Iower decks

silver service

The Galley Slaves.

A large area where the rowers keep their oars.

If not that, crew facilities where they eat and sleep during the few hours they are not working. Of course the engines and fuel need to be somewhere as do the huge stores of food and drink before it is consumed. Medical centre also seems to be in the bowels.

A large area where the rowers keep their oars.

If not that, crew facilities where they eat and sleep during the few hours they are not working. Of course the engines and fuel need to be somewhere as do the huge stores of food and drink before it is consumed. Medical centre also seems to be in the bowels.

Depends on the ship design. Many ships have a long wide corridor from bow to stern. Working spaces, crew recreation, stores handling, tender embarkation and other areas are often off this corridor. The corridor allow equipment, supplies and crew to move around the ship unseen by passengers just going up the crew stair towers to the passenger areas where needed.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I suppose i invited the humour! However i am serious.

I would have thought most passengers would like to know,

What is beyound the crew only signs. Just a glimpse of the shiny

Painted stairs and walls, through an open door.

It's a brave new world down there, almost unimaginable to passengers. I had no idea just how enormous the space was through the centre of the ship. The main thoroughfare is called the I-95. It is brightly lit, spotlessly clean and not at all dingy. It's the crew's secret world. My son worked for Crystal Cruises for many years and we visited him several times in ports-of-call across the world. Interesting times.

On a serious note, we once got onto an elevator searching for the gangway exit but which took us to one of those floors. Not sure how. Security were all over us. But we did have a quick look around and if you can picture going down a corridor of one of our passenger decks and then remove the carpet and all the wall coatings leaving cold steel walls lit by crude florescent lighting, you may have a picture. A glance into the sleeping quarters saw two two-level bunk beds with the most rudimentary furniture. It felt cold and damp and I have had a special admiration and appreciation for the people who work for us aboard ship ever since.