Passports on excursions

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 8,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:56 PM.
5 Posts
Joined May 2017
My first cruise and I have heard a yes and a no to this question. we are taking a western Caribbean cruise next month. Question ...do we need to bring our passports on excursions?? thanks for your help.
'
Western PA
1,042 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
No. Just take your ship card, for getting off and back on the ship. Some ports/ships also ask you to take a photo ID, such as a drivers license.
southern NM desert
11,489 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by gorham cruiser
My first cruise and I have heard a yes and a no to this question. we are taking a western Caribbean cruise next month. Question ...do we need to bring our passports on excursions?? thanks for your help.
'
No. None of the Western Caribbean destinations require seeing your passport. We always leave ours in the safe in out cabin.
Just bring a govt photo id and your shipcard.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NM Lady (Mary Kay) & Joe
Platinum on NCL, 2-Star Mariner on HAL

Booked: NCL Sun April 19 - May 7, 2018.
Seattle to Port Canaveral via Panama Canal
Our third transit through the Canal.

1999-2016: 23 cruises
12 NCL, 2 HAL, 2 RCI, 2 Carnival, 2 Celebrity, 2 Oceania,
and 1 Radisson now Regent, around Italy (a sweepstakes prize!)
Philly burbs, PA.
11,332 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by gorham cruiser
'
The other responses are correct - no passport is needed off the ship at any Caribbean location on a US based closed loop cruise. (One that originates and ends at the same US port). The "yes" response perhaps relates to having a passport as ID at original embarkation. Some cruise lines require this now and others do not.

The typical boarding requirements for this type of cruise are a passport -or- a valid picture ID and a birth certificate. Check with your cruise line to confirm their requirements. But once on board no passport is needed to disembark or go on excursions at those ports of call. The only potential concern regarding a passport would be if you need to leave unexpected from a port of call back to the US, a passport may be required to re-enter the US. But there are US services available to assist in that type of emergency and if a passport is on board the crew will bring it to you on shore.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI / Celebrity cruises:
RCI Sovereign
RCI Majesty (twice)
RCI Grandeur (3 times - Maiden voyage +2)
RCI Adventure (3 times)
RCI Voyager
RCI Navigator (twice)
RCI Mariner
RCI Serenade
RCI Jewel
RCI Oasis (twice)
RCI Explorer (twice)
RCI Independence (twice)
RCI Freedom
RCI Allure
RCI Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Equinox 3/18
Celebrity Reflection 6/18
Celebrity Summit 11/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19
Upcoming:

Palm City, Fl
4,063 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
Key point for me, as noted by previous posters....

For US citizens, a passport is not even needed to take a closed loop cruise in countries included in the WHTI.

This means that thousands of passengers take excursions every week without a passport. They may not even own a passport.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Spirit 2003 (Caribbean)
Carnival Fascination 2004 (Caribbean)
HAL Noordam 2004 (Norway)
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 ( E. Mediterranean)
Carnival Glory 2010 (b2b E+W Caribbean)
Emerald Princess 2012 (Caribbean)
Island Princess 2012 (Panama Canal-full transit)
Ruby Princess 2014 (Caribbean)
HAL Ryndam 2014 (W. Caribbean)
Ruby Princess 2014 (W. Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2016 (Journey-E. Caribbean)
HAL Zaandam 2016 (BA to Santiago)

HAL Zuiderdam 2018 (Partial Canal)
HAL Maasdam 2018 (Tahiti)
Philly burbs, PA.
11,332 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by thinfool

For US citizens, a passport is not even needed to take a closed loop cruise in countries included in the WHTI.

This means that thousands of passengers take excursions every week without a passport. They may not even own a passport.
That is a good point as Canadians, for instance, do need a passport to board a US based closed loop cruise. But again, once on board the passport is not needed again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI / Celebrity cruises:
RCI Sovereign
RCI Majesty (twice)
RCI Adventure (3 times)
RCI Voyager
RCI Navigator (twice)
RCI Mariner
RCI Serenade
RCI Jewel
RCI Oasis (twice)
RCI Explorer (twice)
RCI Independence (twice)
RCI Freedom
RCI Allure
RCI Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Equinox 3/18
Celebrity Summit 11/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19
Upcoming:

18 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
While technically you do not need it. I prefer to take mine as well as my drivers license for instances of emergencies. If I need to get a flight out of the port country you would need a passport. So I suppose it's up to you as you won't technically need it on the excursion just in an emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Philly burbs, PA.
11,332 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by kirbyl
While technically you do not need it. I prefer to take mine as well as my drivers license for instances of emergencies. If I need to get a flight out of the port country you would need a passport. So I suppose it's up to you as you won't technically need it on the excursion just in an emergency.

Agree. We always travel with ours. I also travel on business domestically and take it then as well. Easier form of ID for me at security and serves as a back up to assure I get on my return flight should I loose my wallet or drivers license. Just my personal preference.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI / Celebrity cruises:
RCI Sovereign
RCI Majesty (twice)
RCI Adventure (3 times)
RCI Voyager
RCI Navigator (twice)
RCI Mariner
RCI Serenade
RCI Jewel
RCI Oasis (twice)
RCI Explorer (twice)
RCI Independence (twice)
RCI Freedom
RCI Allure
RCI Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Equinox 3/18
Celebrity Summit 11/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19
Upcoming:

South Carolina
28,470 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Hi "gorham cruiser"! Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Leave your Passport in your cabin safe.
Take your cruise card, a government issued photo ID (drivers license or copy of your passport), and the contact info for your ship's port agent (it's listed on the daily news letter on port days).

Have a WONDERFUL cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
Point Richmond CA
4,647 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by thinfool

That may be true as far as certain government authorities are concerned. However, some cruise lines (pretty much all the premium/luxury lines) require all passengers on all itineraries to present a passport at embarkation. And, in all but a few instances (depending on itinerary), those lines also require that you surrender that passport to the Purser at check-in (for all of the obvious reasons).

New York City
7,457 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Once we get into our cabin I put our passports in the safe and leave them there for the duration of the cruise.

If you absolutely feel you should bring a passport with you, make a copy of them before you leave and bring that with you.

If this is your first cruise, consider booking your excursions with the cruise line. The major benefit being that if the tour returns late to the port, the ship will wait for you.

We have experienced this first hand.

Happy cruising.

Jonathan
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Liberty of the Seas Review - 8/22/15
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2253857

Live from the Explorer of the Seas - 2/16/14
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1990840

Live from the Noordam Transatlantic - 4/5/08
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=749667

2017 - QM2 - Anthem of the Seas - 2016 - Regal Princess -
2016 - RCCL Anthem of the Seas - 2015 RCCL Liberty of the Seas
2014 - RCCL Quantum of the Seas - 2014 RCCL Explorer of the Seas
2011 - Cunard - Queen Elizabeth - 2010 Celebrity Summit
2009 - Cunard QM2 - 2008 - HAL Eurodam - 2008 HAL Noordam
2007 - HAL Noordam - 2006 - Cunard QM2 - 2006 Cunard QM2
2005 - Cunard QM2 - 2004 Cunard QM2 - 2003 - Cunard QE2
1979 - Royal Viking Line - 1976 - Mississippi Queen - 1974 HAL Rotterdam
1973 - SS France - 1972 - Cunard QE2- 1971 - Cunard QE2 -
1970 - Cunard Franconia - 1969 - Leonard Da Vinci

Royal Carribean Cruise Line - Platinum
Cunard Line - Platinum
Enosburg Falls, VT
17,638 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by cruiserking
Once we get into our cabin I put our passports in the safe and leave them there for the duration of the cruise.

If you absolutely feel you should bring a passport with you, make a copy of them before you leave and bring that with you.

If this is your first cruise, consider booking your excursions with the cruise line. The major benefit being that if the tour returns late to the port, the ship will wait for you.

Happy cruising.

Jonathan
Most people that do take their passports with them off the ship do so in case something happens that would cause them to need to fly home and having the passport with them would allow them to do that. A copy will not allow them to do that, so taking a copy does not eliminate the concern those folks have. I leave mine on the ship, because I figure if something does happen that would cause us to have to fly home there would very likely be time to notify the ship in order for our passports to be turned over to the port agent, which the ship will do in any event if they had to leave without us. At the end of the day each traveler needs to make the decision that works best for them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruise photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparks1093/

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323
NCL Gem Bahamas May 2014 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=255699
CCL Fascination S. Caribbean October 2016 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=551888

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!
Point Richmond CA
4,647 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by cruiserking

Happy cruising.

Jonathan

I wish folks would stop saying "the ship will wait for you." Read the fine print. Basically, all you are guaranteed is that you will incur no expenses in getting back to the ship, which may be long gone (for all sorts of reasons).
Now, if it's a busload (or two) on a ship excursion, certainly every attempt will be made to wait. But, as the old saying goes: "time and tide wait for no man."
BTW, most well respected private tour providers will also cover the cost of getting you back onboard (often your private tour company may be the same one the ship is using - e.g., Spain Day Tours).

5,975 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Don't take your passport off the ship. If you do, you're opening yourself to the possibility of losing it /being pickpocketed ... then you're really screwed when you get back to the US and cannot pass through Customs.
Enosburg Falls, VT
17,638 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by MrsPete
Don't take your passport off the ship. If you do, you're opening yourself to the possibility of losing it /being pickpocketed ... then you're really screwed when you get back to the US and cannot pass through Customs.
It actually might be worse than that- if you report the loss/theft to the ship they are very likely to put you ashore unless you have some other document that will get you through Customs. If you are a US citizen Customs has no legal authority to deny you entry into the US, even if your documents were lost or stolen. They will send you to secondary inspection and it might take a lot more time to process you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruise photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparks1093/

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323
NCL Gem Bahamas May 2014 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=255699
CCL Fascination S. Caribbean October 2016 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=551888

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!
Fredericksburg, va. USA
83,752 Posts
Joined May 2001
No...no Caribbean country requires a passport from cruisers. No worries. You should bring your DL, tho...always good to have ID on you! Same size as your ship's key!
Point Richmond CA
4,647 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by cb at sea
No...no Caribbean country requires a passport from cruisers. No worries. You should bring your DL, tho...always good to have ID on you! Same size as your ship's key!

Have you forgotten that Cuba is in the Caribbean?

Tampa Bay, FL
49 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Flatbush Flyer
Have you forgotten that Cuba is in the Caribbean?

Does this mean that you are required to take your passport with you while in Cuba?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous Cruise

Carnival Inspiration September 2011