Are Hawaiian Shirts the new evening wear?

Alushar

Just back off Silhouette Baltic cruise and couldn’t believe the number of Hawaiian shirts being worn in the evening including formal oops I mean evening chic nights! Did I miss the memo? I’m off shopping tomorrow!

But, but, but, it's THEIR vacatinv, so they can wear whatever they want, no matter how appropriate it is to the situation. Just ask them. ��

Maybe it's just me, but I kinda think that a $145 Tommy Bahama's shirt on a guy is pretty chic. And appropriate for chic night.

LOL - does seem a little odd for this cruise itinerary. Hope you had a grand time otherwise because the Baltic cruise is awesome.

Was a superb trip would do it again tomorrow!

Agree some did look great some less so ;)

Maybe it's just me, but I kinda think that a $145 Tommy Bahama's shirt on a guy is pretty chic. And appropriate for chic night.

Price makes it chic? Leave the price tag hanging out and all is good. The $200 designer jeans with all the tears and holes in it chic too? Rag material to some.

On one of the very first chic nights, a woman was sitting at a bar on the Summit wearing a Peyton Manning football jersey with a big number 18 on it. A pair of white shorts and sandals completed her outfit. She was not at a football game. Therefore, her attire was inappropriate and it was an insult to other guests. It was NOT "chic" in any way. What she paid for that shirt is irrelevant. Nothing is a matter of "The price makes everything right."

On one of the very first chic nights, a woman was sitting at a bar on the Summit wearing a Peyton Manning football jersey with a big number 18 on it. A pair of white shorts and sandals completed her outfit. She was not at a football game. Therefore, her attire was inappropriate and it was an insult to other guests. It was NOT "chic" in any way. What she paid for that shirt is irrelevant. Nothing is a matter of "The price makes everything right."

But she was sitting at a bar! After dinner whether chic night or not my husband usually changes into something more comfortable like shorts and a T-shirt. Nobody has ever given him a dirty look. Sometimes I see people sitting at the martini bar in a bathing suit cover up when we are there before dinner. I guess they like to have a martini before they get ready for their late seating dinner. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I see nothing wrong with it....jmo...

Yikes!! I usually just read these threads and smile.

On previous formal nights, my husband would be found in a tux, with me in a long dress.

Things have changed. Even on European cruises. With the luggage weight limits and a more casual world, our outfits are a lot less dressy. My husband looks very nice in a pair of black dress pants and a plain (no flowers) 'tommy bahama' type shirt. Looks very 'chic'. And easy to pack and can be worn the next day with a pair of jeans/shorts.

I have to say we were on a cruise many years ago and my Pittsburgh Steelers Football team was in the Super Bowl. The game was on our formal night. I wore a long black skirt, black heels, my pearls, and a Steeler Jersey. To each his own, lets just all have fun!

But she was sitting at a bar! After dinner whether chic night or not my husband usually changes into something more comfortable like shorts and a T-shirt. Nobody has ever given him a dirty look. Sometimes I see people sitting at the martini bar in a bathing suit cover up when we are there before dinner. I guess they like to have a martini before they get ready for their late seating dinner. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I see nothing wrong with it....jmo...

M.m.m....as far as I recall Celebrity used to call it "Formal Night" and I believe that it is now called "Chic Night". Yes the word "night" is in each of these. I believe that means you remain "dressed" in the appropriate clothing for the full night.

I've never seen anyone at the Martini Bar in a bathing suit cover-up prior to dinner. If so, this is definitely not in accordance with dress rules. Bathing attire/cover-ups are not suitable for the Martini Bar. Does this mean that the person dressed like this is entering the dining room? I find this inappropriate too; no matter what the cost of the bathing suit cover up was.

I believe the previous poster (Dornim) was alluding to the fact that the cost of the football jersey, Hawaiian shirts or any apparel is irrelevant. I think you may have missed the point of that post.

Just my two cents worth.

M.m.m....as far as I recall Celebrity used to call it "Formal Night" and I believe that it is now called "Chic Night". Yes the word "night" is in each of these. I believe that means you remain "dressed" in the appropriate clothing for the full night.

I've never seen anyone at the Martini Bar in a bathing suit cover-up prior to dinner. If so, this is definitely not in accordance with dress rules. Bathing attire/cover-ups are not suitable for the Martini Bar. Does this mean that the person dressed like this is entering the dining room? I find this inappropriate too; no matter what the cost of the bathing suit cover up was.

I believe the previous poster (Dornim) was alluding to the fact that the cost of the football jersey, Hawaiian shirts or any apparel is irrelevant. I think you may have missed the point of that post.

Just my two cents worth.

She came to the martini bar straight from the pool with a few friends. They had a couple of martinis and then went to their cabin to get ready for dinner. This was a nightly occurrence.

I guess we see chic night...or any other night...as how one should dress for dinner. Shorts can be worn to the buffet for dinner so does that mean one can’t dress like that for the buffet on chic night?

Just back off Silhouette Baltic cruise and couldn’t believe the number of Hawaiian shirts being worn in the evening including formal oops I mean evening chic nights! Did I miss the memo? I’m off shopping tomorrow!

Tommy Bahama has nice shirts!

She came to the martini bar straight from the pool with a few friends. They had a couple of martinis and then went to their cabin to get ready for dinner. This was a nightly occurrence.

I guess we see chic night...or any other night...as how one should dress for dinner. Shorts can be worn to the buffet for dinner so does that mean one can’t dress like that for the buffet on chic night?

You are dragging the thread off topic. The OP was only referencing the MDR, not the Martini Bar, the buffet, or anywhere else. And they were referring to the incongruity of seeing Hawaiian shirts (regardless of their brand name or price tag) on a Baltic cruise. No different than showing up for a luau dressed in your favorite Christmas sweater. No dress code has been violated, but don't be surprised if you get a few sideways glances.

I have noticed a big increase in men wearing Hawaiian shirts on cruises. I seldom see them anywhere on land. Could it be that it is the new chic night attire? Or is it the only place where men feel comfortable wearing shirts with brightly colored flowers?

DH and I always dress to fit the guidelines and to please each other. I really don't concern myself with what my fellow cruisers wear. It doesn't impact or concern me in the least. I really haven't come across many folks that don't make the effort to abide by the rules, either in days gone by or now. IMHO, if someone doesn't care for the dress guidelines of a cruise company there are enough choices out there that they can find one to suit (pun semi-intended;)) their preferences. We really don't care what Mr. & Mrs. Joe Schmo that we don't know and will likely never see again wear to dinner.

Just my two cents worth.

Here is what the dress code says:

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

DH and I always dress to fit the guidelines and to please each other. I really don't concern myself with what my fellow cruisers wear. It doesn't impact or concern me in the least. I really haven't come across many folks that don't make the effort to abide by the rules, either in days gone by or now. IMHO, if someone doesn't care for the dress guidelines of a cruise company there are enough choices out there that they can find one to suit (pun semi-intended;)) their preferences. We really don't care what Mr. & Mrs. Joe Schmo that we don't know and will likely never see again wear to dinner.

Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH has worn silk Tommy Bahama shirts with nice khakis on informal nights for the last 10 years. He wears mostly the black and dark navy ones at night. We do a lot of Caribbean cruises being from Florida, but he has worn them on TAs and Alaska cruises. He always wore a jacket on formal night, but with the change from formal to chic, he now wears them for every night and is a very happy camper doing it. Personally we could care less about what others wear.

Mary Ann