Best buy for whiskey- Ship or island?

LuVermont

Neither is a very good buy anymore. The ship has pretty well figured out what is charged on the islands, and the islands have figured out how much is charged in America (or elsewhere), and so you will find, for the most part, alcohol at either place to be maybe $1 or $2 cheaper than your liquor store at home. There are a couple exceptions, but I have realized it's not usually worth the hassle to carry it home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

We want to bring back some whiskey and bourbon for Christmas gifts. Is it best/cheaper to buy on the ship or on an island. We are heading to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Costa Maya. Thanks for your help!

My experience on western Caribbean itineraries is that Grand Cayman typically offers the best liquor prices followed by Cozumel including compared to those onboard. Costa Maya price were really high so I wouldn't bother there.

I am Canadian and with the high liquor prices we pay in Canada it is definitely worth my time to do this. I suspect you being from Vermont, I use to live in Quebec 25 miles from Debby Line, it would be worth your effort in this respect.

On my last Caribbean cruise I got a liter of Sauza Gold Tequila for $6 and on our recent Brilliance TA, not really a Caribbean cruise but it did stop in San Juan, got a liter of bended Scotch whiskey, Claymore, for under $5 and a 700 ml of Italian Limoncello liqueur, DW's favorite, for just over $5 but that was in Gibraltar. Also have gotten good deals in the past on Canadian and Irish whiskey but I don't really drink the American version.

Also remember that the liquor shop on RCI ships will price match shore prices if you bring a flyer or photo of shore prices.

Edited by robtulipe

It depends on what you are looking to spend. I agree with the above two posters with respect to the cheap stuff, but I disagree as it relates to more expensive brands.

On the ship they usually have a deal for Johnnie Walker gold or platinum for about 120 for two 1 liter bottles. These go for $80 each or more on land for only a 750 ml bottle.

Also, I've gotten a deal for two 1 liter bottles of Johnnie Walker Blue on the ship for $310. Again, on land, these can be as high as 200+ each for 750 ml, though I've seen it on sale for $180.

I've also seen the blue on St. Maarten for 140.

I'm sure there are other examples, but this is what I've purchased recently.

Bottom line though is you need to know about what you would spend on land in your area. Also, I've had success negotiating a bit with them if you are buying more that one bottle.

There are good deals on the ship and islands if you drink better than a college student.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And suitcase weight. How much do they charge if you're over the weight limit nowadays?

I just checked and the cost for a bag that is even just 1 pound over the weight limit on American Airlines is $100; minimally. So I guess if you're saving $101 or more on the liquor then you're coming home ahead (if your bag is overweight). I brought home a couple bottles of alcohol I couldn't get in America a couple vacations ago, and it took me over the weight limit. I had to take a bunch of stuff out of my suitcase and carry it on the plane in my purse.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I just checked and the cost for a bag that is even just 1 pound over the weight limit on American Airlines is $100; minimally. So I guess if you're saving $101 or more on the liquor then you're coming home ahead (if your bag is overweight). I brought home a couple bottles of alcohol I couldn't get in America a couple vacations ago, and it took me over the weight limit. I had to take a bunch of stuff out of my suitcase and carry it on the plane in my purse.

Maybe you shouldn't have packed so much in the first place. :D

After our TA even with our two bottles in my suitcase it wasn't overweigh and that was after a 14 night TA and a week's stay in Florida. Also didn't you have a carry on in addition to your personal item purse. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

You need to know your prices there are bargains, as already said on recent cruises we had a nice deal for Johnny walker gold and also platinum , also remember bottles on the ship are liters not fifths. I like buying things not sold in the USA like Hennessy white.

Maybe you shouldn't have packed so much in the first place. :D

After our TA even with our two bottles in my suitcase it wasn't overweigh and that was after a 14 night TA and a week's stay in Florida. Also didn't you have a carry on in addition to your personal item purse. ;)

Perhaps not [emoji4]

That particular trip I think I tried to pack as much into the suitcase as possible to reduce the additional baggage fee, and because we were changing planes and I didn't feel like lugging a carry on with me if I didn't need to. I think I packed snorkel gear and fins for 2 people in that bag, plus hiking shoes for a volcano hike and extra shoes for stupid formal night, plus all the extra liquids and flatirons required to complete the dress up look (part of the reason I absolutely hate formal night). Plus when you're really strong like I am, 50 pounds doesn't seem heavy, so I had no idea my bag was so close to the weight limit until it went over because of the liquor [emoji6]

Edited by ColoradoGurl

We have always found St Maarten has the best value in liquor prices especially for those of us traveling from Europe. We recently got a 1L bottle of Canadian Club for $12 ( and one in the airport for $17), the same bottle at home in Ireland would be $55/€50

If you are a party of 2 flying but only take one carry on between you (your purse doesn't count on most airlines) take a fold up duffle bag (Walmart) and pack it into one of your bags. This way, if overweight, just remove the duffle bag and fill it with as much dirty clothes as you can and carry it on. Then you have room for whatever it is you bought but can't carry on the plane.

If you are a party of 2 flying but only take one carry on between you (your purse doesn't count on most airlines) take a fold up duffle bag (Walmart) and pack it into one of your bags. This way, if overweight, just remove the duffle bag and fill it with as much dirty clothes as you can and carry it on. Then you have room for whatever it is you bought but can't carry on the plane.

Yeah this is a good idea. I recently discovered an Eagle Creek packable backpack that folds up really small and weighs next to nothing that I plan to buy for my next trip.

Perhaps not [emoji4]

That particular trip I think I tried to pack as much into the suitcase as possible to reduce the additional baggage fee, and because we were changing planes and I didn't feel like lugging a carry on with me if I didn't need to. I think I packed snorkel gear and fins for 2 people in that bag, plus hiking shoes for a volcano hike and extra shoes for stupid formal night, plus all the extra liquids and flatirons required to complete the dress up look (part of the reason I absolutely hate formal night). Plus when you're really strong like I am, 50 pounds doesn't seem heavy, so I had no idea my bag was so close to the weight limit until it went over because of the liquor [emoji6]

We have a travel luggage scale that weighs 5 1/2 oz. with batteries that provide us with very accurate luggage weight. We also check what our luggage weights with a digital bathroom scale before we leave on a trip or cruise that involves air travel so we have a good idea where the luggage weigh will be if items are added during the trip.

We also bring along a very light weight compactable cloth bag that a personal item like a purse or small camera bag can be carried in along with excess from our luggage when needed so it becomes a larger personal item. We've never had a problem do this when necessary. Also this bag also act as a beach bag when one is needed.

Edited by robtulipe

Grand Cayman for the West and St Martins for the Eastern. Not a big fan of hard Liquor but prefer cordials and wine. Last time in St Martin a liter of Romana Sambvca was $19.95 American, .750 mil. was $26 plus tax at ABC. I'm sure other cordials are price very well. Grand Cayman was about the same price.

Edited by north29

In July I purchased Johnny Walker Blue for US$93 in St Maarten, this is the cheapest I have ever seen it, so much so I bought more than one bottle :) I see in the US over $200 most of the time.

That's a nice find right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

check the price onboard and then you can compare on the islands.also check your local stores.

This is definitely the way to go. I wanted to buy some Appleton rum in Jamaica but then I figured out that the price difference wasn't that much considering the hassle of carting it home & worrying about it breaking. I ended up just buying it at my local Bevmo

This is definitely the way to go. I wanted to buy some Appleton rum in Jamaica but then I figured out that the price difference wasn't that much considering the hassle of carting it home & worrying about it breaking. I ended up just buying it at my local Bevmo

The days of the rock bottom prices in the Caribbean are long gone. It used to be that you could find jewelry and alcohol and various other items for extremely cheap, but they've figured out that we'll still buy things even if they're at tourist prices [emoji22]

In July I purchased Johnny Walker Blue for US$93 in St Maarten, this is the cheapest I have ever seen it, so much so I bought more than one bottle :) I see in the US over $200 most of the time.

Over $300 CDN in Ontario. Even with the exchange rate that $93 US would only be about $130CDN so that's definitely a deal.