Back from Wind Surf Dec. 16-23

elklemi

Back from my first Wind Surf cruise and received so much info from others on this board which helped me decide to take my first Wind Star cruise and had a wonderful experience and discovered this is what I had been looking for as a way to enjoy the real caribbean. I finished my review and if I can answer and questions from others who are questioning as I did I will be glad to answer any concerns you may have. Happy New Year to all.

Can you provide a link to your review? I would love to read it since my wife and I are considering booking a Wind Surf cruise which would be our first with Wind Star. Thanks!

I'm just back from the Wind Surf and i will write a review in a few days but I'll answer some of my questions. Snorkel equipment is handed out the first day. I wish i remembered that crepes are only available for breakfast on the first morning. Not much is open on Sundays in Martinique and even less on Dec 31st. Taxis are readily available in each port with Castries being the most aggressive. Keep walking. The prices are much lower in town. We ended up in cabin 102 because of a leak in 126/128 so i would avoid those 2 cabins. The people who were moved from 128 to 126 said that the AC didn't work. That's all i can think of for now. I'll be happy to answer all of your questions.

I'm just back from the Wind Surf and i will write a review in a few days but I'll answer some of my questions. Snorkel equipment is handed out the first day. I wish i remembered that crepes are only available for breakfast on the first morning. Not much is open on Sundays in Martinique and even less on Dec 31st. Taxis are readily available in each port with Castries being the most aggressive. Keep walking. The prices are much lower in town. We ended up in cabin 102 because of a leak in 126/128 so i would avoid those 2 cabins. The people who were moved from 128 to 126 said that the AC didn't work. That's all i can think of for now. I'll be happy to answer all of your questions.

We have been allocated 102 next month for 2 weeks. Anything we should know?

Because of our fare type we usually get the least popular cabins on most ships.

Our first time on Windstar though. Its going to be interesting!

I do believe that cigars are only allowed above the Compas Rose. I could be wrong but I have been on WS cruises where if cigars are being smoked on the main decks people complain for good reason. “Cigar smoke vs sea air “ I do not complain but I would. It is very intrusive. I do believe there are sugar free jellies, not sure about desserts but think there are and there is always fruit. Don’t know about Marimite or Vegemit. Never have seen English bacon or Kippers. There is substitute sugar. Great food, variety, fresh, healthy, presented beautifully, ample and more choices than you can imagine. Great cappuccino in the Yacht Club, terrific sandwiches. Lunches and breakfasts small bufetts and menus, great salads. Very healthy and delicious healthy. Hope this helps. Of course food is subjective but that is my take. Happy Sailing

Just packing for our 2 week trip on Jan.13. Anyone know if they have Truvia (stevia) sweetener on board? We took a 25 day trip on Crystal and brought a box along but were surprised they ended up having it on board!

Thanks,

Karen

Is the watersports platform typically made available at all anchored/tendered ports? Weather permitting of course....thanks!

It was open on all of the tendered ports, but when the sea was choppy, the kayaks, SUP, etc were not available. Also, check the opening and closing times at the watersports platform/marina. Don't rely on the daily program because sometimes it's not accurate.

We have been allocated 102 next month for 2 weeks. Anything we should know?

Because of our fare type we usually get the least popular cabins on most ships.

Our first time on Windstar though. Its going to be interesting!

Bring a power strip or extra outlet. There's only one US outlet on the desk and another in the bathroom. Nothing near the bed.

Bring a power strip or extra outlet. There's only one US outlet on the desk and another in the bathroom. Nothing near the bed.

Isn't the outlet in the bathroom only for a shaver?

I don't remember ever seeing stevia on the table. Possible they had it in the back.

Isn't there also a European outlet on the desk? There is on the Star Legend.

I bring a universal plug adapter and a couple of 2 port USB wall chargers.

The universal plug adapter has a USB outlet as well as being able to plug in a US (or other) plug.

Thankyou we will. Recently on Pacific Princess we found a useful innovation - USB socket on the bedside lamps each side. Sweet!

I was in 102 in December and had no problems at all and did not notice more movement being at back of ship. I liked being right at stairs to get to morning coffee.

Stairs??????? How do they work? We actually really don't do stairs, I hope there is an elevator as well?

The Surf has 2 elevators, one at each end of the ship. They cannot be used during safety drills. Also, on deck 1 there are flood/fire doors that are closed going in and out of port and during ship staff fire drills. If you are on that deck you need a cabin that doesn't get shut off when these doors are closed or just know that you will need to do the stairs at those times.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by sb44

The Surf has 2 elevators, one at each end of the ship. They cannot be used during safety drills. Also, on deck 1 there are flood/fire doors that are closed going in and out of port and during ship staff fire drills. If you are on that deck you need a cabin that doesn't get shut off when these doors are closed or just know that you will need to do the stairs at those times.

Thank for that, we can usually do stairs slowly and painfully if we have to, not so much pain at the time as afterwards.

In an emergency we could do it. We have both had broken ankles in separate accidents. I also had a busted knee on my good leg in another mishap. So stairs are not too good for us.

One of our favorite videotapes was the one we made in 1995 during a Caribbean cruise when we were strolling through town. We recorded a series of Christmas carols played on the steel drums by folks who genuinely enjoyed what they were doing.

• 1 month later...
What was there to do in Mayreau?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Beach party day. One excursion available which is early morning catamaran. Small village on top of hill with some bars. Beach is beautiful, lots of lounge chairs and palm tree shade. They do a great job. Much better beach party day than Prickly Pear.