2nd time on Divina.1st Eastern cruise after the hurricane. My thoughts this time

Mattnvick

Just back from our 2nd cruise on the Divina. Background:

Was hoping for a replica itinerary after feeling a little cheated on our last one last November when our youngest son left at home broke his thumb and tore his ACL so most of the port times were spent on the phone trying to sort surgeons, physios etc.

However a busy hurricane season put paid to that: all ports changed except Nassau;p go figure......

Sailing this time with DH, eldest son and his gf.

Soooo Divina herself still as stunning and sparkling clean as ever. The crew seemed to be enjoying themselves laughing and joking with each other always a smile and a good morning in the corridors or about the ship when they passed you and you had eye contact with them. Seem to be trying really hard.

Bar service could be a little spotty seemed very slow on the last night not sure why.

Food was hot in the main dining room rarely ate in the buffet this time.

Room service morning tea delivered on time every time.

Cruise critic get together this time in Eataly Steakhouse well attended. I would guesstimate about 50 people. All the crew attending were interested in what people had to say and i felt they had been listening (and reading) and implementing in quite a few areas.

Did the behind-the-scenes ship tour and i have to say it was excellent and well worth the money. Lasted 3 hours in total.

Ship was not sailing at capacity approx 800 below they felt due to a lot cancelled due to the changed itineraries and hurricane worries in general.

This was noticable, particularly on the pool decks where there was never any issue getting a lounger.

Everyone we encountered no matter what language they spoke were polite and I saw no barging in the elevators;p

As for the changed itinerary ports. Antigua was great. St Thomas is still experiencing power issues, there was still a lot of damage to be seen and i felt in all honesty they werent really ready to accept visitors. Specially not the 15 cruise ships we were told they could accommodate. I think there were 3 in when we were there and we were the largest. They are frantically trying to get back to normal but i think its going to take a while. Nassau is Nassau. Enough said...

They announced that over the next 9 years they will have 11 new ships. One to accommodate over 7000 passengers. They obviously want to get in the market in a big way. Will certainly be interesting to watch.

I have become an aft balcony lover would always look to book one if at all possible.

Embarkation and disembarkation fast and easy both times.

Finally I really like the voucher system and hope they dont scrap it.

Did you happen to go to the shopping area? Aside from electricity problem, were the store structures affected?

Thank you for your feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We wandered through briefly after being dropped there after a tour. The store on the tour up high on the mountain overloooking Magens Bay had a third of the stock roped off and a notice saying Hurricane Damaged goods not for sale and the whole store and it was quite large smelled damp.Although it seemed mostly jewellery stores down where we were dropped and i wasnt interested in purchasing any, the structures of those seemed intact. Some restaurants still closed. Senore Frogs right at the port still closed. Traffic lights in some areas not working. The hotel on the headland opp where we docked i believe the Mariott?looked badly affected and another hotel they said wouldnt be opening again until 2019 it was so badly damaged. A huge yard had transformers in it ready for installing. Wires dangling on the roads they just drove over. We saw utility trucks from all over the US there obviouslya had been sent to help out.

We wandered through briefly after being dropped there after a tour. The store on the tour up high on the mountain overloooking Magens Bay had a third of the stock roped off and a notice saying Hurricane Damaged goods not for sale and the whole store and it was quite large smelled damp.Although it seemed mostly jewellery stores down where we were dropped and i wasnt interested in purchasing any, the structures of those seemed intact. Some restaurants still closed. Senore Frogs right at the port still closed. Traffic lights in some areas not working. The hotel on the headland opp where we docked i believe the Mariott?looked badly affected and another hotel they said wouldnt be opening again until 2019 it was so badly damaged. A huge yard had transformers in it ready for installing. Wires dangling on the roads they just drove over. We saw utility trucks from all over the US there obviouslya had been sent to help out.

I feel sorry for them. Sounds like a different place from when we were there mid this year.

Thanks for your update.

Was the barbecue restaurant in the port area of St Thomas open?

And thank you for your positive review!

Was the barbecue restaurant in the port area of St Thomas open?

And thank you for your positive review!

Im sorry i dont have an answer for your question. Our tour bus picked us up right by Senor Frogs and we arrived back at the ship by boat.