Destination Venezuela

oldguysandgalls

Isla Margarita (Porlamar) was a wonderful port in spite of the fact that Princess told us otherwise.

We had a wonderful tour (2006) in a new Mercedes van with a local driver and Mr Money...our english speaking guide.

There was substantial tourist infrastructure on the island, beautiful beaches and friendly locals.

We would go back in a heartbeat, but no one currently goes there and, as mentioned, the current economic situation is abysmal.

I have no doubt the local tourist economy is in tatters.

We did a Costa cruise in 84 out of San Juan that went to Caracas.

Hard to believe it was once a tourist port compared to what Venezuela is now.

I even still have a 4 x 4 hand painted tile that says made in Venezuela on the back in Spanish.

Oh and a few of ahem "Rolex" watches that we bought for around $25!

When we were there we took a lovely shore excursion to a wonderful little town called La Asuncion, It was one of the most tranquil places we ever visited.

We later learned that Pope John Paul the Second was supposed to visit that town on one of his pilgrimages but his helicopter aborted the mission due to heavy fog in the area. He blessed the town from above while flying over La Asuncion.

I even still have a 4 x 4 hand painted tile that says made in Venezuela on the back in Spanish.

I have one of those tiles ..hanging in my bathroom

We spent 2 wks on Margarita Is back in '85

not many tourists then ;)

Not just the economics, as evidenced by the hyperinflation.

Also shortages of food, medicine and basic supplies. Hospitals unable to treat patients, supermarkets with barren shelves and a population fleeing the country. A petroleum industry falling apart and unable to pay its bills. And ever escalating street violence.

Yep - sounds like a perfect cruise stop. I think I'd even rather visit North Korea.

When we were there in 95 (I believe) we took a trip into the mountains to a glass blowing factory. Fascinating and a bunch cooler than Caracas. Our guide was so proud of the subway with the rubber wheels - so quiet. And we had a great lunch there too. Too bad things have happened to keep the cruise lines away.

Nicaragua is in a similar situation now, too unstable to have ships stop there (even though the itineraries still show that).

Jim

We were there on a cruise in the 70's. Took a shore excursion to Caracas--unbelievable, even then, both the multitude of skyscrapers and beautiful downtown and the miles and miles of cardboard/tin shacks. I can't imagine going there today.

We also visited Isla Margarita int he early 2000's. It was fine, but nothing spectacular.

What a shame to have a beautiful country destroyed by political craziness.

We had port calls at Caracas a number of times an truly never much liked it. We ere almost always in port t side cabin and the view up the hills across form where the ship docked was of such awful poverty and the smell awful. I would try to avoid any itinerary that included a stop there, I'm unsure how safe cruise pax would be to walk the streets. What would be an attraction, now, to go there?

I too have fond memories of Isla Margarita.

And of Caracas - but not its port, La Guira, which was dangerous even 10 years ago.

Popular with cruise lines because Venezuela was best value for refuelling, and cheap for cruisers too.

Probably even better value currently, but waaay too unstable.

Sadly it's very definitely best to steer clear until the country resolves its serious problems.

JB :)

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible that Venezuela offers a steep discount on ship fuel these days.?

The Prinsendam is scheduled to visit Isla De Margarita on Mar 20, 2019. This appears to be the only cruise visiting there in 2019. HAL informed passengers that Americans will not need to obtain a visa.

Even way back in 1995 it wasn't all that safe.

We were on a ships tour in Caracas and were visiting some government compound when a riot broke out. The gates to the compound were shut, soldiers came running with bayonets on their rifles. I don't remember how long we were trapped inside but it was terrifying.

We also had port calls in Caracas in the late 90's and it was not really enjoyable. The ships docked across from a High hill covered with the poorest of shack homes and t he most awful smell. It felt so terrible to be on a luxury cruise ship and know that same as we looked up the hill to that profound povert y, they looked down t he hill at the ship. I was always happy when we sailed away. I don't remember feeling unsaf e or threatened.