Unsold Suites

We have a cruise coming up on Regent that does not appear to be selling well (especially in the upper Suites), and final payment is due very soon. We like the cruise, but don't like the limbo surrounding what will happen to the unsold cabins. We don't want to see the cruise be sold to large groups or discounted. What will Regent do with their inventory? Many thanks for any experience/thoughts on this.

It is highly unlikely that the unsold suites will be sold to a group. Typically Regent fills their ships two ways:

1. Offer upsells to passengers already booked on the cruise for the upper suites because it is easier to sell the lower suites. The cost depends upon the length of the cruise and the suite category that you are already in. The more levels up that you go, the more expensive the upsell.

2. Regent may offer suites at a discount to passengers booked on the cruise before and after yours. We have taken advantage of this offer (and upsells) several times.

Generally Regent gets most if not all suites booked. If there are some empty, they will remain empty.

Note: I love the fact that Regent offers "deals" to passengers already booked on the cruise rather than discounting them to the general public!

It is highly unlikely that the unsold suites will be sold to a group. Typically Regent fills their ships two ways:

Note: I love the fact that Regent offers "deals" to passengers already booked on the cruise rather than discounting them to the general public!

Totally agree with you, I too hate promotions available to new customers/cruisers and ignoring your existing clientele

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can always have your agent call Regent and try to negotiate a price into a better suite. The best deals can be made closer to sailing, like two week out.

J

A question in relation to this - what happens to your bookings (excursions, dining) if you change cabins?

A question in relation to this - what happens to your bookings (excursions, dining) if you change cabins?

When we just changed suites before the cruise due to an upsell, the bookings went with us - we did not have to do anything. However, when we added on the next cruise segment, we had to make new bookings for that segment.

When we just changed suites before the cruise due to an upsell, the bookings went with us - we did not have to do anything. However, when we added on the next cruise segment, we had to make new bookings for that segment.

Thank you [emoji4]

... We don't want to see the cruise be sold to large groups or discounted

Really? I must be missing something here. What does the price other people pay for their cabin have to do with how much you enjoy your cruise (unless, of course, the "other people" have been recently banned from Carnival for gang warfare)?

Really? I must be missing something here. What does the price other people pay for their cabin have to do with how much you enjoy your cruise (unless, of course, the "other people" have been recently banned from Carnival for gang warfare)?

Not sure how I can say this without being bashed. When Regent started heavily discounting cruises, people that could not typically afford Regent booked. Generally speaking, it seems that when the majority of passengers (simple majority) are not luxury cruisers, the entire experience is difference. While there is nothing inherently wrong with Carnival passengers booking a Regent cruise, one would hope that they read about what to expect on a luxury cruise line - including dress code. And, probably more important to Regent, these passengers will not likely be booking future cruises at full price.

Adding a group can also be problematic. As indicated earlier, depending upon the group, the behavior of passengers can be appalling (as reported to us by crew members). People that "win" cruises or receive them as part of a bonus program from their company really have no idea about what cruising on Regent is all about. When some see "free alcohol" they go a bit overboard

Okay - bash away!

NGenerally speaking, it seems that when the majority of passengers (simple majority) are not luxury cruisers, the entire experience is difference.

Okay - bash away!

Quite the opposite - totally agree, just with a small correction. And here I might join you in being bashed.

When people (especially in large groups) attend something they are not used to/only go because this was given to them/some other reasons, they often neither know what to expect, nor how to behave/act accordingly. I witnessed a similar behavior on a recent Celebrity cruise where there was a large group of people who were not cruisers, I witnessed a similar behavior (on a much smaller scale) during Opera night on my recent overseas trip, where the majority of the audience were given tickets as this was their professional holiday (the announcement was made congratulating them) - they talked, ate and texted during the otherwise lovely performance. I can carry on with the list but the bottom line is - people either go on new experiences willingly (and in this case more likely to research what to expect/how to act) or are "pushed" there and the result is a bit of a fiasco :) Now, I can join you in being bashed! :)

The other problems with groups is that they can often shut down an entire specialty restaurant/bar/other venue, thus not allowing other passengers access. This can happen by design with the "reserved" sign or by the group just gathering there.

I noticed our late April cruise has the top 5 suite categories as waitlisted but all the others are listed as available. Have not received an upsell offer yet.

Regent is currently heavily discounting several sailings

Thanks for the heads up - will have to look and see which itineraries to avoid. It sounds as if these discounts are available in the U.S. and Canada (finally) as well as other countries.

Just took a look at the website and didn't find much in terms of low prices. Some of the Med. sailings are still not selling well - even with the promotion. The Alaska itineraries aren't selling well again/yet(?). Did find one in May that was quite a good price. Anything specific that you can point me/us to to give us an idea of what could be considered "remarkable"?

bunzini - Regent's specials are really not last minute - the specials I was looking at were at least through September, 2018. You may want to check out their website!

Edited by Travelcat2

Anything specific that you can point me/us to to give us an idea of what could be considered "remarkable"?

For us who are not regular visitors to their website I would not have a clue what is a regular price ... are the specials shown as such or you just know what to expect for a particular cruise?

For us who are not regular visitors to their website I would not have a clue what is a regular price ... are the specials shown as such or you just know what to expect for a particular cruise?

I've been sailing on Regent for so long that I more or less recognize what a "good deal" is. If I remember correctly, when the deep discounts were offered in the U.K., some of the Med. cruises - entry level suite - were about $3,500/person U.S. Anything under $500/day/person is great for Regent.

I've found the priciest cruises to be to Australia/New Zealand, Africa and Asia (likely due to airfare from the U.S. and Canada). For some reason, our Amazon cruise November was aggressively priced.

I've been sailing on Regent for so long that I more or less recognize what a "good deal" is. If I remember correctly, when the deep discounts were offered in the U.K., some of the Med. cruises - entry level suite - were about $3,500/person U.S. Anything under $500/day/person is great for Regent.

I've found the priciest cruises to be to Australia/New Zealand, Africa and Asia (likely due to airfare from the U.S. and Canada). For some reason, our Amazon cruise November was aggressively priced.

Oh, thank you - this certainly makes sense when you look at a per day price! NZ and Australia are always expensive on all cruise lines - we cannot even take a “cheap” cruise here if we don’t want to, or can’t afford the time, to fly to far away places ;)