Beach without seaweed and murky water?

blyle

We have noticed the last few times in Cozumel that the beaches we went to were murky, water was full of seaweed and smelled bad. Is it that true at most of the beaches now? I did not even want to go in and surely would not take a child into that kind of water. The water looks clear and beautiful at the pier but it was not that way at the beach. Any suggestions?

We’ve been to Cozumel many times by cruise ship, but it wasn’t until we took a land vacation there and explored the entire island, that we realized how much nicer the beaches are on the east side of the island, away from the town of San Miguel and nearby beaches were most cruise passengers hang out.

The east side of the island is blissfully uncrowded. We went to Chen Rio Beach and it was like a post card. Dramatic coast line, wide white sandy beach with crystal clear water. Some parts are protected and great for a family swim, and others are more exposed with larger waves. It’s a great way to get away from the large crowds and mingle a bit with the locals.

A few things to keep in mind:

Even though you’re not that far away, it will feel like you are. There’s no electricity on this side of the island and cellphone reception is spotty.

You will find a few beachfront food and drink establishments, but bring some cash because they don’t take credit cards and there are no ATM’s (once again, no electricity).

Finally, make sure that you have transportation secured to get back. We just rented a Jeep for the day which we drove out there and back.

A visit to the east side of the island may make some less adventurous cruisers a bit uncomfortable, but believe me, it’s truly easy to get out there, and it’s completely worth it. You’ll see a side of Cozumel that very few cruise passengers ever see.

Sent from my iPhone using Forumsk

All of the popular beach clubs are lined up along the west side of the island; if currents/storms are bringing seaweed and murky water to one, it will affect them all. The east side beaches are an expensive alternative. Your call! ;)

We’ve been to Cozumel many times by cruise ship, but it wasn’t until we took a land vacation there and explored the entire island, that we realized how much nicer the beaches are on the east side of the island, away from the town of San Miguel and nearby beaches were most cruise passengers hang out.

The east side of the island is blissfully uncrowded. We went to Chen Rio Beach and it was like a post card. Dramatic coast line, wide white sandy beach with crystal clear water. Some parts are protected and great for a family swim, and others are more exposed with larger waves. It’s a great way to get away from the large crowds and mingle a bit with the locals.

A few things to keep in mind:

Even though you’re not that far away, it will feel like you are. There’s no electricity on this side of the island and cellphone reception is spotty.

You will find a few beachfront food and drink establishments, but bring some cash because they don’t take credit cards and there are no ATM’s (once again, no electricity).

Finally, make sure that you have transportation secured to get back. We just rented a Jeep for the day which we drove out there and back.

A visit to the east side of the island may make some less adventurous cruisers a bit uncomfortable, but believe me, it’s truly easy to get out there, and it’s completely worth it. You’ll see a side of Cozumel that very few cruise passengers ever see.

Sent from my iPhone using Forumsk

We enjoy the east side very much and have been many times. However, it is not true to say the water is always crystal clear and beaches free of sargassum.

When the problem was particularly bad (2014/15) it was predominantly east facing beaches throughout the Caribbean that were affected. In this area, predominantly the east side of Cozumel, Playa / Cancún on the mainland and Costa Maya. We had a particularly bad visit to Rasta’s, one of our favorites, and we couldn’t stand the smell for long. Unfortunately since late February seaweed seems to have been bad again this year. I haven’t read any particular reports about the east side of Cozumel this year but do know that Puerto Morelos/ Akumal/Costa Maya are bad and so would guess the east side is affected again.

Beaches on the west side can be affected given certain weather conditions and currents but not as often I would guess and because they are more developed are probably cleaned up more quickly.

There are some wonderful beaches on the east side where there are no beach bars or development- great for taking a cooler and picnic to for seclusion but they will not be cleaned of seaweed, if conditions are such that seaweed is there!

Edited by c-leg5

All of the popular beach clubs are lined up along the west side of the island; if currents/storms are bringing seaweed and murky water to one, it will affect them all. The east side beaches are an expensive alternative. Your call! ;)

I agree that on a given day conditions will affect most of the beaches along a stretch because as you say they are all close together, whether that be the east side or the west side.

However I would disagree that the east side is necessarily an expensive alternative. As far as total daily cost goes I think the east and west side can be very similar “total cost-wise” but the two sides will offer a very different experience. You will not get the developed AI offerings on the east side, with extra amenities, and may therefore pay less for your facility but you will pay more for transport and will need to be more careful with transport arrangements. For example, for those looking for quiet, I have done a day at Playa Morena for less than a day at Nachi Cocom for two but it depends what you are looking for from your day.