Gift Cards

Gert2011

Received an email yesterday from Princess advertising their Gift cards. If you buy a $500 or more give card, you get a free $25 gift card that expires 2/28/18. I bought one, wife bought one and then I called our TA and had the four e-gift cards applied to our balance for a cruise final payment is due 12/31/17.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/overview/gift-cards/?cid=brand_email_info_internal_giftcard_other_pf7ms124_171121_holiday

TA told me to hold on to my gift cards until after the cruise and that got me to thinking that the $500 gift cards would be refundable if we canceled the cruise.

So my question is, why wouldn't it be a good idea to buy gift cards for a cruise and then insure the non-refundable part of the cruise at like $500 to get the pre-existing medical coverage?

Of course, insure within the time limit period required by insurance.

What am I missing on this idea?

Because many of the travel insurance policies REQUIRE you to insure the entire amount of your travel to be eligible for pre-existing coverage.

If during the claims process it is determined that not all costs were covered, the policy is void.

Insurance companies have been at this for over 100 years. They know the tricks.

Because many of the travel insurance policies REQUIRE you to insure the entire amount of your travel to be eligible for pre-existing coverage.

If during the claims process it is determined that not all costs were covered, the policy is void.

Insurance companies have been at this for over 100 years. They know the tricks.

Thanks for the response.

I usually purchase through Travel Guard with the Costco plan. My policy says:

Pre-Existing Medical Condition Exclusion Waiver.

The Company will waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion if the following conditions are met:

1. This plan is purchased within 21 days of Initial Trip Payment;

2. The amount of coverage purchased equals all prepaid, nonrefundable payments or deposits applicable to the trip at the time of purchase and the costs of any subsequent arrangements added to the same trip are insured within 21 days of the date of payment or deposit for any subsequent trip arrangements;

3. All insured's are medically able to travel when this plan cost is paid;

4. The Trip Cost does not exceed $100000 per person (only applicable to trip cancellation/interruption)