House Wine ????

Tedferg

First Celebrity Cruise Mar 4 2017, Reflection.

Does Celebrity have House Wines and if so which Vintner are they ?

The only wine list I can find on this board is from Seadog on Reflection. It is the Opus wine list. There is no Chardonnay or Cabernet at $9 - so nothing for Classic package. This seems very strange.

Are there other wines by the glass in other bars ?

The Kendall Jackson thread here suggested Kendall Jackson is the 'House Cabernet'. If Kendall Jackson is House Wine we would be happy with their Chardonnay and Cabernet. The Classic package would be fine - if not Classic has very limited appeal.

The only wine list I can find on this board is from Seadog on Reflection. It is the Opus wine list. There is no Chardonnay or Cabernet at $9 - so nothing for Classic package. This seems very strange.

The Kendall Jackson thread here suggested Kendall Jackson is the 'House Cabernet'. If Kendall Jackson is House Wine we would be happy with their Chardonnay and Cabernet. The Classic package would be fine - if not Classic has very limited appeal.

There plenty of different vines under the $9 limit. They are all different brands . When we where on the Solstice in 2015 . The wine stewart in the MDR had about 3 different bottles of red and white open to pour. He also had Prosecco by the glass as well.

I do not have a list, but I believe the KJ is the private label (used to be Celebrity), but it is not the house wine. There are wines within the Classic and even the Standard drink package, but it is a limited list. Sutter Hill perhaps?

By the way the list is not the same at every bar and the most options within the package is in the MDR.

Thanks for the responses, the only list I saw was a complete list with all bottles etc. Seems like Classic will be a good fit for DW. It would also be fine for me if the Beer was a bit more adventurous :)

Also nice that we can sample wines on day 1 and then make a decision.

The is a drink for every drinks package. Depending upon your sommelier you may even get a "premium brand" at the "classic" or "Standard" price. If after tasting your wine you don't think its suitable ask for another. They will happily oblige

The is a drink for every drinks package. Depending upon your sommelier you may even get a "premium brand" at the "classic" or "Standard" price. If after tasting your wine you don't think its suitable ask for another. They will happily oblige

Please elaborate - do you mean, say in MDR, on a certain night the Sommelier might open wines that are not necessarily on a wine list ?

Drinks on the wine list may not be available in all packages free. The Sommelier however once informed what package you have will bring you wine to taste that is available within your package. Depending upon your relationship with the sommelier and available wines you may be pleasantly supplied what you are offered. I hope I don't have to spell it out syllable by syllable. Not all available wines are on the wine list. The ship carries hundreds of different brands and varietals, too many to put all on the wine list

Edited by Beanb41

Drinks on the wine list may not be available in all packages free. The Sommelier however once informed what package you have will bring you wine to taste that is available within your package. Depending upon your relationship with the sommelier and available wines you may be pleasantly supplied what you are offered. I hope I don't have to spell it out syllable by syllable. Not all available wines are on the wine list. The ship carries hundreds of different brands and varietals, too many to put all on the wine list

A discreet $20 or so to the wine steward is usually a good "investment'

Thanks it never occurred to me that wines would be available and not on the Wine List - obvious now that you point it out.

Did you have any problem with the earthquake ? Hope everything is OK for you and yours.

We were just on the Reflection, and I was disappointed in the selection of red wines by the glass. I had the classic package, and you could only choose one type of cab, merlot, pinot noir, and shiraz. The limit was $9 per glass. They were not very enjoyable.

My DH had the premium package so his limit was $13. He could pay the difference to upgrade his glass, which was fine, but a lot of the choices were $10, so not a quality upgrade for him. There were some others, but very limited, and then they would run out of one that was good.

In Tuscan Grille, DH had a great merlot, but you could not get it in the MDR.

I really hope they improve the selection of red wines by the glass. I did not know that a discreet tip to the sommelier was an option. ;)

We were just on the Reflection, and I was disappointed in the selection of red wines by the glass. I had the classic package, and you could only choose one type of cab, merlot, pinot noir, and shiraz. The limit was $9 per glass. They were not very enjoyable.

My DH had the premium package so his limit was $13. He could pay the difference to upgrade his glass, which was fine, but a lot of the choices were $10, so not a quality upgrade for him. There were some others, but very limited, and then they would run out of one that was good.

In Tuscan Grille, DH had a great merlot, but you could not get it in the MDR.

I really hope they improve the selection of red wines by the glass. I did not know that a discreet tip to the sommelier was an option. ;)

We were just on Reflection, and I upgraded to the premium package just for the wines in Blu, but there were only 2 wines by the glass at $14 which were mediocre. I was really disappointed. They did not have a large variety of good wines by the glass above that price to give you the option to pay the extra.

It must vary from ship to ship because we had some nice wines in Blu on Summit this past summer.

The wines on the classic beverage package are not the best ... the label would be something similar to:

St Francis or Benzinger Chardonnay (just ok)

Wente Cab (which isn't too bad)

Pinot Grigio, Shiraz, Merlot, Prosecco, Port .... unknown vintner

The Kendall Jackson is on the premium package, not the classic. If you are a lover of better wines, you will definitely do yourself a favor by upgrading to the premium package. What is nice is that they will allow you to do so on day 2, 3 or 4 so you can determine if the classic package is sufficient for you and will prorate the upgrade charge for only the days you use it. Also, if you have the premium package, you can purchase a wine that is above the upper limit (I think it is now set at $13 per glass) and only pay the difference. If you have the classic package, you will pay the entire charge if you want a glass of wine over the $9 limit.

The whereabouts of a ship I think is crucial as to what wines one may get on board. The Celebrity Solstice for example when down under for our summer has access to NZ whites and Aussie Reds. Even the cheapies are of good quality especially the Aussie Reds. A ship based in Europe for example would not have access to many of these wines because of the freight costs. On our recent Solstice cruise quality Aussie Reds and NZ Sauvignon Blancs and Chardonnay were being sold by the bottle all over the ship for $US25 per bottle which is extremely good value.

For those asking we were lucky with the earthquakes only 2 lives lost. Had the earthquake (7.8) happened at noon rather than midnight the outcome could have been considerably worse. Many buildings in Wellington are munted and will have to come down. Kaikoura a small town on the South Island East Coast is cut off by road slips and a new road inland is currently being worked on the provide road access. This past weekend was our Navy's 75th Jubilee and a number of ships from about 12 Navies had come to NZ to help celebrate. When the Earthquake happened rather than party in Auckland ships frm NZ, Australia, Canada and USA went instead direct to Kaikoura to provide humanitarian support and as a country we are grateful for their support.

• 1 year later...
The wines on the classic beverage package are not the best ... the label would be something similar to:

St Francis or Benzinger Chardonnay (just ok)

Wente Cab (which isn't too bad)

Pinot Grigio, Shiraz, Merlot, Prosecco, Port .... unknown vintner

The Kendall Jackson is on the premium package, not the classic. If you are a lover of better wines, you will definitely do yourself a favor by upgrading to the premium package. What is nice is that they will allow you to do so on day 2, 3 or 4 so you can determine if the classic package is sufficient for you and will prorate the upgrade charge for only the days you use it. Also, if you have the premium package, you can purchase a wine that is above the upper limit (I think it is now set at $13 per glass) and only pay the difference. If you have the classic package, you will pay the entire charge if you want a glass of wine over the $9 limit.

It is my understanding that they changed the Classic plan last year so you can now buy better wines and just pay the difference, same as premium.

It is my understanding that they changed the Classic plan last year so you can now buy better wines and just pay the difference, same as premium.

You are correct. My experience is that unless you ask for a specific wine off a specific package you could end up with a Premium or Classic wine irrespective of package. The sommeliers seem to have a great deal of discretion so my advice is that if you are on a classic package and want a better quality wine look after the sommelier. It may be cheaper than upgrading packages