Photos From Greenland

• 1 month later...

I have just found this post.

Big thank you Keith1010,

We are on a cruise to Greenland from Tilbury next year and your pictures really bring it to life and make me wish my life away till I get there!

One question, if you don’t mind. How did you organise your hike? Was it from the ship or self organised? We’d love to do a bit of hiking in the hills.

Thanks,

Libby

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Something we don’t see too often - photos of Greemland! Would love to hear a bit more about the photos and the adventure - probably you’ve done an extensive report. Maybe a few thoughts, impressions or even some captions if you get some time. The photos are spectacular and spark so much curiosity around a place few of us might get to visit! But no pressure at all...truly 😎

Thanks so much for posting, we appreciate it! 😊

We recently returned from Seabourn’s 24 day Reykjavik to Montreal cruise which included a lovely day of transiting through the Prins Christian Sind and five ports of call in western Greenland. We were also in the Nunavut area of Canada with zodiac excursions around a couple of islands where we did see polar bears and walrus. Then we we enjoyed some interesting stops in Happy Valley;Goose Bay (a first for this very friendly community), Red Bay ( where we visited the remains of the 15th century Basque whaling station) and L’Anse Aux Meadows (the oldest Norse settlement in North America). I did a blog on the Seabourn website under Route of the Vikings but I will post some pics here and will be happy to answer questions.

eee25ec8f2592f8192fe2f15f345cb78.jpgbe411d946e5dcfe4a3c72d12bdd29afb.jpga632ce9874d6080e339b25146841585d.jpgbd64262c69c4a661f5195ac06376bdba.jpg7aeefa8b6ac8bfa35872c3dbe6e5dfe3.jpg

The above pics are all from our day cruising the Prins Christian Sund .

Our ports in Greenland were Qaqortoq, Paamiut, Nuuk, Maniitsoq, Siisimuit, and Ilulissat. All different and special in their own way.

Qaqortoq stone sculptures throughout town3fe7a6aee6539012c8e75a407b008202.jpg

View from hike in Paamiut62d01869ed7e24e895c74e7a20edc097.jpg

Iceberg in Nuuk0fedcb31c6293305ead5703b3fcd519f.jpg

The “Venice” of Greenland - Maniitsoq48975438bf885a7ada88e0c591c6147d.jpg

Little girl dressed in traditional attire for first day of school posing with big brother34bd15dd525702ce6a31fd1101d099c3.jpg

Colorful Sissimiutdd2d6b913ac8cfc0470a40a7ec8ae9d0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I love all the photos, thanks for sharing them!  We recently returned from HAL's Viking Passage; we cruised the spectacular Prins Christian Sund, and visited Qaqortoq and  Nanortalik.  Here are a few photos:

Prins Christian Sund: 

enhance

Prins Christian Sund:

enhance

Nanortalik:

enhance

Nanortalik:

enhance

Qaqortoq:

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed the photos of Greenland!  We were there in 2009 and 2010 on TAs.  Had a really huge iceberg in '09 off Nanortalik which prevented us from dropping anchor (cap'n was afraid the berg would move and crash into us); instead we sailed up a nearby fjord, which was probably a better alternative anyway.  There was a mine further up than we went but saw at least one or two other ships connected to that activity.  Made it to Nuuk both years.  In 2009 it was like winter with snow and cold.  Some of us CCer's were going birding so we did brave the elements <g>.  The next year, it was sunny and fairly warm; got some beautiful photos that time:  those colorful houses against a bright blue sky, not to mention the large mountain looming nearby.