargain just a little!

After four years in Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia about the only thing we have ever brought back is those cards from Hanoi! We travel light and recently downsized so we are not looking for more garage sale material.

Enjoy Vietnam,,,,,it is wonderful place with so many friendly people. And it is changing very quickly.

So sorry you won't be doing private booked excursions....they can be absolutely amazing..our were on our Asia cruise.

Saigon .....Loved the Ben Thanh....a destination on it's own for this shopper !!

Singapore...China Town shopping was fun.

In Hong Kong, I found the prices at the Ladies Market better than Temple Street. Or better yet, Li Yuen Street East and Lee Yuen Street West in Central District, two little side streets right off Des Voeux Road Central with stores and vendors selling everything you may want to buy. If you plan on going to the Central Mid-Level Escalator, it should be just a couple of blocks away. Happy shopping!

I'll be in Bali, Philippines, Taiwan, Japan, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Myanmar next year.

Would like to get a custom made dress and a silk comforter....which of these places would be best? Can they make clothing in 1 day? And stores or shops you can recommend?

I'm wondering if US dollars are accepted at street vendors and souvenir shops in Asian countries. I'll be in Nagasaki, Hong Kong, Ho Chi Minh City, Busan, Bangkok and Singapore. I don't mind exchanging some currency before I go on my trip, but I just never know how much to get. Always think I won't buy too much, but then I see something that looks special. If anyone has insights into which of those places might take US dollars, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Hi Daisy Rose. There is a web site called Whatsinport.com. I have found it very informative regarding what currency is accepted, sight seeing, where the port is located, types of transportation, shopping, food and near by places. It is easy to navigate and you should be able to find all you need to know about what currency is accepted, what places take credit cards, where ATM's are located etc. Give it a try, I hope it will help.

E

I'm wondering if US dollars are accepted at street vendors and souvenir shops in Asian countries. I'll be in Nagasaki, Hong Kong, Ho Chi Minh City, Busan, Bangkok and Singapore. I don't mind exchanging some currency before I go on my trip, but I just never know how much to get. Always think I won't buy too much, but then I see something that looks special. If anyone has insights into which of those places might take US dollars, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Street vendors and souvenir shops will almost certainly want the local currency for small purchases. You can use your credit card in department stores and places within shopping malls. No shortage of ATMs just withdraw what you think you need in local currency or exchange $USD cash at licensed money changers.

Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) we had no trouble using US$'s (small denominations are best) at the Ben Thanh market....my favorite place to shop there.

My rule of thumb is $50.00 per person per day in local money. That covers taxi/food for lunch/small vendors. The issue with using the wrong currency is that you will pay a premium price for it. It cost them money to exchange, and they will make sure you pay the price and than some. It's cheaper to exchange it first and shows a level of respect. My last day in Japan, I had only so much money left. I asked a price for something, and told a price too high. I pulled out my money, showed them what I have left, and said this is what I will spend. After a few minutes, I got something else, which was better, and maybe got it because I had the money. I was happy, they were happy, and I went back to ship.