Carnival hit new low

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:55 PM.
Idaho
2,746 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
lol.
Another surprise was my FREE DRINK Coupon that cost me $1.09
Like they say, everyone has their breaking point.
Your breaking point is $1.09
Now you know.
AZ
4,283 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
Originally posted by ryano
And you can go to the Royal Caribbean board and read the same complaints Yes, entertainment is better. No, the food is NOT better to most that sail both lines without bias. Carnival does MUCH better with their included options than Royal does. You cant even compare to that frozen garbage they serve at Sorrentos to a fresh made Carnival pizza. Royals included Windjammer burgers are horrid, their desserts are also about 100% gelatin crap too. The MDR is a tie to me and the Windjammer is a little better than Carnivals Lido Marketplace. Carnivals steakhouses blow Chops out of the water. Period.
Our two most recent cruises were on RCI and we enjoyed both (especially the concierge lounge) but I think I have to give all your points above a big because I agree. Chops was quite a disappointment.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"What we've got here is... failure to communicate."
North Ga
8,753 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by joepeka
Our two most recent cruises were on RCI and we enjoyed both (especially the concierge lounge) but I think I have to give all your points above a big because I agree. Chops was quite a disappointment.
I love Royals ships and entertainment. Their food overall is a huge disappointment and their drinks are outrageous.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Caribbean on 10/07/2017 aboard the Carnival Magic! Visit Carnival.com to see all Caribbean cruises.

Carnival Holiday - 6/08
Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - 5/10
Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas - 2/11
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas - 4/12
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas 4/15
Carnival Magic - 5/16
2,491 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by rsember1
Over the past years with 2 new CEOs, the line has made the bottom line priority. .
Thankfully, Carnival is run by business savvy CEOs who know what's best for the company and its shareholders. The consistant annual earnings and quarterly dividends speak for themselves.
Virginia
942 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by cruisemom67
LOL, we did Disney a couple years ago because all my kids' friends had been and "all we had ever done was go on cruises" (or land vacations like Grand Canyon, New York, etc.). So we finally went to Disney. It cost more, and all the kids said was, "this is fun...but I wish we were on a cruise again!"

Lol. Glad I'm not the only one. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney! There's just something about spending all day walking around in the hot sun, followed by fighting tourist/angry local drivers in traffic to go and stand in an overly crowded pizza place to pick up a luke warm dinner...which we then take back to our hotel and awkwardly eat over the small desk space...

I will gladly take an elevator ride down to the MDR and have a full service meal at no extra cost. If I order a dessert I don't like (impossible because I always get melting cake ), I will go get myself a bowl of ice cream...also at no extra cost.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app
Enosburg Falls, VT
17,781 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by Flatbush Flyer
Never truer were the words: "you get what you pay for."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
I most certainly hope so.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruise photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparks1093/

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323
NCL Gem Bahamas May 2014 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=255699
CCL Fascination S. Caribbean October 2016 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=551888

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!
Kansas
202 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by rsember1
Here is your review:
Just when you though that it could not get any worse, Carnival now serves Peach pie, blueberry pie, and cherry pie that consists of 90% Gelatin and a few bits of peaches blueberries and 1 cherry in their desert pies that were served in the main dining room. Pies were shown to maitre'd who acted like he was unaware that it was mostly gelatin but did or said nothing about it. I am a diamond member on Carnival with over 300 days sailing and every time I have sailed in the past year each time something new gets taken away from the passengers. Other cruise lines are going forward but Carnival seems to be in reverse. I now consider other lines as my first choice when booking cruises, and give up my few perks as a diamond club member. Another surprise was my FREE DRINK Coupon that cost me $1.09 because the coupon was only good for $8.95 in the brunch (which is the only place I could use it) and the Bloody Mary's were $9.95 plus tip and many drinks that have been raised to $9.25, were charged $.24.This is that worst proof of penny pinching on a cruise line I have ever seen. In my opinion Carnival has got to improve these givebacks for me to consider cruising with them again. I am so sorry to have to say this after 25 years of cruising with them
Pie? They serve pie? I thought the ONLY dessert they had in the MDR was warm chocolate melting cake with a dollop of vanilla ice cream on the side. Hmmm... Nevermind, I'll stick with my choice! Haha I do love that chocolate melting cake...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#1 -Carnival Destiny (Miami, FL)-Jan 2012-Grand Turk/Half Moon Cay/ Nassau
#2- Carnival Elation (New Orleans, LA) -May 2013-Progresso/Cozumel
#3 -Royal Caribbean - Navigator of the Seas (Galveston, TX) -Jan 2015
Falmouth Jamaica/Grand Cayman/Cozumel
#4 Carnival Dream (New Orleans)-Montego Bay Jamaica/ Grand Cayman/Cozumel-Apr/May 2017
#5 Carnival Breeze (Galveston)-Cozumel/Belize/Mahogany Bay-Sept 2017
#6 Norweigan Jade (Star Trek Cruise)(Miami,FL) (Roatan Honduras, Harvest Caye Belize, Costa
Maya, Mexico)Jan 2018

OH-IO (Go Bucks)
1,203 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Originally posted by ryano
And you can go to the Royal Caribbean board and read the same complaints Yes, entertainment is better. No, the food is NOT better to most that sail both lines without bias. Carnival does MUCH better with their included options than Royal does. You cant even compare to that frozen garbage they serve at Sorrentos to a fresh made Carnival pizza. Royals included Windjammer burgers are horrid, their desserts are also about 100% gelatin crap too. The MDR is a tie to me and the Windjammer is a little better than Carnivals Lido Marketplace. Carnivals steakhouses blow Chops out of the water. Period.
Exactly! I agree 100% with everything you said. Being a former "loyal to Royal" customer, I finally got sick of their increasing prices and getting less for it. Those burgers are the worst things on the planet. The pizza is only edible late at night when there's nothing else to fill the hole. And our last trip to Chops we had terrible service and felt rushed so they could get the next group in, for less than expected quality of meats.

I personally feel that Carnival is a very good value for the money. RCCL is getting too big for their britches and it's showing in their service and constant attempts to get in your wallet once onboard. Our last cruise on the Oasis was terrible and we paid big bucks and are finished with them for a while. We are doing the Dream this year and are going on Disney next year and possibly Norwegian as it's an Anniversary year and graduation year as well so we're planning 2 cruises on 2 lines we've never been on. As we try out these other lines we'll be able to better compare which lines are better.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Dream 6/17
Oasis of the Seas 6/15
Carnival Dream 07/12
Carnival Dream 08/11
Oasis of the Seas 06/10
Monarch of the Seas 08/09
Adventure of the Seas 08/08
Freedom of the Seas 10/1/06
Navigator of the Seas 9/05
Norwegian Majesty 10/03
Long Island, NY
8,193 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
If I ever get to the point where pies make or break my cruise, it is time to stop cruising- not just switch cruiselines. Maybe they should fire the pie-filling person for skimping on the fruit - lol.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming soon: CCL Glory 1/18 - cruise #35
NCL Epic 8/27/17 (13098/13102): CCL Splendor 2/26/17 (7410); NCL Pride of America 12/24/16 (8528/8530); NCL Getaway 6/5/16 (11256); CCL Splendor 2/14/16 (7443); NCL Getaway NYE 12/27/15 (12164/12166);CCL Liberty 6/28/15 (8261); CCL Splendor 2/15/15 (8457); NCL Epic Xmas 12/21/14 (13098/13102; NCL Gem 8/16/14(10100);CCL Conquest 2/16/14 (7434); RCCL FOS Xmas 12/22/13 (GS1578);NCL Breakaway 8/18/13 (9728);CCL Breeze 3/24/13 (8232); CCL Breeze Xmas 12/22/12 (8244/8248); CCL Spirit 8/21/12 (7189); CCL Liberty Xmas 12/24/11 (7414/18); CLL Miracle 8/26/11 (4165); CCL Glory 2/20/11 (9242); CCL Dream Xmas/NYE 12/23/10 (8319/23) Platinum; CCL Glory 7/31/10 (8285); CCL Liberty 2/13/10 (7434); CCL Fantasy 7/25/09 (U97); CCL Miracle Xmas 12/23/08 (6232); CCL Freedom 4/19/08 (6229);CCL Freedom Xmas 12/22/07 (7414/7418); CCL Valor 8/19/07 (8212); CCL Destiny Xmas 12/24/06 (7250); CCL Liberty Xmas/NYE 12/24/05 (6220)Disney Magic Xmas '02; Disney Wonder 8/00; Disney Magic 8/98; Home Lines Homeric 6/86; Premier Big Red Boat Oceanic 6/85; Home Lines Atlantic 6/84
SoCal Gal
5,438 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by SadieN
Our last Princess (Ruby in January) cruise the desserts were lousy. Either no taste or odd texture. The Miracle's desserts last week were an improvement.

On another note, all of Princess' danish and croissants were very dry, like day old.

Completely agree that food complaints are similar across the boards.
This makes me sad. Do they still have the bread pudding? We'll be on Princess next year and I was really looking forward to their desserts (like I need more dessert in my life...lol).

I may have to give Oceania a try. Maybe I'll sail with Flatbush Flyer. I picture him in a monocle and cravat.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
Save

Save
Save
95 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by calvegas04
I would recommend RCCL, their food and entertainment is better and the prices are not that much different
Food is always going to be subjective. My husband and I thought the food on our last RC cruise in October was disgusting. The only decent food we had all week was in the extra-charge Sabor restaurant. I do agree that the entertainment was undeniably better.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:
*Married on RC Freedom of the Seas 5/9/10
*RC Navigator of the Seas 2/7/11
*First cruise w/ my little one Carnival Dream 1/18/14
*Belated anniversary cruise on Carnival Breeze 1/10/16
*Halloween on RC Allure of the Seas 10/30/16