Regent Vibe

sasset

New to this board but longtime CC member. How would you describe the 'Vibe' on Regent cruises? We have done many Celebrity cruises and are looking at an upcoming Regent cruise. Just curious if anyone can draw a comparison. Are there formal nights or have they gone to the more casual chic or whatever Celebrity and others now call it, etc.

Thanks

New to this board but longtime CC member. How would you describe the 'Vibe' on Regent cruises? We have done many Celebrity cruises and are looking at an upcoming Regent cruise. Just curious if anyone can draw a comparison. Are there formal nights or have they gone to the more casual chic or whatever Celebrity and others now call it, etc.

Thanks

I’ve only been on the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda and the RSSC Voyager, both during the summer. The vibe is similar, very low key but friendly. The demographics skew older on RSSC but there were children and young adults during the summer. No formal night unless the cruise is over 14 nights.

We took our first and likely last Celebrity cruise last month (Pacific Coastal route). I did not feel that Celebrity is like Regent at all (acknowledging that everyone has different likes and dislikes).

On Celebrity they try to sell you something every minute (the happened twice within the first hour that we were onboard and that was in the "private" restaurant and lounge reserved for suite guests).

Food on Regent is better. In our opinion the buffet quality on Celebrity's Infinity was so bad that we went ashore every day for lunch (because there were no "sit down" restaurants open on port days.

Service on Regent is better (when our butler on Celebrity came by on the last day - presumably to get a tip - my DH had no idea who he was.) I saw him briefly twice.

It is difficult to describe a "vibe". Basically Regent is laid back - no super loud music by the pool - no super loud music throughout the ship. Fairly quiet at night (but there is usually one lounge that caters to people who enjoy staying up late to dance).

Regent passengers can have fun but in a quieter way. I could go on and on but it is not easy to compare a premium cruise line with a luxury cruise line.

We took our first and likely last Celebrity cruise last month (Pacific Coastal route). I did not feel that Celebrity is like Regent at all (acknowledging that everyone has different likes and dislikes).

On Celebrity they try to sell you something every minute (the happened twice within the first hour that we were onboard and that was in the "private" restaurant and lounge reserved for suite guests).

Food on Regent is better. In our opinion the buffet quality on Celebrity's Infinity was so bad that we went ashore every day for lunch (because there were no "sit down" restaurants open on port days.

Service on Regent is better (when our butler on Celebrity came by on the last day - presumably to get a tip - my DH had no idea who he was.) I saw him briefly twice.

It is difficult to describe a "vibe". Basically Regent is laid back - no super loud music by the pool - no super loud music throughout the ship. Fairly quiet at night (but there is usually one lounge that caters to people who enjoy staying up late to dance).

Regent passengers can have fun but in a quieter way. I could go on and on but it is not easy to compare a premium cruise line with a luxury cruise line.

Completely agree!

Completely agree!

We have been on Celebrity 5 times and on Regent 5 times the best way for me to compare the differences is Celebrity is like driving a Ford Focus and Regent is like a Lexus LS 460

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been on Celebrity 5 times and on Regent 5 times the best way for me to compare the differences is Celebrity is like driving a Ford Focus and Regent is like a Lexus LS 460

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Taking this analogy further, if anybody knows a cruise line that is like a Ferrari F40 can they let me know who it is please:)

We haven't been on Celebrity in a very long time, over 10 years, but I totally agree with what the above posters said. We would not sail with them again. Even back then, my husband was complaining, and I just kept telling him "this isn't Regent".

I found this thread useful as we were toying with trying Celebrity to give them a shot. Might reconsider unless it's a smoking deal.

Same here- which one is the BMW X5 class? [emoji38]

The one constantly in dry dock! LOL! :)

• Like 2

In my opinion, a good alternative to Celebrity would be Oceania (the two larger ships - not the small ones). Oceania is a level up from Celebrity - they do not try to sell you things every minute - you do not pay for water (still blows me away that you pay for water on Celebrity) or soft drinks. Some of their promotions allow you to select between some included excursions, a wine package (upgradable to a liquor package for a reasonable amount of money per day) ... and a couple of other options.

Food on Oceania is better than Celebrity as is the service.

I found this thread useful as we were toying with trying Celebrity to give them a shot. Might reconsider unless it's a smoking deal.

The one constantly in dry dock! LOL! :)

IMO, we had a "smoking deal". We were in a large suite, had included alcohol, internet for two people, included dining in specialty restaurants, included gratuities and $300 OBC. The alcohol package typically costs $69/day/person (for drinks that cost up to $15 although you can order an unlimited number of drinks). The specialty restaurants run from $40-$55/person. We dined in specialty restaurants half of the time and the other half in a private restaurant reserved for "suite guests". We also had cocktails in a private lounge (reserved for suite guests).

If you are interested in Celebrity, I posted a blog from our cruise in CC's "Luxury" board (as we were trying to determine if one dan have a luxury experience on a premium cruise line.

We aren’t the big cruise folks, having been on four cruises ( Regent - Alaska, Miami-Lima) and

Celebrity (Galapagos, Norway) , we normally do land trips. Celebrity has a better mix of ages and backgrounds and can be a bit more fun in a sense, but we were in the aqua club class which I liked because the main dining room was more to my liking. They will hound for upgrades for dinner and we had lots of interesting wine problems. The bottom line and the main reason I like Regent better - I write that big check up front and for the most part besides a great bottle of wine or a massage - No ONE ASKS ME FOR MORE $$$$$.

• 1 month later...

We are in our 60's and met many other couples in our age range.  We went on our first Regent cruise last July and there were some families, not a lot, which we prefer unless the kids or 14 and up. I enjoyed talking to several teenagers on board and ate lunch with a couple in their 30's on a tour.  The dinners were between casual and formal.  No long dresses, thank goodness and they guys didn't have to wear suites, but everyone dressed up and looked great.   The vib was somewhat quite but the entertainment at night was top notch.  And then I like going back to the room and sitting on the veranda.  Veranda's were large and comfortable.  I too love writing one check and having everything covered.  I don't think everyone stops to think how much they pay with business class airfare, tips, tours, etc, etc.   The food was outstanding and the rooms beautiful.  We choose to sit with other couples at dinner and enjoyed getting to know them.  Best vacation ever!  I would choose Regent over any of the other cruise lines we have been on every time!  

• Like 1

We did our first cruise on Regent when we were around 40 and 48 and although we were a bit under the average age we had a blast.  Neither my wife nor I are big partners but we enjoy socializing over drinks, dancing, etc and we never had a problem finding interesting people to chat with.  We tried one non-Regent cruise and came right back to Regent and we’ve been there ever since.

For my wife’s upcoming ## birthday we were looking at some alternatives just to maybe save some money and do something a bit different.  After all of our research, we ended up on Voyager again.  Go figure.

We might be accused of being Regent apologists or cheerleaders or whatever, but in ten years we haven’t found anything that suits us better.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Neither my wife nor I are big partners but we enjoy socializing over drinks, dancing, etc

Although I have never met either you or your wife, I sure hope that you are good partners  :classic_love:

We have been on two previous cruises... our first was 5 years ago (Regent: Navigator). The second was 3 years ago (Celebrity: Eclipse).

We tried hard to make the Celebrity cruise as close to our fabulous Regent Experience (Celebrity drinks package, upgraded suite with its private DR/Club perks, etc ).

Sorry to say, the Celebrity Cruise was just OK, for all the reasons listed in above posts...I loathe being ‘marketed’ to! It frankly felt ‘cheap’, except that it cost just the same as Regent!

Regent strikes that perfect balance of quiet calm AND lots of activities... we made many friends and thoroughly enjoyed the cruise.

Happy to report that we are on back on Regent (Voyager) in January.....:)