Help needed Quantum from Shanghai

Hi hoping some one has done a cruise from Shanghai to Japan

I would like any advice please on hotels in Shanghai and getting from the airport to Shanghai centre

Also if Royal do a transfer from the ship to the airport at the end of the cruise or would we be better off getting a taxi are flight will not be till 8pm that night

Thanks for any information

A few years ago I stayed at Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World - great location as it's pretty much on the main strip, walking distance to the water and near the museums and major attractions. Reasonably priced too. As for getting to from the airport I actually can't remember so it can't have been too traumatic but I'd recommend a shuttle.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yeah, I did that Quantum cruise to Japan from Shanghai last year.

We stayed at a hotel on Nanjing road, took the maglev as wanted to try that, then a regular train on. All pretty convenient.

Also had a similar departure out so took the train back to the airport. No hassles with time.

Hi hoping some one has done a cruise from Shanghai to Japan

I would like any advice please on hotels in Shanghai and getting from the airport to Shanghai centre

Also if Royal do a transfer from the ship to the airport at the end of the cruise or would we be better off getting a taxi are flight will not be till 8pm that night

Thanks for any information

I stayed last month at the "Astor House" hotel on the bund. This hotel is 172 years old, and a unique find. However, you need to know this is a really old hotel, with lots of history. The rooms were fine and the beds were comfortable, but the furniture, wall paper, lights, and just about everything else is antique, so you better be prepared for a different experience. Outside of that hotel, there are tons of hotels to pick, that are modern. The major US hotel chains like Hilton, have several hotels. Plus European chains like IBIS have hotels.

So for the Hotel, pick any of them, because they will be fine. Personally, I liked being on the Bund, but that area is pricier.

Easiest way to get from airport to your hotel is just take a taxi. Make sure you have cash. (Chinese). Traffic is bad. You can try the trains but it will be a challenge. I don't think I had a single taxi ride over $20 USD.

You can do a transfer from the ship to the airport. We did. It's about a 4-5 hour excursion, and drops you off at the airport. You said you are leaving at 8:00 so need to be at the airport at 5:00. Just a suggestion. We almost did this, but opted for the ships excursion because it was easier. Get off the ship, take a taxi to the airport. Bring your luggage to the baggage storage place at the airport. Find the mag train, and take it into center city. You can have maybe 4-5 hours to enjoy, and get on the train back to the airport around 4:00.

The excursion dropped us off about 4 hours before our flight. Not to bad for us, but we left 2 hours earlier than you will, so you would be dropped off 6 hours before your flight.

Go see my review of the trip under Quantum of the Seas.

I have stayed at both the Hyatt on the Bund as well as the Hongta Hotel. Hyatt on the Bund is in a fantastic location, centrally located, and close to the metro and bus lines. There is also an amazing view from the rooftop bar/restaurant. Hongta Hotel is in the Pudong district, near the Expo Center, but easily accessible to the metro, bus, etc. Both times, a business colleague arranged for my transportation to/from the airport, so I do not recall what taxi fare may be, although it was at least 45 minutes - 1 hour transit time each way.

• 4 weeks later...

Just after getting off the Quantum and back in Shanghai hotel. Its very very easy to get to and from the port. Surprisingly the tourist information office on The Bund was absolutely no help and had no clue. Told us wrong information and when I corrected them on it told us to contact the cruise line. All in all very rude and no help. The tourist information at one of the mainline train stations did help and just confirmed what I had intended on doing.

So we stayed near The Bund and walked 5 minutes to Peoples Square metro station. Here we took the blue number 8 line 4 stops north and changed at Hongkou Football Stadium. Here follow signs and change onto the yellow number 3 line going north. Take this line for 10 stops and exit at Baoyang Road. This whole journey takes about 45 minutes and cost 5 Chinese Yen each or about 60 US Cent.

Once here, we took a taxi to the port which cost 30 Yen. We walked the last 5 minutes as traffic was insane. Arrived at the port about 10am, checked in by 10:30 but had to wait until 11:45am to board. As we were the only Diamond members on board (and 2 of no more than 10 Westerners) we were looked after by the Concierge team and waited amongst the suite guests.

On leaving the ship do all of the above in reverse.

Any other questions, do please ask.

When in Shanghai we love to stay at the "Grand Central" hotel at 505 Jiujian Road...absolutely "amazing" hotel just steps from Nanjing Road and a quick easy walk to the Bund.

Just after getting off the Quantum and back in Shanghai hotel. Its very very easy to get to and from the port. Surprisingly the tourist information office on The Bund was absolutely no help and had no clue. Told us wrong information and when I corrected them on it told us to contact the cruise line. All in all very rude and no help. The tourist information at one of the mainline train stations did help and just confirmed what I had intended on doing.

So we stayed near The Bund and walked 5 minutes to Peoples Square metro station. Here we took the blue number 8 line 4 stops north and changed at Hongkou Football Stadium. Here follow signs and change onto the yellow number 3 line going north. Take this line for 10 stops and exit at Baoyang Road. This whole journey takes about 45 minutes and cost 5 Chinese Yen each or about 60 US Cent.

Once here, we took a taxi to the port which cost 30 Yen. We walked the last 5 minutes as traffic was insane. Arrived at the port about 10am, checked in by 10:30 but had to wait until 11:45am to board. As we were the only Diamond members on board (and 2 of no more than 10 Westerners) we were looked after by the Concierge team and waited amongst the suite guests.

On leaving the ship do all of the above in reverse.

Any other questions, do please ask.

Why not just take the taxi from the bund? It cost only $15 USD or 91rmb

Hi monk a few questions if you don't mind answering

What did you think of the cruise overall did you enjoy it?

Did they provide you with your diamond amenities on the cruise as we are D+ and did wonder about that

We have now booked les suites on the bund for are three day stay so we are hoping three days in Shanghai will be enough what is your opinion ?

Thanks for the info but I think we might just grab a taxi to the cruise centre as I would be scared of getting lost lol

• 2 weeks later...
Hi monk a few questions if you don't mind answering

What did you think of the cruise overall did you enjoy it?

Did they provide you with your diamond amenities on the cruise as we are D+ and did wonder about that

We have now booked les suites on the bund for are three day stay so we are hoping three days in Shanghai will be enough what is your opinion ?

Thanks for the info but I think we might just grab a taxi to the cruise centre as I would be scared of getting lost lol

1. I really enjoyed the cruise. Chinese people are hard work though. They are definitely a rude race however, I didnt experience as much of that on board as I was expecting. My expectations of the cruise and China were rock bottom after reading on here and speaking to people who had been to China. As a result of my expectation being so low, I enjoyed it far better than I thought. Great selection of all types of food in all restaurants. The Windjammer was like a zoo. Chinese + Buffets = something from Armageddon...it was actually fascinating to watch on occasion. I do remember a couple of time being a bit turned off by their carry on. However, there was never really any issue with seats etc.

2. We were the only Diamonds and only Crown & Anchor on board as all were first time cruisers. As a result, we were allowed use the Conciege Lounge which was just for Suite Guests normally. After check In the concierge team found us and brought us the Gold Suite waiting area. We were first through security and onto the ship...we were very well looked after throughout the cruise...VIP everything. All other amenities as per normal.

3. 3 Nights is lots in Shanghai. You will see all you need to. As for getting to the ship, do what makes you feel more comfortable espeically if its only $15 as mentioned above. But if you follow my directions above you wont get lost. Subway very easy to follow and signs in English. Download the Shanghai metro map before you leave home and also Maps.Me. Remember Google, Facebook etc is banned in China.

Anything else, please do ask.

Hi, we are on QoS departing Shanghai on rhe 26th June. I am the control freak in our group and have hotels and transport worked out! I agree that the easiest and lowest stress is a taxi to the port. Especially as the weather will be hot and humid.

We are Crown and Anchor members, hope we get special service/invites

cheers

Hi, we are on QoS departing Shanghai on rhe 26th June. I am the control freak in our group and have hotels and transport worked out! I agree that the easiest and lowest stress is a taxi to the port. Especially as the weather will be hot and humid.

We are Crown and Anchor members, hope we get special service/invites

cheers

Currently on Ovation out of Tianjin (Beijing). If you are D or above you will be looked after like never before due to the numbers being so small. Not sure if you realise but things such as IFly and North Star are not complimentary sailing from Chinese ports. They come with a hefty charge. Dinning system is a little different as well. This again was/is on Ovation but I am led the believe that Quantum is the same.

I would have no hesitation taking a taxi in Shanghai. I did it frequently when I was there for three weeks while my husband was in hospital. My method was to get the front desk to write the details of where I wanted to go so I could show it to the taxi driver - very few speak English. The major hotels have doormen and when i wanted a taxi back to the hospital I would just ask the nearest doorman to cal a cab for me. They never failed me, even though I was not staying in their hotel.

We will be on Quantum later this year. It will be our first RCI cruise for many years, although we are Diamond from our Celebrity cruises.

hi how later is later in the year we are on the August 30th cruise 6 day Japan

Later than that one, but I don't like to mention the dates we will be away from home on an open forum. I hope you will post a review or at least some info about your cruise when you return. Have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just got back from this cruise and on the OP's topic we got a taxi from Naning Rd near Peoples Square and it was Y95 and took about 30mins. Returning we got a taxi from the dock back to the same place and he went the LONG way. Very suspicious, took over 1hr 15mins and the meter was Y190! Took a photo with my phone ir his registration number, driver ID and the meter amount. Suddenly we were given a discount to Y120. 😐 We paid that as fighting over small amounts just upsets the holiday.

RCI puts all obvious internationals through an express checkin line. We went from kerb to bar in under 30mins. Disembarking was another thing, took close tp 1hr 30mins.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app