Which Cruise Liberty or Symphony

stewarttm

Hello. I am having a hard time deciding between two cruises for February 2019.

The first is a 7 night Western Caribbean on Liberty of the Seas. The Ports of Call: Roatan, Belize City, and Cozumel.

The second is a 7 night Western Caribbean on Symphony of the Seas. The Ports of Call: Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Nassau.

I went on an Eastern Caribbean (St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Nassua) cruise on Allure in February and I will be going Labadee and Falmouth on Independence of the Seas in November.

I live in Michigan so I will have to fly either way. I will be booking an ocean view balcony on either ship. The $500 savings and port stop in Belize are really intriguing. But going on the new ship would be awesome. If you were picking, which one would you choose and why. I want to have my mind made up by November so I can book it on my next cruise.

I would choose Symphony because I don't like the hassle of flying to Galveston for a cruise.

I second this. Galveston is a pain as a fly in port. Also, they are subject to fog in the winter months, and, on average, much cooler than Fort Lauderdale.

I'd probably choose Symphony because she's new and I like the big girls, but Galveston improves more with transit from Houston, and especially from Hobby Airport, it's no farther to port than it is from MCO to Port Canaveral. Also, I love the friendliness of cruising with a Texas crowd.

I'd probably choose Symphony because she's new and I like the big girls, but Galveston improves more with transit from Houston, and especially from Hobby Airport, it's no farther to port than it is from MCO to Port Canaveral. Also, I love the friendliness of cruising with a Texas crowd.

Perhaps but still can't match the ease of the 10 minute ride from FLL to Port Everglades.

It's not the distance from the airport that makes Galveston tough for the fly-in cruiser. It's no convenient one-way car rentals to an agency open on the island on Sunday providing a free shuttle to the cruise terminals. Hotels that are much more expensive than Cocoa Beach that many times want a two night stay on the weekend. More expensive shuttle prices. Then there's the fog, which can delay arrival and cause more problems for the fly-in cruiser missing flights.

It's not the distance from the airport that makes Galveston tough for the fly-in cruiser. It's no convenient one-way car rentals to an agency open on the island on Sunday providing a free shuttle to the cruise terminals. Hotels that are much more expensive than Cocoa Beach that many times want a two night stay on the weekend. More expensive shuttle prices. Then there's the fog, which can delay arrival and cause more problems for the fly-in cruiser missing flights.

If folks book ahead for Galveston, there are rates similar to what we paid at Cocoa Beach. Only during summer months do some have a two night minimum. During the school year, most don't. More hotels have shuttles all the time. The one where we stay does, and our car stays free. There are quite a few this applies to.

Does it matter I will be flying Southwest so I will flying in to Hobby and Fort Lauderdale (Symphony leaves from Miami).

Hobby is closer to Galveston than IAH (45 minutes or so) about the same distance as FLL to Miami. I would still recommend Symphony as it is a new ship, easier transport to and from the port and warmer weather without the threat of fog.

Hobby is closer to Galveston than IAH (45 minutes or so) about the same distance as FLL to Miami. I would still recommend Symphony as it is a new ship, easier transport to and from the port and warmer weather without the threat of fog.

I didn't think it was that far from FLL to Miami. There are shuttle Options as well as a train transport.

I didn't think it was that far from FLL to Miami. There are shuttle Options as well as a train transport.

That has been my experiences, it probably depends on traffic. Yes there are multiple transport options, some private some shared, that can be as cheap as $15-20 per person.

Forgot to add the Miami sail away can't be beat :)

We sailed away from Miami on Equinox in May, and had an unintentional sailaway in August on The Liberty Harvey cruise on Day 10 of our 7 day cruise from Galveston. [emoji23] It's a beautiful sailaway. In May, we stayed a couple of nights at the Intercontinental and had a harbor view better than the PTZ webcam.

We sailed away from Miami on Equinox in May, and had an unintentional sailaway in August on The Liberty Harvey cruise on Day 10 of our 7 day cruise from Galveston. [emoji23] It's a beautiful sailaway. In May, we stayed a couple of nights at the Intercontinental and had a harbor view better than the PTZ webcam.

Nice. Congrats on surviving the Harvey cruise!

If folks book ahead for Galveston, there are rates similar to what we paid at Cocoa Beach. Only during summer months do some have a two night minimum. During the school year, most don't. More hotels have shuttles all the time. The one where we stay does, and our car stays free. There are quite a few this applies to.

Hotel Galvez and Harbor House both wanted two nights in January and September.

Hotel Galvez and Harbor House both wanted two nights in January and September.

Holiday Inn Galveston Resort at 5000 Seawall doesn't along with many others in town. We were there in August. Prompt shuttle to port and our car stayed 2 weeks free, as was the shuttle. In all my cruises from G, I have never been able to make Harbor House work for me.

Holiday Inn Galveston Resort at 5000 Seawall doesn't along with many others in town. We were there in August. Prompt shuttle to port and our car stayed 2 weeks free, as was the shuttle. In all my cruises from G, I have never been able to make Harbor House work for me.

We lucked out and got the Harbor House for one night way back in January 2008. Never again.

Symphony will be an updated version of Allure with a bunch of differences but first question is how much you liked Allure and whether you want something similar.

Liberty is similar to Independence so you will already get to experience this class of ship and the question is whether you want to repeat being on a similar ship.

I have never sailed from Galveston so can't comment.

My personal vote would be for Symphony but you might find a big price difference that may influence your choice. If you have never sailed on Independence or similar ships then I would wait until after your cruise in Nov before making a decision.

Before you make your decision I would do some research on Belize. While we enjoy Belize many of our friends do not because of the way you enter the city from the port which they say it is too scary. For me it would be an easy decision Symphony because we love the Oasis class ships, Roatan (zip lines) and Nassau (fish restaurants).