Thinking of sailing Regatta to Alaska and new to Oceania

Vineyard View

We have sailed a number of times on various lines. So far Viking is our favorite. That said, we keep reading about Oceania quality and experience.

We are looking at a 14 day Alaska itinerary on the Regatta. I would most likely be looking at entry level balcony on deck 6. The concierge level looks attractive but the price difference has me hesitant.

There are a lot of Alkaline options with various lines.

I would appreciate some feedback, my first hand, on Regatta as well as this ship in Alaska. I would also appreciate input on this level balcony stateroom.

Thank you

Cabins A to C are all basically the same size some exceptions apply

A & B have balconies

"A" cabins have some perks added so higher prices

plus Location location location also command a higher price point

perks

bottle of Champagne,

3 free bags of Laundry(see the fine print)

4 free pressings

hot room service breakfasts

early specialty restaurant booking

early boarding

access to the spa terrace

Just depends on your personal choice

Edited by LHT28

We have sailed a number of times on various lines. So far Viking is our favorite. That said, we keep reading about Oceania quality and experience.

We are looking at a 14 day Alaska itinerary on the Regatta. I would most likely be looking at entry level balcony on deck 6. The concierge level looks attractive but the price difference has me hesitant.

I would appreciate some feedback, my first hand, on Regatta as well as this ship in Alaska. I would also appreciate input on this level balcony stateroom.

Thank you

As an overview for a first timer in a mid level cabin, I would suggest that if you are looking for a solid base to see Alaska, and by that I mean greatly superior food, service, and bedding, along with the easy on/off of a 650 passenger ship then I would suggest Oceania.

If you're interested in typical cruise type entertainment and/or multiple 'on the ship' activities, then I would go with the larger ship.

It depends on whether your focus is on Alaska or the cruise experience.

If the former, Princess and HAL are the best choices for Alaska cruises for a number of reasons. If the latter, your experience on Oceania will (or should) surpass that of the other 2 lines.

It depends on whether your focus is on Alaska or the cruise experience.

If the former, Princess and HAL are the best choices for Alaska cruises for a number of reasons. If the latter, your experience on Oceania will (or should) surpass that of the other 2 lines.

Frankly Paul, despite the acres of publicity devoted to their "Alaska Experience" vis a vis HAL and Princess, I found their offerings to be one step up from Boy Scout Camp.

Hoards of people incessantly lining up for the next proscribed activity from dawn until dusk.

Loved Alaska, hated feeling like a lemming.

C3G6zV1WEAIR5Sw.jpg

The point I was trying to make is that Princess and HAL are the only ones offering a combination of cruise and land tours which some people may be interested in as they offer a more detailed experience in Alaska than the cruise only.

Apparently Cruise Critic also thinks that these 2 lines are leaders in cruising to Alaska:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2144

USA Today also compared Princess & HAL in Alaska without mentioning any other line:

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/alaska-cruises-princess-vs-holland-america-103300.html

Alaska cruise direct also discusses these 2 lines only:

https://www.alaskacruisesdirect.com/lets-debate-holland-america-vs-princess-cruises-in-alaska.html

Someone may correct me but I believe that these 2 lines have access to more areas in Alaska than other lines due to their “grandfathered” status.

That said, there is no doubt that the ship experience itself on Oceania is more relaxed and luxurious than on Princess.

Thank you

We have just returned from a 10-day Alaskan cruise on Regatta. I have been to Alaska on 7 other cruises, various lines, and I really don't feel that the Alaskan Experience was much better on the Regatta than it was on the other lines. Actually, I had better lecturers on Holland America and Princess.

The ship experience is better as it is a small (old) ship that is in reasonably good shape. The food is better than on the "mainline" ships.

That being said, we have also cruised on Viking Ocean and if you like that I'm not sure that the Regatta will appeal. On the Regatta - regular balcony room - the bathrooms are extremely small. The cabin is also quite small. Cabin-wise, Viking is so much better.

One other thing, I noticed that Holland America almost always had the best dock space. Probably because they (and Princess) have been going to Alaska the longest.

You will have to decide what factors are important to you.

Mary Lou

Thank you all for this feedback. We have sailed on Princess and HAL - not interested in the size of Princess ships for Alaska. We sailed them to Alaska a number of years ago and it’s just too many people for us. HAL has some smaller ships that are okay and we would sail on again. Yes, we like Viking a lot. Their sailings to Alaska are sold out and their cabins are the nicest by far.

I did notice that the Regatta is scheduled for a complete makeover that will be unveiled next September, so it does make me wonder the condition of the ship now.

We are not interested in the whole land-sea Alaska experience. Friends did that with Princess, and felt like they were in a cattle herd on the land portion! We would actually enjoy taking time to do our own land touring independently. So our other option we are considering is to take a one way Alaska cruise, then tour via train/car for a bit, and fly home.

I did notice that the Regatta is scheduled for a complete makeover that will be unveiled next September, so it does make me wonder the condition of the ship now.

They are doing an update of the decor on ALL the small ships

check the video

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/insignia/

Viking have larger ships than the Regatta so the cabin sizes will still be smaller than VO

Also Viking ships are newer so have a more modern feel

Many people, especially those who are new to Oceania, seem to assume that because the ship is going into drydock (or being updated) "soon" that therefore the ship is shabby now.

Oceania sends all ships to drydock regularly (every three years now?) and the ships are beautifully maintained. Someone may not like the size of the cabins (other than the top suites) -- yes, they are smaller than what newer ships provide. It's up to you to decide how important that is to YOU.

But I've been on the "R" ships shortly before they were due for drydock and didn't have problems with their appearance or functionality.

Mura

Our experience on the Regatta has been different. Although the information we received indicated we would be docked at each port with no tendering. The docks that were designed to accommodate the larger ships did not work well for the smaller Regatta. Twice we had to tender as they could not put the passenger ramp out due to the extreme tides for couple hours at two ports, once delaying excursions.

Another consideration is that there is only unobstructed forward viewing for 6-8 people at a time which is only available to concierge passengers. Anything else and you're looking through glass when looking towards the bow.

I also find it enhances the Alaska experience when there is a good naturalist onboard such as Princess and Hal does. On our trip there was a lecturer who provided rote information on Alaska. We were getting close to a known humpback feeding area and I asked him about what time we'd be passing through. He had no idea about the feeding area. The naturalists we've seen on our Alaska trips knew about these areas and advised anyone interesting in knowing all the details and approximate time we'd be in the area.

Princess and Hal do an excellent job in Alaska but I agree the ships are too big. For us, the Regatta isn't an option either. Of the lines we've done in Alaska, the small ship line UnCruise is superior.

Hey VV,

> not interested in the size of Princess ships for Alaska. We sailed them to Alaska a number of years ago and it’s just too many people for us...

Have you looked at the Pacific Princess? She is also an R ship.

Ira

We’ve been to Alaska quite a few times, including once on the Regatta.

Oceania offers better food, service and comfort levels than Viking. Viking has larger cabins, all with verandas and the included excursion. Have not done Viking Alaska, not sure what their included excursion will be. In general we don’t care for ship tours.

If it were my one and only trip to Alaska, I would choose Princess for Glacier Bay and the cruise tour lodges.

Otherwise, Oceania is our go to choice, regardless of destination. We’ve done several Regatta cruises and things were ship shape and pretty wonderful.

We’ve had B1 cabins on the sixth floor, great location on a cozy sized ship.

If I'm remembering correctly :D I think I read some time ago that there are FOUR lines that have access to Glacier Bay, etc. That's why Oceania (and I assume some other lines) have chosen other glacier stops.

We were at Glacier Bay on Princess in 1990 and I don't remember being any more enthralled that I have been at other glacier stops. That was the ONLY Alaska cruise we took so I'm NOT saying that any glacier equals Glacier Bay. BUT ... we've been to many glacier itineraries: Norway, Alaska, Chile, and some others I'm forgetting. I wouldn't make a stop at Glacier Bay the be-all-and-end-all.

OTOH, combining the cruise that goes there with land stops would be a plus for me.

We were going to do Alaska on Regatta in 2011 but Oceania lured us to the Med on Marina: same price but in a Vista as opposed to a PH. The price for the Vista (if paid for, which we didn't) was double the price for the PH. And we wanted to try Marina, which was new at the time, so for us it was a no-brainer. I just say this to make sure you all know that WE have not done Alaska on Oceania ... but we wouldn't hesitate to do so. It just hasn't come up again!

Mura

I was on the Regatta two years ago to Alaska and will go again in 2019. The 14 day itinerary in August looks great. Last time we went to Hubbard Glacier and saw magnificent calving, the scenery was at least as good as I recall Glacier Bay being years ago. Love the size of the ship and the dining. Be aware that some cruises do have a kids program. Last time there were 19 kids (over July 4), generally occupied on sea days in a special kids program. Included my 2 grandsons, who loved it. In 2019 traveling with my sister.

I did concierge in August this year, NYC to Bermuda and back. Not really worth it but one of the grandkids got free so ok. Only thing I really liked was the laundry service and would probably pay for that on any cruise that offered the per bag fee. Switched the champagne for red wine, which was decent, but I'm not picky. Tried the spa deck and kind of a waste, not many places to sit, most were taken. Only $25 per day if you really want it, not likely to be important except maybe on a sea day if the weather is nice. Extra specialty dining was nice but not critical. The twin boys loved Toscana, even the picky one who thought the swordfish was the best meal. I generally get an inside cabin but the centrally located deck 7 cabin with a balcony was nice on the Bermuda cruise, not likely to be as important in Alaska due to weather and the likelihood that the really cool sight that day will be on the other side of the ship.

Mary

Is it Glacier Bay that only Princess & HAL have access to?

These two cruise lines control most of the Glacier Bay permits. A huge advantage.

Princess built and owns its own wilderness lodges and their cruise tours offer unbeatable access to areas a little off the beaten path. We were very impressed with their Alaska packages. Their onboard Alaska program is pretty good too as local speakers, entertainers, authors come aboard to offer glimpses into the culture.

Mary, our experience was that they would no longer switch out the champagne for a red or wine ... has that changed? I'm going back a few years.

We used to regularly switch it out (even if the wine wasn't comparable to the champagne in terms of quality, it certainly was more than adequate). But then they told us we couldn't. Period,.

What we usually have done is take the champagne to dinner and share it with whomever is at our table. Sometimes we've arranged to share ahead of time, sometimes we are just sharing with the other couple in line.

We're not big champagne drinkers so we certainly wouldn't finish off the bottle ourselves!

Mura

As of August 4, 2018 on the NYC-Bermuda cruise, they switched the champagne out for a bottle of red wine at my request, no problem. I took it to dinner and was not charged a corkage fee.

Mary

They do not charge a corkage fee if it was a gift from the ship

They charge the fee when you bring wine you bought ashore to the dining venues

Mary, our experience was that they would no longer switch out the champagne for a red or wine ... has that changed? I'm going back a few years.

Mura

I think they changed it back last year but in Dec I did not know you could exchange it so we just left the Champagne in the cabin