>>Celebrity Edge<< - Exterior Views

eroller

Many of us have been looking for exterior views of EDGE, and I captured some off the first reveal video.

Some initial observations:

1. No "X" on the side of the funnel, but the funnel itself is shaped like a giant X. Unfortunately it will be hard for those on other ships to tell it's an "X" when looking at the side profile.

2. Celebrity has been very careful not to reveal the bow of the ship. Also on the deck plans it shows "more to come" for the bow section. I anticipate some sort of lounge or observation deck at the very tip of the bow. This is something that AIDA PRIMA offers and it's pretty cool. The bow itself looks to be blunt, based on silhouettes of the ship, again similar to AIDA PRIMA.

3. The main pool is huge! This is something shared with the TUI Mein Schiff new builds, which many say EDGE is modeled after. Royal Caribbean has a large financial interest in TUI and basically designed their new ships, so this is no surprise.

4. There appears to be a crystal type lounge at the very aft of the ship. Again this is something the TUI ships offer, so it might give you a preview of what to expect with EDGE.

5. The air conditioned tenders look really cool, and the "Magic Carpet" as well, which speaks for itself.

6. Still no large open promenade deck from what I can tell. The lifeboats will sit directly on the deck, so similar to the Solstice Class. Unfortunate for a ship that is "open to the sea" but I guess you can't have everything. At least the Magic Carpet will provide some open deck space off the Promenade Deck when positioned there.

7. If you like open forward observation decks, I'm guessing you're out of luck on EDGE unless you're booked in a suite and have access to the Retreat. Hopefully there will still be an interior observation lounge accessible to everyone, but that remains to be seen.

8. The main pool deck will probably be even more spectacular in person, just because it's so open and the walkway above is actually two decks above the pools instead of the normal one deck. I will make it feel super spacious and open.

9. The balcony cabins that run behind the movable Magic Carpet and between the support posts appear to be traditional balconies, and not the enclosed type (Infinite Verandah).

I would love to hear everyone else's initial observations!

33424266595_c342345315_b.jpg

33041229630_9752e42688_b.jpg[/url]

33424259915_1264edd348_b.jpg

33268583902_9b4acd8439_b.jpg

33041232470_e7812fd91a_b.jpg

I have lots of positive thoughts about what I have seen so far, but my overriding initial view is negative

These infinity balconies, by there very nature are fully covered

This means you won't have the few precious feet of sunshine to lounge in - shame

Same here, my initial views are not positive. Unlike the OP, I think the pool deck looks small with very few beach loungers to lay in the sun. And if you want to sit on the top deck for the sun, you have to go 2 decks down to get to the pool from what I can tell.

And then I looked at the prices - YIKES! Nothing we will be cruising on for some to come!

We love the Soltice Class so guessing we will stick with them, for now at least.

I have lots of positive thoughts about what I have seen so far, but my overriding initial view is negative

This means you won't have the few precious feet of sunshine to lounge in - shame

I love what I see, including the cabins.

Most balconies on ships today are fully covered. There is a rail, a ceiling above (basically the balcony above you), and walls on either side separating you from the balconies on either side of you. Only a small percentage of balconies on any ship are open air, meaning no ceiling above you. Either you're on the highest deck with nothing above you, or on a lower deck that happens to jet out from the other balconies which gives you open air, but also means everyone from above can look down on your balcony.

There will be some standard style balconies on EDGE, but they will still have balconies above in most cases so not really any different as far as being in direct sun.

By fully covered do you mean the balcony above projects out to the same projection as your balcony? Isn't that the same as the S class?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same here, my initial views are not positive. Unlike the OP, I think the pool deck looks small with very few beach loungers to lay in the sun. And if you want to sit on the top deck for the sun, you have to go 2 decks down to get to the pool from what I can tell.

Prices are steep, as can be expected with a new prototype ship. The same was true when CELEBRITY SOLSTICE was first introduced.

Based upon the renderings, I don't find the pool deck any worse than the Solstice Class, which I do find to be quite crowded especially on REFLECTION with the extra deck of people. EDGE will carry 138 fewer passengers than REFLECTION based upon double occupancy. Also keep in mind the aft decks have not been revealed yet. There may be more sunning space in the back of the ship, and of course the suites now have their own pool and sun deck, so they won't be taking up space by the main pool.

By fully covered do you mean the balcony above projects out to the same projection as your balcony? Isn't that the same as the S class?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think they mean the whole side of the ship where the infinity cabins are located will be flat - no fresh air between unless you pull down the window - bit like a conservatory. Similar also to the larger OV cabins on deck 3 of M class, but the window will open at the top and obviously you'll be able to close the French doors to separate the area.

I wonder if there will be any kind of divider that opens between the infinity veranda balconies.

I would say no since the veranda section is actually part of the interior of the cabin and is air conditioned when the french doors to the balcony area are open.

These balconies are sorta in line with The Cove cabins on Carnival, except you will be able to close it off if it rains and still be on it, I love that idea...along with the bifold doors. We may have to save up to cruise her, but I do see one in our future.

Hmmm... Why not put the X logo on the side of the funnel as well. It seems perfectly suited for it:

edgeX.jpg

Also, we know from the steel cutting ceremony that the bow of the ship will have a shape similar to AidaPrima and the new LNG ships for Costa/P&O/Aida.

CA-Blog-Celebrity-Cut-Steel-PR-feature.jpg

Yeah, the bow looks "reversed" from the deck plans too. (https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/getmedia/e4d5f423-f5ae-4d84-ac11-6133c76b12d7/CelebrityEdgeDeckPlans.pdf?ext=.pdf) I know they're schematic to some extent but...

Rest of the ship seems beautiful but if that's the bow I"m not impressed - don't know why anyone would copy that hideous AIDA thing. Looks like it hit a bridge or something! Unless it gets them some insane efficiency I'd pass!

Hmmm... Why not put the X logo on the side of the funnel as well. It seems perfectly suited for it:

The "X" on the funnel looks good, but I guess they are going for a cleaner look I don't know? I remember when the first Solstice Class ship came out (CELEBRITY SOLSTICE), there was initially going to be no "X" on the funnel. Instead they had a giant "X" etched into the balcony rails of a section of cabins. They decided to add the "X" last minute, and to this day the X on SOLSTICE is different and less pronounced than the other Solstice Class ships.

We have yet to see the bow, and I hear rumors that Celebrity may be going with "hull art" on the bow, so there could be a big white "X" there to contrast with the blue hull. Seems to be a trend. Princess is adding their "sea witch" logo to all the bows of their ships.

Just watched the video. While a lot looks great, here is my HUGE concern.

We love to spend time at the main pool, BUT IN THE SHADE!!!!!!!!

Looks like there is virtually no shade at the main pool. The port side is taken by PRIVATE cabanas, while the starboard side has only a narrow walkway two decks higher which probably provides very little shade.:eek:

Also, with the port side out of commission, looks like there is only a very small area for loungers.

This is particularly disappointing for a ship spending a lot of time in the Caribbean.

Just watched the video. While a lot looks great, here is my HUGE concern.

We love to spend time at the main pool, BUT IN THE SHADE!!!!!!!!

Looks like there is virtually no shade at the main pool. The port side is taken by PRIVATE cabanas, while the starboard side has only a narrow walkway two decks higher which probably provides very little shade.:eek:

Also, with the port side out of commission, looks like there is only a very small area for loungers.

This is particularly disappointing for a ship spending a lot of time in the Caribbean.

There could be a large shade area towards the entrance to the solarium. There is also a section in the shade before the cabanas start.