Zoom Internet on Majesty or Enchantment

OK, so I know this push of "ZOOM" is supposedly the fastest at sea. From my research has shown that the Harmony of the Seas is fast enough to do wifi calling and streaming netflix and basically near home speeds. I've read that most of the other ships do not due to the technology - or lack there of.

So, my question is: How fast, reliable and good is the Internet on teh Majesty and Enchantment? I'm asking about the premium package (i forget the name of it).

Assuming not too many people on at the same time, you can still make wifi calls on the older technology ships.

I'm wanting to test the technology to see if it would let me work from a ship. From what i'm reading, the harmony has no issues even in high usage times. it would be nice to be able to make calls and work for a few hours each day. i know i know, its vacation. but if i can work from a ship, i can sail a few times a year instead of once.

I'm wanting to test the technology to see if it would let me work from a ship.

Just realize that feedback from others means little for your particular situation - number of users, sat issues, time of day, etc can all affect performance and can vary not only between ships but even on the same ship.

Just realize that feedback from others means little for your particular situation - number of users, sat issues, time of day, etc can all affect performance and can vary not only between ships but even on the same ship.

i always thought the same thing. but everything i'm reading about the harmony of the seas, everyone says that no matter the time of day or where in the sea they are or location on the ship and they all get super fast speeds.

i remember when satelite internet came out. super stupid slow and crazy expensive. my mind cant process it being fast at all. i usually sail carnival and the internet is BRUTAL!

^ it's not speed that you get with O3B (the ships without have generally the same speed - up to 5 Mbps down with Stream) but much lower latency - which really helps with overall performance. At home you should have less than 50ms ping times, on Harmony it'll be around 200ms, on ships without O3B it'll be over 600ms.

What does your work entail? On Enchantment I could check my work emails and get into some of my Salesforce dashboards, I could def do the basics but could not stream video. I could browse social media but opening up a PowerPoint took a while. I think VPNs are blocked as well. If your work isn’t graphic intensive I think you can get by alright

What does your work entail? On Enchantment I could check my work emails and get into some of my Salesforce dashboards, I could def do the basics but could not stream video. I could browse social media but opening up a PowerPoint took a while. I think VPNs are blocked as well. If your work isn’t graphic intensive I think you can get by alright

not graphic intensive. i run a trucking company so i need to be able to have access to emails constantly. i use some load boards i need to have access to and i really need to be able to make and receive calls somehow. not sure if this permits it or not, but sure would be nice.

not graphic intensive. i run a trucking company so i need to be able to have access to emails constantly. i use some load boards i need to have access to and i really need to be able to make and receive calls somehow. not sure if this permits it or not, but sure would be nice.

You should have very little problem making voice calls on Majesty.

via wifi?

Yes, if your phone is enabled for WiFi calling, that should work fine on Majesty. However, I've had some issues with that function on other ships. Calls getting disconnected or people telling me all they hear is static.

You brought up a great point. I'm wondering if VPN access is blocked on these ships. I'd need VPN access to work remote. I need to dig into this a little more.

Regarding cell service, check with your carrier. I took a brief look into this and got good information here but ultimately decided I did not need voice calling so didn't pursue it further. But sounds like may be an option for you OP.

Regarding cell service, check with your carrier. I took a brief look into this and got good information here but ultimately decided I did not need voice calling so didn't pursue it further. But sounds like may be an option for you OP.

yeah, we're not looking for cell service through the provider. that gets too expensive. looking for wifi strong enough to possibly call out. probably going to be a hit and miss thing id assume

I was able to read through a good amount of forums and found that working while cruising is common. Lol. Many were able to connect via VPN while on RCL. I noticed a lot of different responses. Many say don't expect over 3 to 4MB down speeds on larger ships like Oasis and Anthem. Honestly it sounds like there is no way to guarantee performance when using satellites oppose to fiber on land.

You brought up a great point. I'm wondering if VPN access is blocked on these ships. I'd need VPN access to work remote. I need to dig into this a little more.

I had very good luck with VPN working on Oasis in 2015 and a Vision TA in Fall 2016. This year not so much. Blocked on Oasis this past June and also on Jewel this past November. However, I was able to speak to the IT people on board Jewel and get it unblocked, at least for that cruise.

Bob,

Thanks for sharing. This is great info to have while deciding which ship to book. Working in finance using Cisco AnyConnect requires a secure connection to work remote and it looks like I may need to make a few IT friends on the Harmony class.

Thanks

Bob,

Thanks for sharing. This is great info to have while deciding which ship to book. Working in finance using Cisco AnyConnect requires a secure connection to work remote and it looks like I may need to make a few IT friends on the Harmony class.

Thanks

I started with Guest Services asking if I could speak to the IT manager. When I explained that I needed the connection for work, they offered to escalate to Miami, which took a couple of days.

I started with Guest Services asking if I could speak to the IT manager. When I explained that I needed the connection for work, they offered to escalate to Miami, which took a couple of days.

Excellent place to start. Thanks. I'll reach out to Guest Services.

+1.

I think you mentioned this earlier in the thread. Some VPN Protocols timeout due to the latency with satellite connections. The key is look for low latency. My LTE ping time is around 19ms, so 600ms is a noticeable difference. 600ms may be on a good day with clear sky's and a direct line of sight. 1200ms may be a cloudy day with bad Long/Lat coordinates. Lol