Live from Splendour of the Seas - Dubai

As the cruise is drawing to a close I thought I would put down some thoughts and observations for those taking this cruise in the following weeks; as there does not seem to be much information or feedback on this itinerary.

Firstly if you are on the RCI package with flights that arrive early in the morning, you are taken from the airport to Le Meridian hotel ( which is practically opposite the airport) to have breakfast and to complete checkin formalities. You luggage is taken straight to the ship so remember to pack your swimming stuff etc into your hand luggage. There is a full breakfast laid on, with pastries, fruit and even an omelette chef, so don't bother with the plane breakfast! We were at the hotel by 9am and on the ship by 11:20. Hotel also has free wifi.

The drinks prices on board include the tip. Some sample prices:

Diet Coke $3

Corona beer $6.50

Pint /20oz draft beer $7.50

Cocktail of the day and keep the glass $10

Baileys $9

Sauvignon blanc $9

Strawberry margarita $12

They offer a 3-meal deal (Chefs table, Chops and Izumi) for $120pp. However as I never saw any restaurant full I suspect you could have haggled a discounted price.

Dining room was open for lunch Brasserie 30 most days including port days.

They also had a poolside bbq on the sea day and a big pasta lunch on the Khasab day which was not advertised!!

The ship does not carry Omani currency.

Tip: I recommend loading xe.com onto your phone so you can quickly convert between the various currencies accepted in the souk. In Muscat they even were taking Euros.

Formal nights are Khasab and Abu Dhabi ( and not the sea day which is unusual ). Very high standard of dress with at least 65% of men in tuxedo!

Not able to see your balance on the cabin tv. Many trips to guest relations needed to ensure that my bill was kept in $$$ and not converted to £££ which was annoying.

First ship I have been on where the lift does not show the day of the week in the floor!

The ship is in excellent condition, the crew are very good, and food is to a good standard. They seem to be very relaxed, almost laid back. No hard sells of drinks packages and only a few announcements. It has a great atmosphere.

They offered the 10 drinks card for $70 on a few days.

We have not seen the Captain.

Khasab: not a lot here to be honest. A free shuttle bus takes you from the port to the fort and then on to the town. Totally underdeveloped and a taste of the real Oman. The little fort though is charming. $1.50pp entrance fee and they accept $$. For this you get a guide book, a map and a souvenir dvd!!!!.

Muscat: there was a horrid smell of gas from the refineries but this soon cleared. You have to take a little shuttle to the terminal, where you put your things through the X-ray and then you get back on the little bus that takes you to the port gates. Walking is not allowed inside the port.

It is a simple 10 minute stroll along the from to the souk. From the gate walk to your left, up to,the roundabout and then go loft along the sea front.

As we had been here before we wanted to see more of the interior so we had booked a private tour with Marktoursoman ..... And we had the same guide as 6 years ago. A long 8 hr day but great to see the forts and the spectacular mountain ranges.

That night we went out to dinner in Muscat, a little restaurant very close, It was just as the corniche started, big palm trees with lights, great food and free wifi!

Tip: do not buy a fridge magnet shaped like the dagger as they think you are bringing weapons onboard!

That night was White nights party which was a bit lame IMHO.

The top tier event was held in the aft decks as we sailed away from Muscat which was a stunning location. No speeches or any visible senior crew members there.

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by little britain

Hi,

Thanks for the review.

My wife and I are considering doing the same cruise sometime in the future but as I take that many tablets I rattle, I have tried to research if I would have a problem with some or any of them. Does anyone who reads this have any idea where I can find anything out.

Cheers

Pete

Just working in the next bit.....I know with importing tablets they are very strict.....anything with codeine is not allowed.

Next up: Abu Dhabi .....

So, the last time we were here the cab driver ripped us off! Although cabs are metered, with a modern digital display screen showing their photo and licence number; he had a little pop up box carefully placed over the area where the fare shows. So this time we were determined not to get caught out. Low and behold, we got into a cab at the terminal and the same thing....he wanted 150AED to take us to the Mosque. A fare that should be around 50AED. He refused to use the meter so we insisted he stopped and we got out. Hailed another cab which took us to the Mosque for 40AED! Don't be caught out.

The Mosque is amazing. There are FREE guided tours at 10, 11, 2, 5 and 7 on a Saturday. Tours last around an hour and you are given an audio headset. Ladies need to cover their heads, and wear long trousers and long sleeves, otherwise they will lend you an abaya. Men should wear trousers and long sleeves. Security are pretty hot in spotting those who do not conform. No touching, or putting your arms around each other whilst posing for photos either.

From there we took a cab to the Souk Qayrat Al Beri which has a nice outlook across the water over to the Mosque. A modern pretty little souk, we had a great Lebanese lunch washed down with a Lebanese beer. Taxi back to the port cost 45AED.

Free wifi in the port terminal and a few shops. No idea of prices but one lady was buying an iPhone there!

The ship was running free shuttles to the World Trade Centre mall, but these only seemed to go every hour.

Passports were taken from you on checkin at the hotel and returned to you the evening of Abu Dhabi , make sure you take a copy of the ID page beforehand. We had also been advised that you needed ID for the mosque but we were never asked. We took our driving licences just in case.

There were many more children on board than I expected.

There were also many nationalities, from Estonia to Brazil.

There is a steam room in the ladies locker room in the spa area. I assume that the gents have one too.

For those on deck 8 portside and aft don't forget the Secret Staircase that goes from opposite 8070 up to the Spa and the Solarium, and Park cafe. Very useful for that morning cuppa or for a sneaky drink whilst you change for dinner.

The Park Cafe served an expanded breakfast selection, including bacon and eggs: then lunch, scones and cream tea, and cookies and wraps. No need to eat anywhere else!

We never went to the theatre shows, and we only ate in the dining room twice.

To be honest, we were not expecting much from this ship: our recent travels have been on the big ships, but Splendour far exceeded our expectations. There was something we couldn't put our finger on, a nice ambiance, a relaxed atmosphere.....perhaps because she is being sold in a few months the crew are in wind down mode, but we loved this little cruise. If you are in a position to snap up one of her future sailings at the bargain prices they are currently at; I'd say jump at the opportunity.

Edited by little britain

I'm so glad you're enjoying yourselves! I think we may keep our eyes peeled for this itinerary next year. Your report has piqued our interest. I'm glad the atmosphere is pleasant and relaxing on board. Given the circumstances of the ship leaving the fleet soon, the crew could have had an indifferent or apathetic attitude. Kudos to the crew!!!

With regards to Khasab, I thoroughly recommend that you take a dhow trip. You will get a trip on an authentic dhow and the highlight of the trip will be close up sightings of Dolphins, which frequent the fjord like inlets. The scenery is beautiful.

I concur regarding the taxi drivers in Abu Dhabi, having lived there, we were well aware of the scam. If they try it on, refuse to pay the higher rate and take their number and walk off. Just pay what is reasonable, the earlier poster has given excellent advice about fares.

If visiting the Grand Mosque on a Friday, access will be restricted as is is the Holy Day.

e2052dbb7e6239ab258079012afdbe35.jpg

Unmistakable Dubai skyline

In Muscat it was hot, around 85, and they said it was unseasonably warm, khasab was high 70s, the sea day was very windy with choppy seas, Abu Dhabi was chilly, mid 60s and today in Dubai it is around 75

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

...They offered the 10 drinks card for $70 on a few days.

That's good to know.

I have read about the drinks cards on other ships. Splendour did not have these last October on the Greek isles itinerary.

With the price of cocktails $12+, $7 is a more reasonable price.

Were the cards prominently on sale?

Regarding the formal nights, thanks for the info. Abu Dhabi evening was 'Smart casual 50s and 60s' according to the cruise compass of an earlier cruise.

I was expecting more at the White Party with more of an Arabian theme.

Edited by icsys

With regards to Khasab, I thoroughly recommend that you take a dhow trip. You will get a trip on an authentic dhow and the highlight of the trip will be close up sightings of Dolphins, which frequent the fjord like inlets. The scenery is beautiful.

I concur regarding the taxi drivers in Abu Dhabi, having lived there, we were well aware of the scam. If they try it on, refuse to pay the higher rate and take their number and walk off. Just pay what is reasonable, the earlier poster has given excellent advice about fares.

If visiting the Grand Mosque on a Friday, access will be restricted as is is the Holy Day.

I've booked a Dhow cruise for Khasab during our visit. Did you swim off the back the Dhow and if so, were you allowed to wear ordinary swimming costumes or did you have to be more covered up? I'd be grateful for any information.

I've booked a Dhow cruise for Khasab during our visit. Did you swim off the back the Dhow and if so, were you allowed to wear ordinary swimming costumes or did you have to be more covered up? I'd be grateful for any information.

Hi there,

Yes you will be able to swim off the back of the dhow. They should have snorkelling equipment onboard as well. A normal swim costume will be fine. If I remember correctly, the sea bed was a little sharp, so if you have any swim shoes, they might be useful. We loved the trip we did and saw lots of Dolphins close up

We disembarked from deck 1. Our flight was at 10;05 but Rci had put us in a transfer at 6! We took a cab at 7:20 and we were at the airport by 7;45 so still in plenty of time. Cab cost 55AED ( there is a 20AED surcharge to leave the port).

Dubai at sunrise Monday February 1, 2016

ea88bdfbbb2bca0689db46719bda361a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

Thank you for your interesting review. I'm on Splendour next month and so feel very reassured that she is in good shape and that the crew are doing a good job. I sailed on Splendour around the Greek Islands a few years ago and had a wonderful time, love the smaller ships.This will be my 3rd Royal Caribbean cruise ex Dubai, love the Middle East and at this time of year it is a perfect cruise destination with blue skies and flat seas. Just hoping they open up a balcony guarantee category for single occupancy so that I can upgrade from an ocean view stateroom. The current cost for a single occupancy balcony cabin is £2090 which is outrageous considering all the wonderful offers that have been available for these cruises. Perhaps the Diamond + upgrade fairy will visit or at least call me with an upsell offer.

Thanks for the information about the dhow cruise in Khasab, sounds wonderful - must go and book it now!