Interesting Concept of Viking Combined River/Ocean Cruises.

Lottie A

Just had an email about this new concept from Viking in 2018. I would be very interested in this. Only two itineraries at present of 15 day Rhine river cruise combined with The Fjords in June 2015 with a starting price of £4,645 and the second cruise is an 18 day cruise in September 3018 to The Rhine and Amsterdam with Spain, starting at £4,395. Both changeover from river boat to cruise ship in Amsterdam.

I have booked a B2B cruise on Azamara next June but I am certainly interested in the September 2018 cruise. Well done Viking for thinking of this new concept....well it is new to me anyway. :)

I didn't get an email but I think it is a wonderful idea. We did that combo on our own this past June. Hopped off a Viking River Rhine cruise (7 days) and picked up an Oceania cruise several weeks later in Monte Carlo. I couldn't find a combo that worked closer in timing or ports so if Viking is doing the scheduling that is a great idea.

Absolutely fascinated by the concept. Despite being a Viking Ocean & River customer received no email. Any colonials receive this email?

Well this Yankee wouldn't know because she just skims the subject line before deleting--too much temptation contained therein.

I saw this offering of River/ocean combo on the Viking ocean web site.It was under a special catergory along with the the world offerings.

Also there are some new offerings for 2018/2019 in the Baltic. I am looking at the Keil canal and Denmark, Norway sailing

The combination of River and ocean makes perfect sense . by 2019 they will have more ocean ships too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As of now there are two river-ocean combo on Viking website Basel to Bergen and Basel to Barcelona. Both of them have the same river cruise Basel to Amsterdam and a different ocean part.

For some reason none of the US cruisers got an email about this :confused:

I put together my own viking river/ocean cruise last year. Viking homelands followed by Russian river. Had to schedule my own flight and transport Sweden to St. Petersburg. But what a wonderful experince it was! Glad they see the value now. Want to do something similar with China and Far East

There are so many river cruise companies doing all the major rivers that it is quite easy to put together your own combination. That opens up any river itinerary to mate with your ocean cruise, not just the few that Viking has chosen.

• 4 months later...
The combo River / Ocean cruise booking have just opened for 2019 Booked the Basel - Bergen !!

Would appreciate comments from those who have done one or are booked on the 2018 cruise. Tried too late for '18

You are not late, I just checked viking site and they have all categories available for your cruise. The one from Basel to Barcelona is sold out.