Breakaway planned refurbishment??

I thought that I read somewhere that the dry dock will take place in Brest, France. Please correct if I'm wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised.

The drydock in Brest is huge and it's where Epic got it's enhancements.

Nothing major planned for BA in dry dock. Paint, replacement carpets, etc, just normal maintenance from wear. No major improvements planned. NCL employees will conduct most of the maintenance. Azipods will get some attention (one had some intermittent issues) and the props will have normal maintenance done from wear. I believe, but not certain, it will be done in a dry dock leased in South Hampton. That I'm not certain of the rest of the info on planned MX is for certain. Hope that helps a bit.

• 4 months later...

After sailing through bomb cyclone Grayson earlier this month, Breakaway will definitely need to have her carpet replaced to prevent mold problem. That might be already in the original dry dock plan. I hope the 2-week dry dock in the spring will give them enough time to address additional issues that Grayson may have brought onto the ship . Safe sailing, everyone!

After sailing through bomb cyclone Grayson earlier this month, Breakaway will definitely need to have her carpet replaced to prevent mold problem. That might be already in the original dry dock plan. I hope the 2-week dry dock in the spring will give them enough time to address additional issues that Grayson may have brought onto the ship . Safe sailing, everyone!

Those areas that were flooded during the storm will be renewed even before the drydock, if needed. Major carpet renewal is completely within a two week drydock capability. I'm not aware of any "issues" that were from the storm, other than things like glass replacement or door weatherstripping that will be dealt with on an as needed basis during normal operations. Typically, nearly all work inside the passenger areas is done by outside the shipyard sub-contractors, so if they need more carpet layers, they can be hired.

• 2 weeks later...

One could wonder how the recent storm damage could impact the planned dry dock project. My point being...the cruise line could simply say "well she's going into dry dock in a few months anyway, so no point in replacing all the moldy carpet and other non structural damage ahead of that". If that was the case then the next several cruises on BA could have noticeable issues with the condition of carpeting, etc.

I't's kind of like when you do a renovation at home. Say you have plans to redo your kitchen, including getting all new appliances, in six months but the refrigerator starts to not cool like it should. Do you replace your refrigerator immediately or just live with it until the renovations are upon you? Just a thought.

I thought that I read somewhere that the dry dock will take place in Brest, France. Please correct if I'm wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised. The drydock in Brest is huge and it's where Epic got it's enhancements.

That's because the Epic was built in France. She went back to her builders for her dry dock (which included cutting big holes in the hull to pull and replace two engines).

Breakaway as built in Meyer Werft in Germany.

Well, I'm thoroughly confused, because I have started planning a cruise for May 2019 and Breakaway is the only ship scheduled for the Carribean that month. But there's an article higher up in this post that made me think she'd be in Europe...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Getaway will take Breakaway's place in summer 2019 - the Baltics - as it's her turn to be dry-docked in Spring 2019.

• 2 weeks later...
On October 2, 2018 the Breakaway will be departing Copenhagen for a 14-day transatlantic trip back to New York. I'm happy to be on that trip.

We are also on this cruise. Glad it will be all refreshed.

• 1 month later...
http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/cruise-ships/season-current

at the first stop in Copenhagen Breakaway is coming from Rotterdam, maybe dry dock in Rotterdam.

Hoping for a fresh new ship in July.

We're on the Breakaway from Copenhagen in October, so I hope they do lots of great stuff on the ship!

Found this on the NCL website: https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/press-rele...019-deployment

Europe

Guest sailing with Norwegian Cruise Line can immerse themselves in the sights, sounds and flavors of Europe with five ships based in the region in summer 2018.

Norwegian Breakaway will depart her New York homeport on April 15 for the first time since her inaugural season in 2013 for a 12-day transatlantic voyage to London (Southampton).

Following her arrival in Europe, Norwegian Breakaway will undergo enhancements in dry dock and then journey to her new seasonal homeport of Copenhagen, where she will sail nine-day Scandinavia & Russia cruises through the summer season.

We like cruising out of Port Canaveral when possible, so we just booked our first NCL cruise on Breakaway for Nov 2019 in PC, we have done 12 cruises with Carnival so far, thought we would spread our wings a little, this will be the largest ship we have been on also, glad to see she get's some refurbishments in 2018.

We like cruising out of Port Canaveral when possible, so we just booked our first NCL cruise on Breakaway for Nov 2019 in PC, we have done 12 cruises with Carnival so far, thought we would spread our wings a little, this will be the largest ship we have been on also, glad to see she get's some refurbishments in 2018.

I've done a couple on Carnival (years ago) and hands down NCL is better. I've had several friends do Carnival in the past few years and the one constant is everyone always says it's like a redneck party boat. I would be hard pressed to venture beyond NCL at this point but may one day try RCCL Oasis class just to see what all the talk is about.

We love NCL.

I've done a couple on Carnival (years ago) and hands down NCL is better. I've had several friends do Carnival in the past few years and the one constant is everyone always says it's like a redneck party boat. I would be hard pressed to venture beyond NCL at this point but may one day try RCCL Oasis class just to see what all the talk is about.

We love NCL.

I don't know about redneck, lol, but we have never had any problems, yes the shorter cruises 3-4 days are a little more "party" atmosphere but 7-8 days have always been great but we cruise with friends a lot of times and have our own stuff planned, lately the last 2 or 3 cruises I see many changes that are not for the better happening, so we thought let's try another line and see how it compares. We live in FL but like to cruise out of PC/Tampa if possible so CCL has more choices for a quick getaway but Breakaway looks awesome.

I don't know about redneck, lol, but we have never had any problems, yes the shorter cruises 3-4 days are a little more "party" atmosphere but 7-8 days have always been great but we cruise with friends a lot of times and have our own stuff planned, lately the last 2 or 3 cruises I see many changes that are not for the better happening, so we thought let's try another line and see how it compares. We live in FL but like to cruise out of PC/Tampa if possible so CCL has more choices for a quick getaway but Breakaway looks awesome.

Maybe redneck isn't the right word... LOL. I've got some friends who used to always do CCL and finally convinced them to try NCL. They say they'll never go back to CCL now they were so impressed with the difference. Every cruise line has their thing though...

A lot of people feel like NCL nickels and dimes people to death but I don't think they do. Yes, if you choose the UBP or SDP, you pay gratuities up front but you know what, if you buy drinks onboard or buy speciality dining on board, you're going to pay gratuities anyway (and likely more than if you just booked the package). And sure, CCL's drink package if you are going to pay outright is cheaper than NCL but I think that is part of the reason they get the bad wrap as party boats. You can sail cheap and drink to your hearts content.