Platinum Studio

RFMW

Hi

Wondered if anyone had experience of using the Platinum Studio on-board ship? Know this is a black and white photo-shoot but could be a rare opportunity having the family together if the photographs and print quality would be good. Know I can proof the pictures, so real question I suppose is the quality of the prints then processed ashore.

They take the photos on board and then the prints are actually made ashore and shipped to you several weeks after the cruise. The prints are very good. They are done on matte finish photo board (maybe about 3/16" thick". The prints are borderless.

You can also buy the option to get the shots digitally and have printed at home at your leisure. As you noted, we also booked the sitting for special family groupings and are absolutely delighted with the results.

Edited by provencedelsol
typo

We did the Platinum Studio a few years ago. Best photos we’ve ever had taken. The photographer was top notch and was able to bring out the best in us.

The quality of the printed ones they shipped us were exceptional, but the best thing was that we got the digital copies to post online, or to have copies made in different sizes on your own.

It’s not cheap, but you’re under no obligation to buy them, and there’s no sitting fee, so you may want to consider having the photos taken, and then decide if you like any enough to purchase.

I’d say about 30-45 minutes. Part of the time was talking about the process. Part of the time was getting to know us so he could make us smile, or even laugh during the shoot.

The shoot itself was much more relaxed than getting your photo taken at one of the areas set up around the ship on formal night. It’s just you and the photographer in his studio, so no one to make you feel self conscious. He took dozens of photos - together, alone, different poses. I liked that he paused, to give us the chance to relax and regroup. It made the photos look more natural.

Then we returned the next day to go over the proofs, and chose the ones we wanted to purchase. There was NO hard sell from the photographer. There was a little hard sell from me to my husband, because I usually don’t look good in photos, and there were several good ones.

Price per 8x10 goes down as you buy more. We got six 8x10s and one 16x20 for $1,200.

Each picture was a different pose.

Thanks for posting your photos. I was a professional photographer before so I always enjoy seeing other works.

I agree that they have done an extraordinary job. All of the photographers do an excellent job even with the ones taken on formal night.

Tom😀

Hi

Wondered if anyone had experience of using the Platinum Studio on-board ship? Know this is a black and white photo-shoot but could be a rare opportunity having the family together if the photographs and print quality would be good. Know I can proof the pictures, so real question I suppose is the quality of the prints then processed ashore.

We did the seating when on the Regal. We were wholly unimpressed! Yes, it was a B&W shoot, but we did not like the posing!. It was as amateurish as the photographers that snap you in the MDR. At well over $200 for just a few shots, it just was not what we expected.

We were convinced to go for the shot on the Sapphire last week.

He took some really nice pictures but wow were they expensive.

we got down to 9 we "really" liked but then came the price....

Yes the more you have the more discount you get off but no way were we going to pay that much for that many.

For 1 printed 8x10 plastic board print it was $150 dollars if we wanted it in a digital format it was $300 per photo.

As he put it 1 photo printed was 1 point and the digital was 2 points.

Each point is $150.

In the end we chose 3, 2 singles and 1 of the 2 of us.

Now I just have to wait for them to be delivered which he said could take up to 10 weeks, it may be that long as we are in the UK. So will see.

On arrival the 1st thing I will do is scan them and have them reprinted to a bigger size.

They say no pressure but how many of us actually say no I don't want any at all.

Jules

• 2 years later...

I hope someone will reply to this since the topic appeared 3 years ago.

HOW & WHERE DO i GET THESE LOVELY PICTURES FRAMED?

They are very thick.  Any online suggestions would be gladly appreciated.  I want them up on the wall not in a box. 🙂

Vickie Hipkiss
Walnut Creek, CA

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dogsnotallowed said:

I hope someone will reply to this since the topic appeared 3 years ago.

HOW & WHERE DO i GET THESE LOVELY PICTURES FRAMED?

They are very thick.  Any online suggestions would be gladly appreciated.  I want them up on the wall not in a box. 🙂

Vickie Hipkiss
Walnut Creek, CA

Any place that does framing. Heck, even Michaels does framing. Choose your frame. Choose your matting. Have them frame it.

Edited by Thrak

Thanks, all, for the great comments, interesting thoughts, and wonderful pics.  

Do you think that the Platinum Studio will still be there when cruising resumes?  I have cruises scheduled on Ruby and Grand, but not until November and then the following March.

The quality of the pictures looks great, but the price...  yikes!  I guess it is a case of paying appropriately for quality.  I understand.  It is just that the first glimpse of the price was a shock.  I am not familiar with shoreside studio photography prices.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.