Formal optional

bemardc

We will be on the Mariner for a 22 night cruise in October. There will be 2 or 3 formal nights. I was on a similar cruise last September but can’t remember the percentage of people who go formal. We would prefer not to bring clothes that aren’t needed in order to keep our luggage lighter. Do most men wear a tux or black suit? An extra spirts jacket could be worn more often

We have been on numerous Regent cruises and have never worn a tie (black or otherwise). Will often wear a sports coat to dinner and have never felt out of place. There are a few men who wear black or white tie, military dress uniforms, and even kilts. Enjoy your cruise!

I suppose that different cruises have different results in terms of how many men dress "formal". I was taking into account the many men that wear suits - not tuxedos that I agree would be "a few". On every one of our 31 cruises, there were more men wearing a dress shirts with slacks, suit and tie or suit alone than wearing polo shirts and Docker type pants.

Formal Optional nights are not the only nights that men tend to wear jackets or suits -- a lot of passengers dress up for the Captain's Reception as well as when they go to specialty restaurants.

If you are comfortable not dressing up, it is fine - as long as you know that there are many people that will dress up.

Less and less men dress formal. However it does seem to vary by ship too. More seem to on the Explorer, less on the Navigator. Fewer wearing suit too. Now men's formal seem to mean just a sports coat and tie at best

J

That makes sense. Haven't been on the Navigator in a long time. My observations are basically from the Mariner and Explorer. It seems that European men dress up in suits and ties a lot more than people in North America. My DH does wear a sports coat with or without a tie but will bring his tuxedo for our Explorer cruise next February - just because he likes dressing up.

Will be on the Explorer Holiday cruise out of Capetown in December. I imagine there will be more dressed in formal wear than normal on Regent. For me, I will wear my mess dress for those designated nights (the military equivalent to a tuxedo).

As retired Military, I tend toward the more formal side of "Optional Formal". That is in line with our saying: When you are on-time (for a formation or meeting, or getting on a 'chopper), you are late!

That said: Recent experiences on Navigator, Mariner, and Explorer have been about 15-20% of the guys wear tuxes, me included. Those with a military background often include appropriate decorations on a tux. Gave my Mess Whites and Dress Blues away several years ago for use as props by a local musical theater group. And, yes, have seen the kilts. Quite a variety.

GOARMY!

As retired Military, I tend toward the more formal side of "Optional Formal". That is in line with our saying: When you are on-time (for a formation or meeting, or getting on a 'chopper), you are late!

That said: Recent experiences on Navigator, Mariner, and Explorer have been about 15-20% of the guys wear tuxes, me included. Those with a military background often include appropriate decorations on a tux. Gave my Mess Whites and Dress Blues away several years ago for use as props by a local musical theater group. And, yes, have seen the kilts. Quite a variety.

GOARMY!

I do the same with suits, on most cruises, but the family wants a holiday photo so packing the whole deal. Son in law is also bringing his.

Will also pack the tux, with decorations, for our March, 2020 Splendor cruise, during which we will celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary, with same involving a reconfirmation of vows ceremony with Captain, Cruise Director (CD), friends, and family. Want a "formal" picture of that occasion, to be coordinated with the CD.

Therefore, am staying in shape, so as to be able to fit into that tux.

GOARMY!

Will also pack the tux, with decorations, for our March, 2020 Splendor cruise, during which we will celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary, with same involving a reconfirmation of vows ceremony with Captain, Cruise Director (CD), friends, and family. Want a "formal" picture of that occasion, to be coordinated with the CD.

Therefore, am staying in shape, so as to be able to fit into that tux.

GOARMY!

That is such a special occasion! We are also looking forward to that cruise very much. Hoping that the officers will be the same as when the Explorer was launched. They would take excellent care of you and the ceremony!