Alaska on Azamara--no Glacier Bay?

hiccups

My husband has decided he doesn't want to go to Europe next year, so now I'm researching Alaska cruises. Looking at the Azamara itineraries, it appears none of them go to Glacier Bay. Not being familiar with Alaska, though, I wondered if I'm just missing it on the maps.

Any input on itineraries and ports is welcomed, even if it's not on Azamara, since we're looking for the best experience possible, of course. I think this will be the only time I can get my husband to go there :)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2619078&highlight=Glacier+Bay

above is some longer discussion about Glacier Bay, Princess and Azamara you might find interesting

Thank you. I saw that thread earlier but hoped I was wrong about Azamara :) My TA said Glacier Bay is limited to HAL, Princess and NCL, and even then, only on certain ships. Based on some input from my TA and friends I think I'll start looking at HAL itineraries with a land tour.

Alaska is great. Sailed there 20 years ago with extended family group. Had a good time. However, I now want the cruise to be as important as the destination ports. I like smaller ships, small group tours, and fewer kids. If you want to see Glacier Bay, you have to sail on Holland America. HAL does a good cruise. However, HAL is mass market and has lots of people on their ships. Summer on HAL has lots of kids. If you value the intimate small ship experience, you will not be happy on HAL. There are many ships doing Alaska next year. We looked into several cruise lines going to Alaska. We axed any that had "kids sail free", big ships, and several lines that do not meet our needs. We chose Azamara.

Glacier Bay is a don't-miss. It's still a step down from Azamara, but I would recommend Coral Princess – it is one of the smaller ships in the Princess fleet and since it is a Panamax design it is long and narrow, giving it lots of room on the long Promenade Deck plus it has public viewing balconies fore and aft.

Also check out the Alaska forum on Cruise Critic:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Lots of information about how to save money and maximize flexibility by doing the land portion DIY rather than getting stuck in "glitter gulch" in the Princess or HAL mega-hotels.

I did Princess the first time. Then took Celebrity for longer port times. I did a land tour thrust Princess. Rhry own their own hotels. Just ok hotels. I did some touring on my own and enjoyed it more rhinos the planned land tours. Celebrity I did a mix. Celebrity lead to to AZ.

Lots of good advice--thank you! We've sailed on HAL and it was all right; Princess would be a new line for us. A co-worker just came back from a Canadian cruise on Princess and was very disappointed, but she was comparing it to a Celebrity cruise 10+ years ago. Even Celebrity wouldn't be the same experience after that much time.

Lots of good advice--thank you! We've sailed on HAL and it was all right; Princess would be a new line for us. A co-worker just came back from a Canadian cruise on Princess and was very disappointed, but she was comparing it to a Celebrity cruise 10+ years ago. Even Celebrity wouldn't be the same experience after that much time.

Unfortunately even Azamara cannot compare to what it was 10 years ago, it was when we had our best cruises.

Unfortunately even Azamara cannot compare to what it was 10 years ago, it was when we had our best cruises.

Not sure I can agree with that comment after 9 years of cruising Azamara , agreed lots of changes since the early days, but it’s been an overall case of continual improvement in my personal view. Pursuit being a case in point. (ducks below parapet;))

Not sure I can agree with that comment after 9 years of cruising Azamara , agreed lots of changes since the early days, but it’s been an overall case of continual improvement in my personal view. Pursuit being a case in point. (ducks below parapet;))

Everyone is entitled to their views, I stand by mine, many of the changes have not been for the better in my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their views, I stand by mine, many of the changes have not been for the better in my opinion.

Your original post stated it as a fact rather than your opinion which is why Azamarajunkie replied in the way they did. My experience after 7 years is much the same as theirs. There have been changes, but I have at least as much of an enjoyable experience now as I did in 2011. In some ways with the addition of updated venues it’s better.

You have read some of my frustrations here, but overall I am very satisfied with the product and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Azamara. In fact I did that with friends who joined me in June and they absolutely loved it.

Phil

Your original post stated it as a fact rather than your opinion which is why Azamarajunkie replied in the way they did. My experience after 7 years is much the same as theirs. There have been changes, but I have at least as much of an enjoyable exper2ience now as I did in 2011. In some ways with the addition of updated venues it’s better.

You have read some of my frustrations here, but overall I

am very satisfied with the product and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Azamara. In fact I did that with friends who joined me in June and they absolutely loved it.

Phil

I never meant to imply that Azamara was not still a good product, just not has good has it was in the beginning.

I see that you missed the best 3 years anyway Phil.