NYC Breakaway

neilkear

Does any one know if The Breakaway has one pier in Manhattan it always uses or could it be pier 88 or 90 depending on the whim of the persons in charge. Probably a stupid question but that's what you get from a newbie. :D

Does any one know if The Breakaway has one pier in Manhattan it always uses or could it be pier 88 or 90 depending on the whim of the persons in charge. Probably a stupid question but that's what you get from a newbie. :D

Breakaway always uses 88. They had to buy and install new gangways at 88 to accommodate the ship when it first started cruising from NY.

In reality it wouldn't matter whether it used 88 or 90 . The piers are next to each other at 48th and 50th streets respectively and there's only a single motor vehicle entrance to the cruise terminal, located at 12th Ave and 55th St. so it's impossible to get lost.

Thank you for the quick response njhorseman. I too am in NJ and will be driving myself to the pier when the time comes. I wanted to know because I didn't want to turn onto the wrong rooftop parking area. I know you said it's impossible to get lost, but then you don't know me! LOL

We are also sailing out of Pier 88 in October 2018 on the Disney Magic. When DH was healthy we would either take train or drive in. Now that he has mobility issues we are having family members drop us off on a Saturday Oct 13th, and pick us up on a Friday Oct 19th. Can passengers be dropped off and picked up on the upper level. Last year on the repositioning cruise we were dropped off on ground level and had to take the elevator up. Are the signs clear when you drive up the ramp for passenger drop off and pick up.

We are also sailing out of Pier 88 in October 2018 on the Disney Magic. When DH was healthy we would either take train or drive in. Now that he has mobility issues we are having family members drop us off on a Saturday Oct 13th, and pick us up on a Friday Oct 19th. Can passengers be dropped off and picked up on the upper level. Last year on the repositioning cruise we were dropped off on ground level and had to take the elevator up. Are the signs clear when you drive up the ramp for passenger drop off and pick up.

You can definitely be dropped off on the second level. The ramp to drive up to that level is very clearly marked when you enter the cruise terminal at the motor vehicle entrance at 55th St and 12th Ave.

Being picked up on the second level is another question altogether. First, you're going to have to pick up your luggage and clear customs and immigration on the ground level. You would then have to take the elevator back to the second level. Second, depending on traffic and the whims of those directing vehicle flow at the cruise terminal pick ups by private vehicles and car services are frequently not permitted within the cruise terminal complex itself, and disembarking passengers are often forced to cross 12th Ave. to be picked up on the other side of the street. Unfortunately it's not possible to predict how they're going to direct traffic on any particular day. I'd suggest you use a porter to assist you with your luggage. A good one will know where you can be picked up on that day. You could then call the person who will be picking you up and tell them where you are. They can wait on a side street not far from the terminal and then proceed to pick you up when call with your location.

You can definitely be dropped off on the second level. The ramp to drive up to that level is very clearly marked when you enter the cruise terminal at the motor vehicle entrance at 55th St and 12th Ave.

Being picked up on the second level is another question altogether. First, you're going to have to pick up your luggage and clear customs and immigration on the ground level. You would then have to take the elevator back to the second level. Second, depending on traffic and the whims of those directing vehicle flow at the cruise terminal pick ups by private vehicles and car services are frequently not permitted within the cruise terminal complex itself, and disembarking passengers are often forced to cross 12th Ave. to be picked up on the other side of the street. Unfortunately it's not possible to predict how they're going to direct traffic on any particular day. I'd suggest you use a porter to assist you with your luggage. A good one will know where you can be picked up on that day. You could then call the person who will be picking you up and tell them where you are. They can wait on a side street not far from the terminal and then proceed to pick you up when call with your location.

Thanks we will work with our family member. I am familiar with walking across 12th Ave to get a taxi so as long as my family member can drop us off up the ramp we will take your suggestions. The Magic is the only ship in port on the Friday we return. its only a 6 night cruise Sat to Fri.

Edited by shellyc
return info

Thanks we will work with our family member. I am familiar with walking across 12th Ave to get a taxi so as long as my family member can drop us off up the ramp we will take your suggestions. The Magic is the only ship in port on the Friday we return. its only a 6 night cruise Sat to Fri.

As was mentioned, it doesn't make much difference, only being two blocks apart, but don't be surprised if the Magic uses Pier 90.

When you depart, there will be a couple of other ships in port, They usually try to use the same pier for departure and then arrival back, to make it more convenient for those parking their cars on the rooftop lots...

As was mentioned, it doesn't make much difference, only being two blocks apart, but don't be surprised if the Magic uses Pier 90.

When you depart, there will be a couple of other ships in port, They usually try to use the same pier for departure and then arrival back, to make it more convenient for those parking their cars on the rooftop lots...

I have been on one cruise that departed from 88 but returned to 90, so it does happen. Typically it would be an NCL cruise because they normally depart from 88 if its available, but upon our return Breakaway was at 88 so we ended up at 90 on the Gem...and we and everyone else parked at the pier had to trudge over to 88 to get to our cars.

The two other ships in port on Oct. 13th are Aida ships making multiple day port calls so I think it's far more likely they will be at 90, or even one at 92 with Disney Magic at 88. On all of Disney Magic's embarkation/disembarkation days they are the only ship in port disembarking and embarking passengers with some other ships making port calls on some of the days. That makes it highly likely they will be using 88 for all their cruises as there will be no NCL ships in port those days competing for the use of 88.

Edited by njhorseman

Thank you for the quick response njhorseman. I too am in NJ and will be driving myself to the pier when the time comes. I wanted to know because I didn't want to turn onto the wrong rooftop parking area. I know you said it's impossible to get lost, but then you don't know me! LOL

No worries. They direct the traffic with precision when you arrive. If there are two ships they will ask you which one you are taking and send you to the parking for that ship. You typically pay for parking at Pier 90, and for ships at 88 you do a quick turn back out of the 90 lot and continue down to 88 to get dog sniffed and park. Don't put away your parking receipts you must show them to the attendant at pier 88.

I know this is a Breakaway thread but Pier 88/90 related. I think we are going to drive in from NJ day of cruise and pay the $40 per day to park at the pier. DH is mobility challenged and we ordered an ECV for the ship. He can walk from the parking deck to check-in and will get a temporary wheelchair if we need to.

I saw this question on another thread, but cant find it. For ease of getting from NJ to NYC on a Saturday is it better to take the

GWB and go south, or take the Lincoln Tunnel and go to 12th ave. Two seniors wanting to avoid the crazy taxi drivers.

Short answer for driving to MCT Pier 88/90 from NJ - take the GW Bridge, keep right from upper level for 1st. exit or keep left if using EZ-Pass only lower level crossing hte Hudson, for 1st. exit to go south on the parkway direct to the cruise terminal.

You can find detailed instructions & guides over at the East Coast forum here on CC. This thread is more than tips about parking - click.

I know this is a Breakaway thread but Pier 88/90 related. I think we are going to drive in from NJ day of cruise and pay the $40 per day to park at the pier. DH is mobility challenged and we ordered an ECV for the ship. He can walk from the parking deck to check-in and will get a temporary wheelchair if we need to.

I saw this question on another thread, but cant find it. For ease of getting from NJ to NYC on a Saturday is it better to take the

GWB and go south, or take the Lincoln Tunnel and go to 12th ave. Two seniors wanting to avoid the crazy taxi drivers.

I drive to the pier from Central NJ and I use the Lincoln Tunnel, which is the shortest and fastest route. I've only used the longer GWB route when there's a traffic issue with the Lincoln Tunnel or its approach roads that would impose a sufficient delay resulting in the GWB route being faster. I make my determination by listening to AM stations 880 CBS and 1010 WINS both of which have traffic reports every 10 minutes, on the 8's and on the 1's, respectively.

The drive from the Lincoln Tunnel to the cruise terminal is short enough that I'm not bothered by the city traffic.

On a Saturday, and if it's early enough before matinee time, you should be fine with the tunnel. We've parked at the pier and there's plenty of handicapped parking (if you have a placard) so hopefully your DH won't have to walk too far.

We were on the Gem last year and it left from 88 and returned to 90 (or vice versa). I only realized it when I went to get my car and it wasn't there and saw others walking to the other pier. It was a couple of minute walk, no big deal.

We were on the Gem last year and it left from 88 and returned to 90 (or vice versa). I only realized it when I went to get my car and it wasn't there and saw others walking to the other pier. It was a couple of minute walk, no big deal.

Same here, it was pretty funny, and not a far walk.

Same here, it was pretty funny, and not a far walk.

It happens, Breakaway class ships can only use 88 due to the special gangways to reach their embarkation deck.

Carnival does it too, if they are the only ship calling that day you might live/arrive from 88 instead of 90, has happened to me a few times with the car parked at the other pier.

On a Saturday, and if it's early enough before matinee time, you should be fine with the tunnel. We've parked at the pier and there's plenty of handicapped parking (if you have a placard) so hopefully your DH won't have to walk too far.

Thank you we have a placard.....

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to be picked up on the 2nd level it is totally doable

Just tell your ride to pick you at the upper level drop off area or grab a cab that just dropped someone off

We do this all the time

Sent from my iPad using Forums