Cost of go karts on Bliss

MyTMo777

How would we know when the ship is not even finished being built yet? However, if you find out how much it costs on their other ship then that might give you a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It rolled out today. And I thought it was worth posting because some people on this forum seem to be able to find out information that isn’t readily available elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They have announced that it will be fee based, however not the amount. I like the idea if paying a nominal fee, will help keep lines down.

Hard to compare it to the Joy however, being a China based ship will mean it will have no bearing on what they charge in the US.

Seems like it should be free. Pretty cheesy if they do charge.

Certain things onboard are additional charges.

Want to bowl on the ship- Additional fee.

Want to go to the spa- Additional fee

Want specialty coffee- maybe a fee.

Upgraded dining- Additional fee.

4000 passengers on board, say even 1/2 are interested. If it's free of charge the line would be as long as the ship itself.

Certain things onboard are additional charges.

Want to bowl on the ship- Additional fee.

Want to go to the spa- Additional fee

Want specialty coffee- maybe a fee.

Upgraded dining- Additional fee.

4000 passengers on board, say even 1/2 are interested. If it's free of charge the line would be as long as the ship itself.

You make a valid point. It is interesting how Royal's Anthem of the Seas (similar size ship) is able to offer I-Fly, NorthStar, Flowrider, and bumper cars for free..

I just recently look at one of the Joy's review, including a segment commenting on the Go-Karts ... well, suffice to say, hold your expectations low & be happy.

It's slow, each run is 4 laps around the 2 level track but if you are stalled behind inexperienced "drivers" - there is no honking. They also "throttled" the karts to manage the flow as they see fit.

On the BA, a simple game of non-regulation bowling at OSH was $5 ... I just dont' see this, being. Free (flame me if you like) There's maintenance, use of safety helmets ... don't know about closed toe shoes & headsocks for NCL. I can visualize a premium surcharge for a shorter line (fast track like theme parks) or pre-booking a time slot. Does junior drivers get to share the tracks with adults or will they have different hours, many questions, i.e. safety waivers.

Just for reference, local Go-Kart places charge anywhere from $10 to $20 for a single race, that's typically as much as 20 laps - discounts for a package of multiple runs.

Happy guessing & waiting.

After seeing several (non-NCL) videos of Joy's karts, it's obvious that speeds are usually slow. However, I have seen video of the kart at what I guess is full speed (not counting the 3 sec burst) and it looks like fun. The problem is that with so many bad drivers, the staff will likely keep speeds low most of the time.

You make a valid point. It is interesting how Royal's Anthem of the Seas (similar size ship) is able to offer I-Fly, NorthStar, Flowrider, and bumper cars for free..

Does it sail to the same place to compare the cost to go pp vs NCL?

If they tack on a small increase for everyone that takes the cruise is it really free? It's like the "complimentary" food and beverage choices. Trust me, they aren't truly free. They've accounted for everything on board.

Nothing is truly free.

Both will be sailing out of NYC area 2019/2020 fares are similar .

Similar.

I see it as I wouldn't ride them. So if it's "included" I am paying and just not using.

If it's additional charge applies then a person at least hopes you aren't paying unless you are using.

It's like going on a booking if all alcohol is provided vs charged or allow pack purchase. If you don't drink then you are helping pay for everyone else.

It's $5 on the Joy.

That's surprisingly low to me. How many laps? 3? Local karting places cost a lot more, but they give you a lot more laps so it feels more worth it. I can see NCL doing low number of laps for a lower charge because that will cycle more people in and out and they can make more per lap. Norwegian nickel and dimes you on everything. The way I cruise, I don't find them inexpensive at all. However, the Bliss looks beautiful so I don't have a problem paying more to be on such a new and beautiful ship.

I suspect that’s per lap. Talked to an NCL rep two days ago who confirmed that the price has not been announced yet, but that the one on the Joy is indeed $5. Didn’t think to ask how many laps. With the Bliss track being longer, i think the price could be higher.

That's surprisingly low to me. How many laps? 3? Local karting places cost a lot more, but they give you a lot more laps so it feels more worth it. I can see NCL doing low number of laps for a lower charge because that will cycle more people in and out and they can make more per lap. Norwegian nickel and dimes you on everything. The way I cruise, I don't find them inexpensive at all. However, the Bliss looks beautiful so I don't have a problem paying more to be on such a new and beautiful ship.

I honestly don't know. A crew member friend opened the Joy. So, he got to ride in it before the first cruise. He said the go carts were slow. But the cost was $5 for passengers. They surely can't allow you on for very long. Although at $5 a ride, I'm thinking not many kids will be on too much. You don't see the arcades full, since they cost too. Parents will only allocate so much, then they'll all be by the pool. They got rid of the ropes course, mini golf, rock walls and sports court. There's no where else for them to go now.

I honestly don't know. A crew member friend opened the Joy. So, he got to ride in it before the first cruise. He said the go carts were slow. But the cost was $5 for passengers. They surely can't allow you on for very long. Although at $5 a ride, I'm thinking not many kids will be on too much. You don't see the arcades full, since they cost too. Parents will only allocate so much, then they'll all be by the pool. They got rid of the ropes course, mini golf, rock walls and sports court. There's no where else for them to go now.

Hmm, you make a very good point. Where will all the kids go? On an Alaskan cruise, the pool isn't an attractive option either so... running up and down the halls?

$5 a lap would be highway robbery, but I could see it. The slow part would bother me the most though. But, I guess "slow" is relative. I can understand not allowing 30 mph, but it had better be above 10 mph for sure. 20 mph would be a good compromise. I'm afraid it'll be 1 lap for $5 at 10 mph. My kids can do that at home for free.

Riders get 4 laps on the "slow" Go-Karts on the Joy, per my understanding, but even at $5 USD, it's relatively pricey for the China market as that's about $31 RMB - for a fairly short run. Add time for putting on the helmets & getting in, buckling up for safety, etc. Adding extra laps would create longer wait for the lines.

Mixing in inexperienced/new drivers, adults vs. teen drivers also pose other challenges for the tracks ... hence, those that tried it on the Joy spoke of getting stalled & coming to frequent halts with newbies blocking the entire track ahead.

This is interesting to follow to see how it progress.

Edited by mking8288

The tracks are only on the ships to make money and not as a perk to customers. Shareholders will like the tracks as they will generate a higher EPS.

Mking brings up excellent points- well written- I wouldn't be surprised if they had a tiered approach- lets say 3 laps for $19.95 and 5 laps for $29.95 for example. It's bound to be a hit and the tracks, cars etc.. will be more overhead with NCL so they wouldn't be having them to lose money.

I am wondering if they can do night racing- that would be neat.