Ladies--marriage license needed to cruise?

canwegonow

Hi all! I will be cruising for the first time in February, on the Pride, and intend to use my birth certificate and driver's license to board the ship. My issue (which I'm sure is one many of you share) is that I've been married twice and the name on my license doesn't match the name on my birth certificate. Do I need to bring my marriage licenses to establish a "paper trail?" Have you been asked for yours when sailing with a birth certificate?

Thanks for your help!

Jenn

You have enough time to get a passport. With a passport you do not need to worry about other documentation, just make sure your passport name is the name you book with. Have several friends whose passport name is different than their now married name.

Most married women's names do not match BC names.

How close is your DL to your BC?

Name on BC--Jane Amy Doe

DL Name Jane Doe Smith or Jane Amy Smith was good without the ML when SIL and I cruised before we got passports.

DL name Jane Smith Jones will need a marriage license.

The first time I cruised, I was asked for "bridging documentation". This is the documentation that shows why your name was different between BC and DL. For me, this was BC, ML, certified divorce decree and second ML. Lots of paperwork to have to carry.

Thanks for the quick replies! I figured I'd have to bring copies, no big deal. I'll bring copies of the marriage licenses, but I don't think I'll need the divorce decree from my first marriage--I never took back my maiden name (went from Jenn J. to Jenn H. to Jenn O.--never went back to Jenn J.)

Ah, who am I kidding? I have enough OCD that I'll probably bring it anyway. I mean, my cruise is almost exactly 7 months away and I already have a packing list started...:eek:

Thanks for the quick replies! I figured I'd have to bring copies, no big deal. I'll bring copies of the marriage licenses, but I don't think I'll need the divorce decree from my first marriage--I never took back my maiden name (went from Jenn J. to Jenn H. to Jenn O.--never went back to Jenn J.)

Ah, who am I kidding? I have enough OCD that I'll probably bring it anyway. I mean, my cruise is almost exactly 7 months away and I already have a packing list started...:eek:

You definitely should bring the divorce decree - I don't think you need the first marriage license - the divorce decree will show that you were Jenn J. then Jenn H. The new marriage license will show that Jenn H. became Jenn O.

As someone above said, you should get a passport - unless this is a one off trip and you don't plan to do any other foreign travel over the next 10 years.

As someone above said, you should get a passport - unless this is a one off trip and you don't plan to do any other foreign travel over the next 10 years.

I agree completely. Since the OP is concerned enough to ask these kinds of questions, a passport is the obvious (and easy) answer.

Definitely get passport or bring all the bridging documentation. It doesn't matter how many women have never been asked for it. The only thing that will matter is if YOU are told you need it when you check in.

And I would recommend bringing official copies, not just photocopies.

I have to take my marriage license with my passport since my passport is in my maiden name. I got my passport for our first cruise together and on that cruise he proposed. I'm not going to pay for a new passport with my married name since I have another 8 years left on my current one. It's not really that much of a hassle to bring one or two additional papers to save yourself a huge problem if someone asks for documentation.

Hi all! I will be cruising for the first time in February, on the Pride, and intend to use my birth certificate and driver's license to board the ship. My issue (which I'm sure is one many of you share) is that I've been married twice and the name on my license doesn't match the name on my birth certificate. Do I need to bring my marriage licenses to establish a "paper trail?" Have you been asked for yours when sailing with a birth certificate?

Thanks for your help!

Jenn

9 times...never been asked.

I have to take my marriage license with my passport since my passport is in my maiden name. I got my passport for our first cruise together and on that cruise he proposed. I'm not going to pay for a new passport with my married name since I have another 8 years left on my current one. It's not really that much of a hassle to bring one or two additional papers to save yourself a huge problem if someone asks for documentation.

It sounds like you're outside the window now, but the State Department actually does not charge for a name change on your passport within one year of marriage. Here's the link, for anyone who might benefit from it.

It sounds like you're outside the window now, but the State Department actually does not charge for a name change on your passport within one year of marriage. Here's the link, for anyone who might benefit from it.

Yes unfortunately it was a little over a year between getting the passport/our engagement cruise and our wedding so I was not able to take advantage of that and need to purchase an entirely new one to make the change. I'd rather take the license than pay again.

Book your travel with the name on your passport. No one cares that Jane Doe is traveling with John Smith.

If you have a different last name on your birth certificate and ID of course you would need a way to prove your the same person I have no idea why anyone with tell you anything different.

If you have a different last name on your birth certificate and ID of course you would need a way to prove your the same person I have no idea why anyone with tell you anything different.

Mainly because it is not needed.

I always bring my marriage license just in case. I also bring my passport and birth certificate. Yeah so I have a paper trail with me, a little OCD but it makes me feel better lol.

I thought I was the only one that does that!! I do the exact same thing! I also think I am a little OCD LOL. I just want to make sure I get on the big ship!!

I am one up on you though. I also make photocopies of everything and put them in a different bag. Originals in purse and others in carry on.

Archived