All Inclusive photos vs Platinum Studio

txwriter

It’s $199 for the all inclusive photo package and $250 for platinum studio (with $200 extra “free” dollars for $450 value total).

I know basically what the all inclusive package includes, but what does the platinum studio package entail? Has anyone done this?

I’m taking my mom on her bucket list trip and trying to decide if photo splurge is worth it.

Thanks,

Jamie

I believe the Platinum Studio is more of a "credit" towards services rather than an inclusive package. So you prepay the $250 and get the extra $200, for a total of $450 to apply towards your photo purchases. I don't think that amount will get you a lot of photos. Reviews have generally been good on the quality, but the cost for a comprehensive set of photos is high.

The all inclusive package will give you decent quality and a lot of photos, if you take the time to pose at the various stations.

It was a couple of years ago. We bought the CD that had 3 photos on it from Platinum Studios on the Crown. We had many, many more to choose from. The photos were of excellent quality. The price for the sitting and the three photos on CD that we later had printed at Costco was between $900 and $1000.

Cheers.

It was a couple of years ago. We bought the CD that had 3 photos on it from Platinum Studios on the Crown. We had many, many more to choose from. The photos were of excellent quality. The price for the sitting and the three photos on CD that we later had printed at Costco was between $900 and $1000.

Cheers.

3 photos for $900 or about $300 per pic? 😱. And they aren’t even framed just digital? Yeah, that’s too steep for me. I was thinking the $450 would buy a little more. Too bad. I know sitting with the photographer will get better lighting and better pictures plus those might include touch ups. But based on your info, I’ll have to pass.

I appreciate the input.

Jamie

That was a couple of years ago. They may have changed their pricing and policies. Ask. It was a bit of sticker shock. But we had all our kids, spouses and grandkids together (which rarely happens) and these photos were much better than those taken in the hallways. Believe me if those had been fine, we would have taken them. They weren't. It does take special skills to get good photos of six adults and three children ranging in age from 7 months to 6 six years. We decided to bite the bullet and get them.

That was a couple of years ago. They may have changed their pricing and policies. Ask. It was a bit of sticker shock. But we had all our kids, spouses and grandkids together (which rarely happens) and these photos were much better than those taken in the hallways. Believe me if those had been fine, we would have taken them. They weren't. It does take special skills to get good photos of six adults and three children ranging in age from 7 months to 6 six years. We decided to bite the bullet and get them.

True. And I’m sure if we had that type of group, we’d feel exactly the same way. 😄

But it is just my mother and myself. It is a special cruise which is why I considered it at all. I wonder how much the sitting fee costs of the $450. I think I may call and see if Princess can answer. It’s probably not cheaper since prices rarely seem to drop these days, but it’s worth checking.

True. And I’m sure if we had that type of group, we’d feel exactly the same way. ��

But it is just my mother and myself. It is a special cruise which is why I considered it at all. I wonder how much the sitting fee costs of the $450. I think I may call and see if Princess can answer. It’s probably not cheaper since prices rarely seem to drop these days, but it’s worth checking.

When we did the Platinum studio, there was no sitting fee and no obligation to purchase anything. I do not know if that has changed.

The picture that we did purchase was mailed to us and we did not purchase a digital image.

In any event, the Platinum studio is quite different from the all inclusive photo package (which I will call AIPP).

AIPP: Photos taken around the ship (casual, formal, dining room, etc.) and at initial embarkation and when disembarking at each port of call.

Platinum: Photos taken inside the Platinum studio.

AIPP: Non-formal photos are usually 6x8. Formal photos are usually 8x10.

Platinum: Photos can be in sizes you select starting at 8x10.

AIPP: Normal cost of each photo ranges from about $15 to $25.

Platinum: Photos can each cost close to $200 and up, depending on size.

AIPP: All photos are in color.

Platinium: All photos are in black and white

AIPP: You leave the shop at the end of the cruise with all of your pictures.

Platinum: Any photos you purchase will be shipped to your home several weeks after the cruise.

AIPP: What you see is what you get. No retouching.

Platinum: Professional retouching (done on land before you receive the pictures). For example, stray hairs sticking up will be eliminated.

AIPP: Depending on the situation, one, two or several photos may be taken and included in the package. For example, one photo when you exit the ship at a port of call. Several poses for formal night pictures.

Platinum: The number of poses taken can be several dozen or more. You then select (from a TV screen) with the aid of the photographer which pictures you actually want to purchase.

We (my wife and I) did the Platinum Studio on our Hawaii cruise last September. It was a true professional photo shoot (my wife was a model in here early years so she knows). The shoot took about an hour. The photographer was very good. He knew how to pose us to get the best shots.

The next day we spent another hour with the photographer selecting which photos we wanted printed. We previewed them on a large TV screen in a very comfortable living-room like setting. He had them grouped into similar poses (Two of us playful, two of us serious, individuals of each, etc. etc.). As we went through each grouping he would show two or three at a time and we would pick the one we liked better. With that process we winnowed over 100 photos down to about 10. Then came the process of deciding which to buy. Each can be printed in sizes from 8x10 on up. Pricing is a bit weird and is based on "points" with each size photo assigned a number of points based on its size and the dollar cost of a point varies by the total number of points for the pictures you buy. We did not like this approach at all but by that time we were in love with our pictures. Bottom line we got a 16 x 20 and six 8x10s for $1,200

It’s $199 for the all inclusive photo package and $250 for platinum studio (with $200 extra “free” dollars for $450 value total).

I know basically what the all inclusive package includes, but what does the platinum studio package entail? Has anyone done this?

I’m taking my mom on her bucket list trip and trying to decide if photo splurge is worth it.

Thanks,

Jamie

Why don’t you make up your own via Apple, Snap or others . It’s more personal and your mom will be in the pictures . Also, you will spend a lot less. ! Maybe enough to buy some jewelry!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why don’t you make up your own via Apple, Snap or others . It’s more personal and your mom will be in the pictures . Also, you will spend a lot less. ! Maybe enough to buy some jewelry!

Well, for one, we are both terrible selfie takers. 😂. And when we try, we always have one of us liking the picture the other one hates.

Also, neither of us does Snap.

When we did the Platinum studio, there was no sitting fee and no obligation to purchase anything. I do not know if that has changed.

The picture that we did purchase was mailed to us and we did not purchase a digital image.

In any event, the Platinum studio is quite different from the all inclusive photo package (which I will call AIPP).

AIPP: Photos taken around the ship (casual, formal, dining room, etc.) and at initial embarkation and when disembarking at each port of call.

Platinum: Photos taken inside the Platinum studio.

AIPP: Non-formal photos are usually 6x8. Formal photos are usually 8x10.

Platinum: Photos can be in sizes you select starting at 8x10.

AIPP: Normal cost of each photo ranges from about $15 to $25.

Platinum: Photos can each cost close to $200 and up, depending on size.

AIPP: All photos are in color.

Platinium: All photos are in black and white

AIPP: You leave the shop at the end of the cruise with all of your pictures.

Platinum: Any photos you purchase will be shipped to your home several weeks after the cruise.

AIPP: What you see is what you get. No retouching.

Platinum: Professional retouching (done on land before you receive the pictures). For example, stray hairs sticking up will be eliminated.

AIPP: Depending on the situation, one, two or several photos may be taken and included in the package. For example, one photo when you exit the ship at a port of call. Several poses for formal night pictures.

Platinum: The number of poses taken can be several dozen or more. You then select (from a TV screen) with the aid of the photographer which pictures you actually want to purchase.

Thank you for the excellent details. I appreciate it. 😄

Do I understand correctly that the AIPP is all of the various pictures taken of you around the ship during the cruise (e.g. embarkation, dining room, disembarkation at each port, etc.)? Does it include all of the photos you may have had taken at the various photo stations set up around the piazza entrances on formal nights etc.? So if you buy an AIPP can you make sure you stop by each and every one of those photo stations during the cruise and have those included?

We typically avoid the photos when disembarking at a port and only do maybe one of the photo stations but if we could do 5 or 6 of those "mini photo shoots" at the photo stations and they were included in the AIPP it might be worth it.

Yes, the all inclusive photo package includes ALL of the photos taken around the ship EXCEPT those taken in the Platinum Studio. I am not a fan of black and white photos so have never been interested in those. We did get great value from the AIPP on our Baltic cruise last summer.

Thanks,

Jamie

The All inclusive photo package is a great deal! We've done it on two cruises and were very happy with it. We ended up with about 25 photos on one cruise and 35 on another. Not all the photos were great, but you get a hard copy and a digital copy. So if you find one you like you can get copies made.

When my mom retired my sister and I took her on her first every cruise. We got the photo package for that trip and then put the photos on a photo frame along with all the camera photos. I did zero editing so some of the photos we took were laughable, but now mom has this digital photo running in the background at her house all the time.

Enjoy your cruise!

Yes, the all inclusive photo package includes ALL of the photos taken around the ship EXCEPT those taken in the Platinum Studio. I am not a fan of black and white photos so have never been interested in those. We did get great value from the AIPP on our Baltic cruise last summer.

It also does not include photos taken if you have the Ultimate Balcony Dinner or a wedding or wedding renewal ceremony. For those you only get the number of pictures included in those special occasion packages, not all that were taken.

We (my wife and I) did the Platinum Studio on our Hawaii cruise last September...... Bottom line we got a 16 x 20 and six 8x10s for $1,200

This may sound expensive, but it is in line with what similar pictures would cost at a professional photo studio on land. (And this does not mean Wal-Mart type photo operations.)

This may sound expensive, but it is in line with what similar pictures would cost at a professional photo studio on land. (And this does not mean Wal-Mart type photo operations.)

We're very happy with the photos and the price and know they are professional studio quality.

I just would prefer that they be up front with the prices rather than the "flim-flam" points approach. IMHO that took that part of the experience down from "buying a Mercedes Benz" to "Dan-the-Man's Used Cars"

It’s been a few years, but if my memory is correct, the Platinum Studio is the small, exclusive one with professional photographers that actually know how to take outstanding photos. We bit the bullet and paid a hefty sum for this service and were very pleased with the quality of the package. A chimpanzee could do better than the standard fare in the public areas. The Platinum photographer really knew her stuff and took the time to educate us on the best attire, etc. She spent a lot of time with us and the results showed it. Expensive, but worth it.