First Time Cruisers....help

voyagermarquis

My partner and I are nervous about booking our first cruise away. We are going for his 50th B'day next year so we want it to be special. He is a very active and loves his scuba diving and gym so we've been looking at a cruise on the Pacific Dawn next June 2009 for 28 days around the South Pacific from Sydney to Tahiti. We are pretty casual people and enjoy movies, dining out but like to have things to do. My questions are:

1. Is this the right boat to be looking at for our first cruise?

2. Is 28 days to long on this boat?

3. Have you any advice on cabins?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks:)

On our first cruise, we didn't really know what to expect, and 7 days was almost too long. I would think 28 days is a long time when you've never cruised before. There might be something about it that you don't like--who knows? I would take a short one first, even a 3-4 day just to see if it's the kind of thing you would want to do for a month.

If you are interested in the longer cruises, a 3-4 nighter will not compare to even a 7 night. Our first cruise was a 12 night for a partial transit of the Panama Canal. It worked out great, especially since every other day was a sea day (to recoup from excursions).

I took a 10 day last year & thought it was too long. But then I reconsidered & decided that maybe I just missed my honey so I took him with me on an 11 day. By day 8 I still wanted off the ship.

If you are serious about this long cruise, I would advise you to do at least a short-y beforehand just to make sure you can deal with the small cabin, the food, the other passangers (not the individual people who will obviously change, but their proximity), & the motion of the ship. If you get seasick you will be miserable for a month.

Whatever you do, have fun & happy birthday to your SO.

I would love 28 days aboard a ship, but for many, that would be too long. And everyone's different. I don't know if I'd book a 28 day cruise for a first cruise though.

I agree with GORDONCHICK. We'd be very happy with 28 days aboard a ship (we'd also be very happy with 60 days :) !), but for a first cruise I don't think so. What if you really don't like cruising? There are some people who don't :eek: !

Please try a shorter cruise (7 days would be best) first. If you find that you have to be dragged off the ship kicking and screaming you'll probably be OK with 28 days :D !

If you decide to take this cruise and $$ is not a major concern, I'd suggest you book at least a balcony cabin. Even the best of friends, partners or spouses need some space to "get away", even on a 7 day cruise ;) .

My partner and I are nervous about booking our first cruise away. We are going for his 50th B'day next year so we want it to be special. He is a very active and loves his scuba diving and gym so we've been looking at a cruise on the Pacific Dawn next June 2009 for 28 days around the South Pacific from Sydney to Tahiti. We are pretty casual people and enjoy movies, dining out but like to have things to do. My questions are:

1. Is this the right boat to be looking at for our first cruise?

2. Is 28 days to long on this boat?

3. Have you any advice on cabins?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks:)

28 days is too long for your first cruise. Get a shorter one under your belt and if at the end you don't want to get off, then 28 might be your thing.

I could do 28 easy, but I have been on 34.

Aft cabins are wonderful for viewing from your balcony, but it is a long walk everytime you leave the cabin to the elevators. If you are doing an Alaskan, Fjords of Norway, Chilean fjords or Panama Canal and aft would be best. Any others probably closer to the elevators. Of course the exercise is needed on the ship so we like the aft cabins except the Voyager of the Seas which had an obstructed view aft.

A whole month on a ship???? After a 10 day cruise (and I LOVE to cruise), I was ready to head home. Sometimes, you CAN have too much of a good thing!

If you routinely take long vacations, you'll probably do just fine and love it! It's just a bit long for me!

Archived