Tendering Question

jammer1000

Hi, my Dad is coming with us on our next cruise and has recently become more disabled with Motor Neurone Disease. Currently he can walk shorter distances with 2 sticks and uses a scooter for longer distances. He has significant difficulty get up from chairs. He will have plenty of help available from myself, my husband and my older sons. We are going to rent a scooter. Is he likely to be able to get off the ship in Grand Cayman a tender port? I have no clue as this is all new to us. It doesn't matter if he can't get off, just be nice if he could. Thanks for the advice.

How does your dad do on stairs? There will be three or fours steps to enter and exit the tender. Also, is the scooter you are renting under 100 lbs? I use a small travelscoot scooter which weighs only 35 lbs. Since it collapses it has never been refused on a tender. I think the staff is only allowed to lift 50 lbs. IF there is a drive-on tender it should not be a problem. I don't know what is used at Grand Cayman. However, I have been refused when the seas are the least bit rough. As my disability has advanced (post-polio) and I have aged, I am more reluctant to do tenders as the roughness of the ocean can be very different when returning from shore than it was when departing.

Yes he can do steps. His balance isn't great though. He will have a foldable wheelchair we can take with us. Sounds as though he might be able to get off but we won't know til the day in view of sea conditions? This will be a new experience for all of us! Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Used to be that no one who could not do a lot of stairs could get off at Grand Caymen because of the port not the ships. Now there is a new dock for tenders and another where tenders come from shore. Depending on which area your ship is assigned your Dad may have no problem getting on and off at GC.

I would suggest you contact the actual cruise line in question. Recent thread was about a change in policy where pax had to be able to step over and across a certain distance UNAIDED. You should not depend on this board for a definitive answer.

I use a rollator and had no trouble with tendering into Grand Cayman. The crew helped me down the stairs onto the tender and took the folded rollator down. We went to the turtle farm and to "Hell." Both were accessible. Hope this helps.

So glad to hear that hell is accessible! I went there with my former wife. She literally took me to hell and back. I do hope she has a chance to return someday. Since I am now, most happily remarried, I have no intentions of returning and my present wife has no intentions of taking me there! :evilsmile::evilsmile:

Edited by 1980dory
correct spelling error