Marseille to Avignon using the TGV

frantic36

I have done some research with catching the TGV to Avignon from Marseille this July but hoping the knowledgable people who post on this board could help finesse my ideas.

We will be in port on a Monday from 9am to 11pm so lots of time to do this. We will be on Seabourn Encore so only 600 pax to contend with. I am planning/hoping to get the earliest train possible dependent on timing to get to the train station.

My questions

1) As it is a TGV is it best to book ~ 3 months ahead to get the best pricing? If so, what time to you think is the likely most achievable?

2) When we arrive in Avignon what public transport option is best to use to get to the old town? Or are taxis not too bad price wise and just get a taxi, under €10?

3) We are planning to visit the Popes Palace, get the ferry across to Barthelasse island so I can get a photo from that side of Saint Benezet's Bridge, go to the large public garden on the hill to admire the view. Any other recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance.:)

Julie

Julie,

best prices for TGV are 3 months ahead, but there isn't that much difference, they run very frequently between those towns..

Seabourn always docks at the Old Port so you can walk right ut as soon as the boat gets clearance. It is a 20 minute walk to the station, but there are also taxis.

The best option in Avignon is a taxi, but you can walk to the Popes palace in about 15 minutes.

Public transport eats up too much time.

I know you are a walker...

Let me throw something your way since you have so much time. Look at taking the train from Avignon to Orange. It's about a 15 minute ride. . .

Also, have you thought of renting a car? We find it is worth it on a long port day.

Edited by marazul

Hi Marazul,

I was hoping you would jump in, so thank you for the information. I will check out Avignon to Orange.

We do lots of things but we have never driven in either Europe or America where they drive on the opposite side of the road. One day, when we do our planned land trips through the countryside in Provence or Tuscany we will aim to do so. But we are not keen to try for the first time on a port stop.

I do read the suggestions for car hire and they sound great, but we are also trying to avoid "navigator rage" as I am not a great navigator. Sometimes those GPS systems don't work as they should.:)

Julie

If you can stay away from the TK Grill, think of having bouillabaise in Marseille that evening. I will not recommend a restaurant because it has been a good 5 years since we did that. Check viamichelin.com for recommendations.

Have you been checking my notes for this trip?:)

That is exactly what we had planned to do that evening. I will check via michelin.

Thanks again. Julie

I don't often disagree with Marazul, but not so sure about walking from the TGV station to the Pope's Palace in 15 minutes. There are two train stations in Avignon. The main (Central) Station is convenient to the old town and one can walk from the station to anywhere in the old town. But the TGV Station is an entirely different facility which is located more than 5 kilometers (about 3 miles) from the Pope's Palace. There used to be a free shuttle bus that ran between the two stations, but not sure if that still exists and/or if its still free. But like all shuttles this does involve time waiting for the bus and getting through the traffic to the other station. Using a taxi to get to the old town from the TGV station is a good idea if one wants to save a little time.

I should mention that all the TGV trains can only go to the TGV station. Only the non-TGV trains use the Central Station.

Hank

Hi Hank,

Thanks for jumping in with more information. If it was 3 kilometres maybe but 3 miles, especially since we plan to walk a lot in the old town, is a bit far.

Taxi it is then, as we want to utilise our time well while there and still get back and in time for our Bouillabaisse dinner. I found a couple of good recommendations on the Viamichelin site. Including a Bib Gourmand that looks great close to the old port.

Julie

I don't often disagree with Marazul, but not so sure about walking from the TGV station to the Pope's Palace in 15 minutes. There are two train stations in Avignon. The main (Central) Station is convenient to the old town and one can walk from the station to anywhere in the old town. But the TGV Station is an entirely different facility which is located more than 5 kilometers (about 3 miles) from the Pope's Palace. There used to be a free shuttle bus that ran between the two stations, but not sure if that still exists and/or if its still free. But like all shuttles this does involve time waiting for the bus and getting through the traffic to the other station. Using a taxi to get to the old town from the TGV station is a good idea if one wants to save a little time.

I should mention that all the TGV trains can only go to the TGV station. Only the non-TGV trains use the Central Station.

Hank

The advice from Hank is good. We took a TGV from Lyon to Avignon in 2012. Some TGVs did stop at the town station in those days. It may be worth checking. We caught one that did and we walked to Hotel de Europe from the station as there were no taxis. Not easy hauling luggage over cobblestones.

On departure we took a taxi from the hotel to the TGV station. We travelled onward to Aix en Provence. Easy!

You do not need to pre book tickets. Check out the timetable on de bahn. The official German rail site. It is in English and has accurate timetables for all of Europe.

I’d highly recommend Hotel de Europe. ***** Napoleon stayed there. It has a Michelin starred restaurant which will not blow the budget too much. Avignon is lovely. We thought it nicer than Aix. The Popes palace is an impressive building but empty.

Enjoy

Bruce

Hank

You got me! I did stop there once on the TGV from Paris. We took a taxi to the hotel, but I am pretty sure it was from Central. Didn't realize all the TGVs are now at the other station. Taxis are the solution. Buses always add too much time to the day. But, Julie might want to check the train schedules from Marseille to Avignon. There are many, frequent trains all day long and some of the TER trains to Avignon Central do take just a little over 1 hour. The TGV takes 45 minutes. And yes, the TGV station is 6 km from the center of town.

https://www.oui.sncf/

You got me! I did stop there once on the TGV from Paris. We took a taxi to the hotel, but I am pretty sure it was from Central. Didn't realize all the TGVs are now at the other station. Taxis are the solution. Buses always add too much time to the day. But, Julie might want to check the train schedules from Marseille to Avignon. There are many, frequent trains all day long and some of the TER trains to Avignon Central do take just a little over 1 hour. The TGV takes 45 minutes. And yes, the TGV station is 6 km from the center of town.

https://www.oui.sncf/

I must confess we almost got fooled by the two station thing. But what saved my butt was we had rented an apartment in nearby St Remy for a few weeks and were being visited by friends on their first visit from the States. They were coming to Avignon from Paris via the TGV and asked us to pick them up at the station. At the last minue (a few hours before the train) my friend (who did not know much about France) e-mailed me to "remind" us to pick them up at the TGV station. At the time I had no idea there was such as station but quickly looked online...and drove to the proper place. I actually asked a SNCF train official (who happened to be at the station) about the place and he told us that the tracks and crossings that led to the Central Station did not meet TGV standards. So the French had to decide whether to upgrade miles of track and numerous overpasses and crossings...and they thought the better solution was to build a new train station right along the TGV line.

Hank

Thanks Bruce and marazul for the additional information. Bruce, unfortunately we aren't staying in Avignon this time but I will check out the restaurant for lunch.

Marazul, I do hope we get to sail together sometime.:). I have printed of the information you gave re the pate for our train trip from Paris to Barcelona.

Julie

• 2 weeks later...
I have done some research with catching the TGV to Avignon from Marseille this July but hoping the knowledgable people who post on this board could help finesse my ideas.

We will be in port on a Monday from 9am to 11pm so lots of time to do this. We will be on Seabourn Encore so only 600 pax to contend with. I am planning/hoping to get the earliest train possible dependent on timing to get to the train station.

My questions

1) As it is a TGV is it best to book ~ 3 months ahead to get the best pricing? If so, what time to you think is the likely most achievable?

2) When we arrive in Avignon what public transport option is best to use to get to the old town? Or are taxis not too bad price wise and just get a taxi, under €10?

3) We are planning to visit the Popes Palace, get the ferry across to Barthelasse island so I can get a photo from that side of Saint Benezet's Bridge, go to the large public garden on the hill to admire the view. Any other recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance.:)

Julie

Hi was just reading your post. We are also on that cruise. We are from Sydney. Just thought I would mention that Seaborn has listed Marseille as a tender port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Kate,

I hadn't noticed the tender information. We should be okay as we have no set time schedule apart from getting back in time to sail.

We might see you onboard. We will be mainly in the Obs Bar pre dinner or TK Bar. I'm blonde and my husband follicular challenged.:)

Julie