From the 1950s, Cunard promotional film titled "Getting There Is Half Is Half The Fun

Cruise Liner Fan

YouTube is a very good source to find videos about Cunard and other passenger ship lines which would even include videos from years ago. In the 1950s the Cunard Line did release this promotional film titled "Getting There Is Half The Fun". This film was filmed aboard the Queen Elizabeth sailing a transatlantic crossing from New York to Southampton and it is 33 minutes long. The start of this film does show the other Cunard Ships at that time in the 1950s. The film source is probably old 16 millimeter film so there are a few frames missing probably where the film broke apart and had to be scotch taped together again but it is worth viewing for people like us who like nostalgia about the great Ocean Liners. Here is the link

Any thoughts about this film? Regards,Jerry

YouTube is a very good source to find videos about Cunard and other passenger ship lines which would even include videos from years ago. In the 1950s the Cunard Line did release this promotional film titled "Getting There Is Half The Fun". This film was filmed aboard the Queen Elizabeth sailing a transatlantic crossing from New York to Southampton and it is 33 minutes long. The start of this film does show the other Cunard Ships at that time in the 1950s. The film source is probably old 16 millimeter film so there are a few frames missing probably where the film broke apart and had to be scotch taped together again but it is worth viewing for people like us who like nostalgia about the great Ocean Liners. Here is the link

Thank you for sharing this, Jerry! I love elegance of travel during this period!

Ricki

Back in the day, QE2 had an entire channel dedicated to these old ocean liner films. But sadly not on any of the present ships to my knowledge.

This is one of the greats, though, c. 1956 I imagine, when Cunard was still Cunard and if you didn't like them you had CGT, USL, HAL, Canadian Pacific etc etc. And this being the 1950s, men wore sports jackets with ties during the day and woman day dresses or skirts. And being a promotional film, why every single day on the North Atlantic was spent bathed in perpetual warm sunshine, too. Civilized travel didn't end at the dock, either, and this shows the wonderfully convenient Boat Trains from Cherbourg to Paris and Southampton to London.. right from the pier.

My family sailed from Cherbourg to NYC in the summer of 1963. I don't remember much sunshine but I do remember bouillon on deck at 11, huddled under blankets. My sister and I were 11 and 9 years old respectively and had a wonderful time. We had an inside cabin with our parents; I remember bunk beds on either side. I have a photo of my sister and me playing Scrabble in one of the lounge areas. I guess we were pretty hazy on the rules; none of our words intersected.

Thanks for the link.

Fascinating!

It’s long been a bucket list item for us to do a TA on an Ocean Liner as opposed to a cruise ship. A dream that becomes a reality on August 3rd 2018 when we return from NY on QM2

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...

We board the current QE in San Francisco next month. This was a fun video. Thanks

As Cruise Liner Fan wrote, YouTube has a number of films from the golden age of passenger liners. I enjoyed "Getting There Is Half the Fun" so much that I went searching for others and came across this film promoting a world cruise on the Caronia.

As you'll see, it's not only ships that have changed since then; so has the whole world.