How bad is Empress?

We're looking for a quick 4-5 day cruise while in Florida in February and I'm looking for advice. We've only sailed Voyager class and larger and are also interested in experiencing a smaller ship. We want to plan for a JS but could go up to a GS if the price is right. I have it narrowed down to 3 options:

1. 5 night on Brilliance out of Tampa to Georgetown and Cozumel. JS = ~$1500 pp
  2. 5 night on Serenade out of Fort Lauderdale to Costa Maya and Cozumel. GS = ~$1500 pp (no JS available)
  3. 5 night on Empress out of Miami to Key West and Costa Maya. JS = ~$800 pp

We've been to Georgetown and Cozumel a few times and would prefer to see Costa Maya and Key West since we've not been to either. The Empress cruise therefore has the most preferable itinerary and is the cheapest. I've read here though that a JS on Empress is more like a standard balcony on newer ships. I know also that Empress is older and has been sold/bought/refurbished/etc. The Serenade looks attractive because it would be a GS, and many people say that Radiance class is their favorite.

What would you choose?

Although I’m not a fan of the smaller ships, Empress was just fine for me on our recent September Cruise. See my review for a discussion of the pros and cons of Empress.

Empress of the Seas-September 23-27; My .02

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=24703&share_tid=2548531&url=https%3A%2F%2Fboards%2Ecruisecritic%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D2548531&share_type=t

I enjoyed the Empress last year. My big issue was the room placement - it just reminded me that I really do care about my room placement and guarantee isn't always worth the savings. The staff was lovely and I enjoyed the ship!

We sailed on the Empress and had one of our best cruises. The rooms are small but we did not spend much time in there anyway. By far the smoothest ride of all our cruises. She has my vote. Take that extra money and spend it on yourself while cruising. See my signature for my review and videos of that ship.

We're looking for a quick 4-5 day cruise while in Florida in February and I'm looking for advice. We've only sailed Voyager class and larger and are also interested in experiencing a smaller ship. We want to plan for a JS but could go up to a GS if the price is right. I have it narrowed down to 3 options:
  1. 5 night on Brilliance out of Tampa to Georgetown and Cozumel. JS = ~$1500 pp
  2. 5 night on Serenade out of Fort Lauderdale to Costa Maya and Cozumel. GS = ~$1500 pp (no JS available)
  3. 5 night on Empress out of Miami to Key West and Costa Maya. JS = ~$800 pp

We've been to Georgetown and Cozumel a few times and would prefer to see Costa Maya and Key West since we've not been to either. The Empress cruise therefore has the most preferable itinerary and is the cheapest. I've read here though that a JS on Empress is more like a standard balcony on newer ships. I know also that Empress is older and has been sold/bought/refurbished/etc. The Serenade looks attractive because it would be a GS, and many people say that Radiance class is their favorite.

What would you choose?

Most of my cruises are based on destinations, and not size of the room. I also consider Oasis Class a destination in itself. With that being said, and based on your statement, I would go on Empress because it is to places you want to go. Empress is small, and old. The rooms are tiny, so a JS is the same as a balcony on bigger ships. I prefer bigger ships, but I did go on her two times, and enjoyed it. First was to Cozumel and the other to Cuba.