Earliest feasible flight time

We will be arriving on NCL Jade in Southampton on May 4th and want to fly to Dublin. We want to not be stressed about missing flights but we want to maximize our time in Dublin. Flybe has a flight at 10:15 and NCL shows disembarkation at 8 AM after a transatlantic. Would this be doable? Is Southampton a large airport that would take time to be processed through?

Thank You

Southampton is a small airport even by UK standards so once you get there it would be easy. However traffic around Southampton on a weekday is dreadful as we found to our cost recently. What time do you have to check in? And what if there was a delay getting into Southampton? We were delayed on QM2 for 2 hours at Southampton after a TA when the air-bridge failed.

But maybe I'm being over-cautious??

And what if there was a delay getting into Southampton?
That would be my big concern, too. I've too have had the experience of being several hours late back to Southampton, in our case for weather reasons.

I'd also be interested to know how reliable this cruise line is when it says "disembarkation" from 8 am.

May 4th is a Friday.

It's the start of a holiday weekend (Monday 7th is a national holiday). That shouldn't affect Friday morning's local commuter traffic, but might impact on Flybe's airfares since they're a no-frills airline with flexible pricing.

For most ships unassisted disembarkation is from about 7am & regular disembarkation from about 7.30.

With an 8am disembarkation you should make that flight without too much worry, though disembarking unassisted will get you ahead of the herd, will avoid potential lines for elevators, luggage pick-up & immigration (there's no line or delay at customs unless you get tugged), and for taxis.If you want to play ultra-safe you can pre-book a taxi with www.westquaycars.com

Fare about £18, probably a little cheaper than a taxi from the rank at the terminal.

From NCL's berth to the airport is 7 urban miles, about 15 minutes most of the time but allow 40 due to commuter traffic.

Southampton is a small regional one-terminal, one-hall, two-coffee-shop airport.

Departure lounges are immediately adjacent the hall, security is quick, and there are no long walks.

All the things that the big airports aren't :)

According to Flybe's website, Southampton to Dublin is treated as a "domestic" flight and latest check-in is 30 minutes before scheduled flight time.

https://www.flybe.com/charter/airport/

But I suggest you double-check that with Flybe, because for "international" flights it's a minimum 60 minutes before scheduled flight time. And the deadline is the deadline - one minute late & you'll be turned away.

The logistics from pier to take-off should total less than 90 minutes, so if you're in a taxi by 8.45 you'll be OK.

Your main concern will be a late arrival of the ship.

Usually ships berth is Southampton around 5am to 6am while passengers are still in the land of nod, so there's some leeway. And Southampton is an efficient & well-sheltered port.

But bad weather does sometimes slow a ship on the last leg of its cruise, & although late arrivals are unusual they do happen.

There's another Dublin flight at 2.35pm.

Your money, your risk, your choice.

JB :)

Thank you for the information. I feel much better about the morning flight. We have priority disembarkation so as long as the ship is on time we should be ok. Our port the day before is Portland so most likely we will be on time. I will contact flybe about checkin times(30 or 60 minutes).

Again—Thank You

Just thought of another question: Will we have to clear customs or do we just walk off? Have done transatlantic before where we just walked off the ship but that wasn't England.

Unless one of Her Majesty's finest steps out from the side to quiz you, you will probably pass thro' customs without even knowing. There's no line there, even at the busiest time.

I don't know whether you'll go thro' immigration, that might depend on your cruise start point and ports-of-call.

But since you'll be amongst the first to disembark there won't be a long line.

Yes, Portland is just about 60 nm along the coast and your captain has all night :)

JB :)