Power cords allowed?

mosiegirl

1436320806256456874.jpg

Are these types of power cords allowed? or would it be confiscated?

I use that at home and it is not allowed on board since it has surge protection.

I doubt if it will be confiscated since staff who does inspection would not even know which one has surge protection.

I just refrain from bringing it onboard based on trust of ship's knowledge that it is a fire hazard and I would not risk being on one in the middle of the seas.

Yep,,,I think I posted this before, but I found a power strip, with short cable, and no surge protection at Wal-Mart for 98 cents! Works perfectly for the ships, and meets their request for no surge protection. Also, very easy on the pocket book. LOL

"SKY"

we also use a cheap one from walmart, no issues and damn glad we brought one, Second only to the battery operated fan and a small nightlight as a must have.

Does it HAVE to be a battery operated fan? I ask because i had planned on taking a small plug in fan. I know we can't leave it plugged in, i just want to use at night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Forums mobile app

you might always bring it and it might be highly recommended for people that cruise but its against the rules and dangerous on cruises and you should no longer bring it

360 Electrical 36053 Power Curve Mobile Surge Protector with Rotating Outlet and USB Ports

• 360 degree rotating outlets for flexibility with giant plugs - just fully insert the plug and turn to fit
  • Two USB outlets to charge smartphones, iPods, iPads, tablets, etc. with 5V and 10W total output
  • Advanced surge protection of 306 Joules and a maximum spike current of 36000A
  • Green grounded light lets you know if the outlet you're using is grounded, blue light indicates that your device is properly protected
  • Easy fold plug lays flat for travel convenience and no bulk in a backpack, briefcase or carry-on

Does it have USB plugs too?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While most multi-USB chargers have two prong plugs, and are therefore not surge suppressors, the problem comes when you combine USB with line voltage outlets, as these nearly all tend to be surge protected. My suggestion is to bring a cheap power strip as noted above, and a multi-USB charger to plug into it.

Can someone post a photo of an acceptable power cord. I went to Lowe's and told the guy I was cruising and could not have anything with a surge protector. He acted like he didn't understand what I was talking about.

Can someone post a photo of an acceptable power cord. I went to Lowe's and told the guy I was cruising and could not have anything with a surge protector. He acted like he didn't understand what I was talking about.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-6-Outlet-Power-Strip-Built-in-Circuit-Breaker/50211131

Depending on the ship, don't be surprised if the screeners disagree with all of this about power strips. I had an email from Carnival Guest services indicating that a power strip without surge protection in newer, good condition was acceptable. I had one, still in its packaging, and was not allowed to bring it onboard the Paradise when it was in Tampa several years ago. Apparently the head engineer onboard the ship told the screeners not to let any onto the ship because he was concerned about the electrical situation onboard (WHAT!!!!?????)

What really ticked me off was that they completely ignored the letter from Carnival, then added insult to injury by telling me they were just going to throw it away, even though it was brand new! It wasn't a dollar at Walmart either! It cost me close to $10 because I couldn't find one that didn't have surge protection without paying that much. (I didn't even think to look at Walmart or Target).

Anyway I guess I made enough of a fuss, because at least they gave it back to me when I debarked the ship.

Ouch. That's somewhat scary. I'll need a multi-pronged power strip because I use a CPAP machine. Plus I need to charge electrical devices.

Or am I in a situation that I can request a cord from the ship? Due to the CPAP?

Ouch. That's somewhat scary. I'll need a multi-pronged power strip because I use a CPAP machine. Plus I need to charge electrical devices.

Or am I in a situation that I can request a cord from the ship? Due to the CPAP?

Yes you can request a power cord from the ship.

If you're on the newer ships, I've never heard of anyone having an issue bringing a non-surge protector onboard with them. I had heard of several people having issues on the Paradise before I sailed which is why I went to such lengths to make sure I was compliant.

But this was 10 years ago, and I've heard most people say that if they're compliant, you're okay. I think perhaps the ship's engineer was overreacting at the time, and they have since decided to follow their own rules.

Despite that experience, I've still brought a power strip with me on each cruise without incident, other than that once time.