Safe to drive around in Curacao?

Loves Snorkeling

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I just did this last week. I highly recommend a GPS if the rental company has ut as an option.

I can try to answer questions if you have any. I rented with Advance car rental and was very pleased.

Hey there. can you advise how the company worked? Did they meet you at the pier, did you get a shuttle? Their office seems to be 23 minutes from the pier. Thanks so much

We have rented cars (from Avis at the Mega Pier) 4 or 5 times and driven pretty much the entire island. It is helpful to have a working GPS (or be a good map reader with a good sense of direction) for getting around the island. Keep in mind that the island is relatively long (we often drive over 20 miles from the port to some of the Northwest beaches). As to safety, you will feel save while driving. But when parking.....never leave anything of value in your car. In fact, we usually leave a door unlocked or a window partially open....in case anyone wants to "break in" to the car. Some of the beach areas can be pretty remote and there are occasional car break-ins. But this is true on most Caribbean Islands...and Curacao is probably better then many others :).

The main reason we have rented cars is to get far away from the attractions that attract most cruisers :). DW and I are avid snorkelers and beach goers....and we often seek out some remote beaches (such as Jeremy Beach) where we can do some snorkeling, We have actually spent time on some beaches where we were the only people....or there were fewer than a dozen others.

Hank

• 7 months later...

We will be renting from Advance for our November cruise and want to do some amateur snorkeling. We do not have snorkel gear, can we rent some after we get there? We are not limiting ourselves to a specific beach for the day, just meandering. TYIA