Sad Viking Tale

Topspin44

Coral, yes if they have a dedicated visa agency then the agency can provide the invitation. In my case we had a dedicated visa agency but our cruise line sent us the invitation to forward it with the rest of the paperwork to the agency. I don´t know whether Viking has a dedicated agency for a visa.

BTW we have this problems several times during the summer school holidays here in Germany. We do have a special kids´ ID which is called passport and looks pretty much like a real passport (but the fee is much cheaper). So even the passport authorities do suggest to get this cheaper passport for a kid (up to the age of 12 y) instead of a real one. So parents think they are ok with this document. But this document is not valid for the US (and ESTA). So each year there are desperate families at the airports not being able to travel to the US because one of the kids has no proper passport.

Over here we did have law suits regarding the proper documents and what a cruise line has to do and tell you. At the end... the cruise line has to tell you that it´s your responsability to have the proper documentation for the visited country and that they can deny boarding if you don´t have it. Here in Europe the problem is even more complicated with different nationalities. So what is valid for a German citizen can be totally different for the spouse coming from a non EU country (and even within the EU countries the rules can be different). Just recently the German passport has being rated as one of the best ones as you can visit more countries with a German passport than with any other without obtaining a visa in advance.

steamboats

All so confusing! Thus the need to find out for yourself what is needed. There are posts all the time on the boards saying "my wife has a green card from wherever, can she do this trip" and the best advice is "contact your embassy/consolate".

I have not traveled with Viking but they used to use Generations for visa services. This was awhile ago.

On the My Viking Journey website, where we log in and can review all the information about our booked cruises (and also book optional excursions, drink package, etc.), is a Pre-Travel Checklist page. One of the items prominently listed is "Arrange for Any Needed Visas." Clicking on the More Info link brings up Viking's disclaimer that the passenger is responsible for confirming whether they need visas or not.

I know that when we booked the cruise we took in July, I could hardly wait to read all the information available on that website. I'm sorry the OP didn't read it all, or if he did, didn't think he needed to check further about needing visas to travel in Russia. Expensive mistake!

Sorry about your missed vacation. An expensive lesson to bear.

Back in the day, I was flying to Australia from LA and was surprised to learn that I needed a visa to enter Australia. My American hubris was overwhelming as I was used to flying and vacationing in so many countries that I was astonished to learn that Australia wanted a visa from a US citizen. Since then, I always check the countries' websites to check the visa/ inoculation requirements. Also check the CDC for US inoculation suggestions.

On the My Viking Journey website, where we log in and can review all the information about our booked cruises (and also book optional excursions, drink package, etc.), is a Pre-Travel Checklist page. One of the items prominently listed is "Arrange for Any Needed Visas." Clicking on the More Info link brings up Viking's disclaimer that the passenger is responsible for confirming whether they need visas or not.

I know that when we booked the cruise we took in July, I could hardly wait to read all the information available on that website. I'm sorry the OP didn't read it all, or if he did, didn't think he needed to check further about needing visas to travel in Russia. Expensive mistake!

I think the reason for the disclaimer is that there are so many possibilities as to the requirements that they couldn't list everything. For some countries where you are born matters rather than what passport you carry. And requirements change; it would be hard for them to keep everything up to date. However, on one thing I agree with the OP; it sounds like Viking could make this item more prominent. However, even putting it in big letters at the front of the documentation package probably wouldn't work because it would be too late.

Sorry about your ruined vacation. For what it is worth, both my wife and I received an email from Uniworld for our upcoming trip reminding us that we need to obtain a multiple entry visa for an upcoming trip to Vietnam. I had already done this months ago but am sure that some travelers might have "dropped the ball" and that email might avert a similar disaster to yours from occurring. I have not traveled with Viking but would have expected they would have taken the same care for their clients.

At the same time obtaining a visa for you might be difficult as some countries will provide an insert page while others require your passport for the visa, what countries do you have citizenship, where were you born, etc. I hope your future travels go smoother.

I too feel very sorry for the OP’s missed cruise but I also feel it’s a matter of taking personal responsibility for the fiasco. I don’t see how Viking (or any other cruise line) is responsible, they did not do their homework and unfortunately it was a very costly mistake. As to insurance being misleading, not the case, again, do your homework.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the reason for the disclaimer is that there are so many possibilities as to the requirements that they couldn't list everything. For some countries where you are born matters rather than what passport you carry. And requirements change; it would be hard for them to keep everything up to date. However, on one thing I agree with the OP; it sounds like Viking could make this item more prominent. However, even putting it in big letters at the front of the documentation package probably wouldn't work because it would be too late.

One point of my post was the disclaimer. However, the major point of my post was that determining whether visas were needed or not was prominently posted on the checklist. And the checklist itself is one of the first things that pops up when you first log on to My Viking Journey. So OP missed not one but two notices from Viking that he needed to inquire re visa requirements.

I am so sorry this happened to you.......If I were Viking, I would give you as much incentive to travel with them on another cruise....I just think they would benefit from the good will!! But, I can also vouch for the use of a TA....we have been on almost 35 cruises all over and we still use one....They are a wealth of information and always the fall guy when something happens...I don't understand the control issue with a TA, you are always in control of your own trip!!

Went to MyVikingJourney where you MUST fill out the information forms. It says this.

MY ACCOUNT

VISA AND TRAVEL DOCUMENTS

Visas

Please take some time to assess whether you require a visa for any country you are traveling to. As a service to guests, visas are available from an independent third party (Generations Visa Service) upon request. If you would like to obtain your visa through our partner, please visit their website and download a visa kit. Complete and return the forms to the visa company in a timely manner so that you will have your documentation in time to travel.

Note: Viking River Cruises accepts no responsibility for obtaining required visas nor for advising guests of visa or other immigration requirements.

I did this cruise 3 years ago booking direct with Viking and the original documents clearly stated you require a Russia Visa. after filling up the online forms we had to present ourselves at the scheduled place & time to have out fingerprint taken as well as 'iris' recognition. 4 weeks later we were invited back to recive our visa. I had intended to take a Mississippi cruise in Spring 2019, but trying to get a visa to enter the USA is the most difficult I have ever had, possibly because I am a member of a political party that the present USA president has had problems with in his business life

. What you have to understand is that all countries have different regulations to allow you to enter especially just now with so many countries having disagreements of various sorts. I'm possibly lucky having only lost my deposit because the USA have decided I'm an ' Undesirable'.:mad::mad::mad:

That is true for ocean cruises. It is not true for river cruises. Because passengers are flying to Russia they have to have individual Russian visas. It has nothing to do with shore excursions.

My point was that it was very clear that anyone entering Russia needs a visa.

Best to assume a visa is required until you can confirm otherwise. Again, a good TA is indispensable.

My point was that it was very clear that anyone entering Russia needs a visa.

Exactly! It´s just that as a cruise ship passenger on an organized shore tour you don´t have to apply for an individual visa ahead of the trip but are covered by a group visa.

steamboats

I had intended to take a Mississippi cruise in Spring 2019, but trying to get a visa to enter the USA is the most difficult I have ever had, possibly because I am a member of a political party that the present USA president has had problems with in his business life

. What you have to understand is that all countries have different regulations to allow you to enter especially just now with so many countries having disagreements of various sorts. I'm possibly lucky having only lost my deposit because the USA have decided I'm an ' Undesirable'.:mad::mad::mad:

Why did you apply for a visa? Assuming that you are a UK citizen (and therefore still an EU citizen) you only need an ESTA - visa waiver program. Was ESTA denied or did you apply for a full visa? If the later has been denied you do have a problem as you will need a visa for the rest of your life and you are not allowed to apply for another one for the next 5 years.

steamboats

That's what I did apply for and it was refused. No explanation and apparently you can't be told exactly why it was refused. Yes I'm Scottish born & bread and never lived in any other country. Apart from being arrested at a protest at the building of a nuclear power plant in 1971 have no criminal record. But have been involved in offshore wind power which some people in 'Power' find 'Offensive to the Eye'. Can't think of any other reason why I should be refused , unless they have got hold of my 23 & Me DNA which shows I'm mainly native American [ [imported by 6X gt Grandfather who was an Orcadian] and that they are scared I'm going to claim back 'My Country' from all these European invaders LOL

Why did you apply for a visa? Assuming that you are a UK citizen (and therefore still an EU citizen) you only need an ESTA - visa waiver program...
The EU has no relevance in a discussion of the US Visa Waiver Program (VWP). The US VWP applies to citizens of 38 COUNTRIES and does NOT automatically apply to EU citizens. There are EU citizens (eg Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Romania) that are NOT covered by the US VWP.

That's what I did apply for and it was refused. No explanation and apparently you can't be told exactly why it was refused. Yes I'm Scottish born & bread and never lived in any other country. Apart from being arrested at a protest at the building of a nuclear power plant in 1971 have no criminal record. But have been involved in offshore wind power which some people in 'Power' find 'Offensive to the Eye'. Can't think of any other reason why I should be refused , unless they have got hold of my 23 & Me DNA which shows I'm mainly native American [ [imported by 6X gt Grandfather who was an Orcadian] and that they are scared I'm going to claim back 'My Country' from all these European invaders LOL

Being denied for an ESTA does not mean that you are banned from the US only that you are not eligeable for the Visa waiver program. You can still apply for a Visa through a US embassy. You can also apply for a redress if you think you were denied incorrectly.

The EU has no relevance in a discussion of the US Visa Waiver Program (VWP). The US VWP applies to citizens of 38 COUNTRIES and does NOT automatically apply to EU citizens. There are EU citizens (eg Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Romania) that are NOT covered by the US VWP.

That´s why I put "EU citizen" in parenthesis ;-)!

Being denied for an ESTA does not mean that you are banned from the US only that you are not eligeable for the Visa waiver program. You can still apply for a Visa through a US embassy. You can also apply for a redress if you think you were denied incorrectly.

Exactly, when ESTA is denied you need to apply for a visa. But anyway they can deny that without telling any reason.

Most of the ESTA denials are because of a mistake filling out the form. You still can try it again. Or go for a clearance.

steamboats

That´s why I put "EU citizen" in parenthesis ;-)!

Exactly, when ESTA is denied you need to apply for a visa. But anyway they can deny that without telling any reason.

Most of the ESTA denials are because of a mistake filling out the form. You still can try it again. Or go for a clearance.

steamboats

Current rules do not allow them to give a reason for denial.

Tops reasons are

Issue with current or previous Visa including over stay.

Error in form completuon.

Difference between information on form and that obtained from other sources.

Criminal background.

ID theft

RDC1,

I think it´s an automatic check as the approval arrives within minutes. So it´s mainly a fault of the applying person filling in the form incorrect. There´s an automatic denial when you answer one of the questions with a "yes".

I had friends having problems as their names have been misused by a third person and therefore their names are on a watch list. So ESTA was denied. But there´s a clearing process which can be gone through.

steamboats

RDC1,

I think it´s an automatic check as the approval arrives within minutes. So it´s mainly a fault of the applying person filling in the form incorrect. There´s an automatic denial when you answer one of the questions with a "yes".

I had friends having problems as their names have been misused by a third person and therefore their names are on a watch list. So ESTA was denied. But there´s a clearing process which can be gone through.

steamboats

The list comes from the CBP. So you would need to argue the points with them.

A few minutes is all it takes to run a check against a DB to match info.

The list comes from the CBP. So you would need to argue the points with them.

A few minutes is all it takes to run a check against a DB to match info.

Unfortunately it´s not that easy and quick. You have to file your points and then get an appointment for an interview and face check at the embassay...

steamboats

There was a discussion on BBC Scotland the other day about UK citizens trying to get into the USA the other day , because f the number of refusals, and even for 'Travel Experts' from one of the National UK newspapers being totally confused by the questionnaire and also being refused entry. One of the questions really stood out as being quite bizarre, " Are you involved in terrorist activity against the USA or any other country"?. Who in 'Homeland Security' thought that question up?. If You were a terrorist would you answer it honestly? One of the other major criticism of the form is that if you are filling it up on a small device like a iPad mini the spaces between the tick boxes is so small it is very easy to make a mistake.

As a small update to Viking I have just received my 'Info Pack' from Viking for my next trip in 3 weeks through Eastern Europe and it is so comprehensive tailored to the individual explaining all documentation, passport requirements, currency and Credit card protocol and basically taking you by the hand through every procedure from the time you leave home heading for the airport, to the time they leave you at the airport at 'Check In' there is no way you are going to make a mistake, If You Read It. I did almost make a big mistake ( picked up by Viking) that my PC auto filled in a recently expired Passport Details.