Maya Key: snorkeling for poor swimmers?

Cre8tivCruiser

I think if you can lay down you can snorkel, but if you are so nervous that you are thinking valium, it may not be for you. People can still drown even with a life vest because they suck in a lung full of water down the snorkel. For that reason, I would recommend a dry snorkel which you would need to buy ahead of time.

Just so you know, they do have people that work there and stay out there on the dock to watch you and make sure everything is ok. They will also take you out and you can swim beside them (no charge, just a tip if you'd like). Just tell one of them out there on the deck that you are not a good swimmer and would like them to help you or accompany you out and show you around while feeling safe because they are there with you. :)

I think if you can lay down you can snorkel, but if you are so nervous that you are thinking valium, it may not be for you. People can still drown even with a life vest because they suck in a lung full of water down the snorkel. For that reason, I would recommend a dry snorkel which you would need to buy ahead of time.

Totally agree ,my wife did it twice on the same cruise and scared the crap out of me. Its called dry drowning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_drowning

Very helpful everyone, thank you. And how scary, Mikel24m!

Mizz_k, good to hear.

I'm mostly joking about the Valium! I'd never heard of a dry snorkel before, loxley. Maybe I will pick one up. I would definitely be on the surface, though. No diving for me!

And it's great to know there are employees to help, mitsugirly. Thanks!

And just to avoid confusion, Maya Key is in Roatan, Honduras and not Costa Maya, Mexico.

Ohh its Roatan. That's great for the OP.Heres a video of West Bay Beach ,Roatan

Its not me in the video but we were here and its great snorkeling in waist high water !!

Original poster google Victor Bodden tours Roatan. Cheap ,very reliable and they have all the good spots to see (and snorkel)

The snorkeling in Maya Key is wonderful, but if you are not a good swimmer, I would recommend snorkeling off of a beach for the first time. You'll be worried about the depth of the water as well as trying to get used to the snorkel. The beach at Maya Key is beautiful and you could probably snorkel right there to get comfortable, then go to the end of the dock.

Thanks for the video link, mikel24m.

Comeon530, that sounds like a good plan. I've gone snorkeling twice before, once off a boat and once from a beach, but it's been a while and I would definitely be more comfortable with the baby steps!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived