Day trips out of Dublin

Busman723

We are going be in Dublin in April. We are doing a cruise, but are coming 4 days early. We are staying in Dublin and want to do some day trips. We need some suggestion for our stay. What is better renting a car or doing public transportation in the area.

Thanks

Public transport in Dublin is great, easy to use and relatively cheap. Parking at hotels in city center is quite steep. There are lots of easy day trips from Dublin. I love a trip south to County Wicklow and Glendalough. There are several tour companies that do inexpensive day trips there.

If you have a chance a 1-2 day trip to Belfast would be awesome. It's a 2 hour train ride each way (or there is a cheap express bus from the Dublin airport). .

Day trips that we've taken when we've stayed in our Dublin suburb timeshare include Powerscourt Gardens, the Wicklow Mts., Newgrange, Tullamore (home of the Dew and Irish Mist) and Howth (via DART). We did have a rental vehicle, but would take the DART from Dalkey where our timeshare is into Dublin city.

I know there are companies like Paddy Wagon that offer a variety of daytrips out of Dublin with hotel pickup/return. You could even go as far as Blarney Castle in the south and Galway in the west.

• 11 months later...

hope it's not top late to post to this tread vs starting another for same thing.

Looking for excursion to Powerscourt from Dublin. Princess has one and Viator has one (which is actually pretty much what I want) but I can't find the excursion company to book direct.

Most that I've found start at 10:30am or earlier and we don't even dock until 11:00am. The Viator one has morning or afternoon with afternoon leaving at 1:30 which would be great, but whose it it?

I've seen several reference to taking a bus from Dublin but when I go to the bus sites either they leave too early or I can't even find info on travel to Powerscourt.

I hate asking for help for something I should be able to fire out but after about 2 hours searching with minimal success . . . HELP, please if you can.

Thanks

Sandi

hope it's not top late to post to this tread vs starting another for same thing.

Looking for excursion to Powerscourt from Dublin. Princess has one and Viator has one (which is actually pretty much what I want) but I can't find the excursion company to book direct.

Most that I've found start at 10:30am or earlier and we don't even dock until 11:00am. The Viator one has morning or afternoon with afternoon leaving at 1:30 which would be great, but whose it it?

I've seen several reference to taking a bus from Dublin but when I go to the bus sites either they leave too early or I can't even find info on travel to Powerscourt.

I hate asking for help for something I should be able to fire out but after about 2 hours searching with minimal success . . . HELP, please if you can.

Thanks

Sandi

I'm trying too and found the bus timetable : it seems bus 44 to Enniskerry is the good one, but : only one bus per hour, trip takes 1h35 ( a lot of stops) and, according to google map, the bus stop doesn't seem to be really close to Powerscourt (a good walk!). If you want to have a look, the website is "dublinbus.ie" look at route 44. I think I'll take Princess "Powerscourt and Dublin on your own" : less stressing. Sorry if my answer is not very useful, it's only the result of a web research.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have booked a tour with Beautiful Meath. They have great reviews, and the owner, Derek, is very responsive and easy to work with. He might be able to help you.

http://beautifulmeath.com

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Derek is indeed a great guide. I did a tour with him in September 2014 ... although the weather was not at all cooperative, we thoroughly enjoyed our day with Derek! Good choice.